Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

photoshop freezing up

Old 02-01-2009, 06:03 PM

photoshop freezing up

Hi
I recently had my mother board replace on my computer, I reinstalled photoshop 7.0 and ever since every time I try to bevel and emboss the program freezes and my pointer or cursor turns into the hand. I have to alt shift delete to get back out of the program, any suggestions
Thanks a head of time Karin
PS I am running OS vista it used to work fine before the replacement of the mother board
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2009, 12:23 AM

Re: photoshop freezing up

It sounds like you did not reload the operating system after replacing the MB. Unfortunately, Vista (like XP) retains thousands of hardware related settings in the registry (hive). Changing the MB without allowing the OS to recreate these settings is just asking for problems. The only real fix is to reload the OS (and of course all your app's).

It certainly could be something else. However, if you haven't found the culprit after a few days, it is often less time consuming to bite the bullet and reload the OS and all your app's.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2009, 03:13 PM

Re: photoshop freezing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutegraphic View Post
Hi
I recently had my mother board replace on my computer, I reinstalled photoshop 7.0 and ever since every time I try to bevel and emboss the program freezes and my pointer or cursor turns into the hand. I have to alt shift delete to get back out of the program, any suggestions
Thanks a head of time Karin
PS I am running OS vista it used to work fine before the replacement of the mother board
When you changed the motherboard, did you uninstall the old motherboard / hardware drivers?
If not, do so and install the drivers for the new one from the CD which came with.

Don't know what TommyO means with "reload the OS and apps" but if this is meant as a reinstall: don't.
MS is odd sometimes, but not that odd, that we would have to reinstall OS and apps all the time we change mobo. ;-) I changed mine three times within last year...

Just make sure you remove all old hardware related drivers. Especially CPU- and PCI-drivers. Also make sure to uninstall any graphic drivers and use the one which came on the CD or even better get the newest from vendors website. When uninstalling do all in one session, means if you get asked to reboot, say not yet and keep on going uninstall the others.

Load the CD and install new drivers. Boot and wait until new hardware is discovered. Most of all drivers will be found and loaded.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help