Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Tracing in PS

Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 AM

Tracing in PS

Greetings,

I'm using PhotoShop 7 and have the scanned image of a hand-drawn logo. It's a fairly simple sketch that I'd like to trace making the lines the same thichness, but maybe tappering off the ends.

I'd consider myself a Novice PS user, at best. Any advise you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thansk much!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Patron

Re: Tracing in PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbert View Post
Greetings,
I'm using PhotoShop 7 and have the scanned image of a hand-drawn logo. It's a fairly simple sketch that I'd like to trace making the lines the same thichness, but maybe tappering off the ends.
I'd consider myself a Novice PS user, at best. Any advise you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thansk much!
bilbert, welcome to RetouchPRO , I hope you will make many new friends and enjoy your visits here!

You would like to trace it to a piece of paper? tape it on the monitor...

To put the lines on a new layer.. select the lines (using any of the selection tools).. Ctrl+J to make a new layer with the lines.. taper them with a mask

Practice Cubed!

PS.. posting a sample would help!

** scroll down and click "Manage Attachments" under Additional Options.. if it is a REPLY then click "Go Advanced" below the reply box then scroll down and click "Manage Attachments" under Additional Options...,
Click for Info on how to size and attach images to your posts
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/ima...ed-images.html
After you post your less than 100K version here, you could also post a larger version at ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO)-- then post a link here in this thread to the site that is hosting your larger version.

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 02-23-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 AM

While you could trace it, it can be hard if you don't have a pen tablet. And it's not very adjustable if you make a mistake.

It may be easier to use the "pen tool" within Photoshop. It can be a little tricky if you have never used it. But, that image will give you some good practice. It is essentially like making a "connect the dots" diagram. You're just defining the dots, usually at critical curvatures. The only additional task is at each dot, click hold and drag out just a bit to add an adjustment line for that dot. Then just release and do the next dot. You can adjust each curve later using those adjustment lines.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Can you post a copy of it?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help