Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Question about PS C4

Old 02-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Question about PS C4

Sorry if I am in the wrong forum but it has been a long time. I am finally doing market research to see if there are enough people that have photos or old VCR's or ond 8mm tapes of family members they may want to have improved or retouched. I have the equipment to deal with all this media and I'm not looking to make a "killin" but it's more a hobby I want to pay for itself. Question is... should I go ahead and get PS CS4 and also what printer would you suggest using if I stayed in the realm of 10 X 12. I have not upgraded PS since ver. 7.0. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I thank you ahead of time... John Bolt (Poppi)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Re: Question about PS C4

As in most any other business, the answer lies more in marketing than in purchasing the right stuff. For a savvy person who can get the right words in the right ears there is a lot of opportunity. That said, there are enough improvements since PS7 to more than warrant the upgrade, for speed of throughput if nothing else (but there's plenty else).

As for printers, for a business investment I'd go with one of the new HPs or Canons that have their own internal calibrators. And you're missing some good business opportunities by limiting yourself to 12" max.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 AM

You may be right about the 12" limitation... but I have always looked to Epson's 2200 series and their upgrades to handle that kind of thing...

You can tell I'm getting back into this after a 4 - 5 year span... so any help I can get is totally appreciated...

John (Poppi)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2009, 08:00 PM

I would agree with Doug. Also, on the VHS or 8mm, I prefer some software for the capture that has more automatic settings available. Most of the suites such as Roxio's are very sufficient for the capture and editing of home movies. You really don't need anything fancy, as people don't want it edited, just converted. About the only editing you need to do is clipping the ends.

Also, don't forget all those audios. My wife has tons of audio sets, mostly professional series with 6 to 8 tapes per set, that I've been converting. It's a bit slow, but the automatic settings make it very easy. I can automate everything from ending the capture to naming the files. Just two clicks per side of each tape.

Just a thought !
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help