RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Layers?

Old 03-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Layers?

Is it possible to take a photo that has been flattened in Photoshop and unflatten it so that the individual layers are seen again?
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Re: Layers?

Not once the file has been saved without those layers intact. It is irreversible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2009, 06:21 PM

That's what I thought.
The reason I asked is that there is a controversy about some photos printed in the local newspaper of a politician. She claims that the photos are not of her but the paper's editor claims that they deconstructed the layers of the photo in photoshop and could not see any alterations in the photo. I didn't think it was possible to deconstruct a photo into layers and if the alterations were good enough it would be almost impossible to tell if they were altered. Yes it is possible to examine the photo in photoshop and find any little signs of altering but I was pretty sure you could not seperate the layers. It had me questioning my knowledge of photoshop.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2009, 07:25 PM

i remember reading this article many moons ago about software to spot fake pixels and even seeing some demonstration shots but not heard anything about it since. Maybe they couldn't keep up with the developement pace of photoshop.
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/farid/pr...4/yahoo04.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2009, 08:54 PM

We quite often, for ad layouts, save the original psd file and a flattened tif for use in the ad. That way we can make changes as there always are some. We don't do that on general editorial photos, but there is always the photographer's master originals to fall back on. I wouldn't call that "deconstructing" though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2009, 12:19 AM

The editor of the newspaper stated that they had used photoshop to "deconstruct" the photo so that they could examine all of the layers to see if it was a fake or not before they published it. But the original photos (if genuine) would have been taken more than 20 years ago so in that case they would have been conventionall film therefore would not have any layers to "deconstruct". So It's going to be interesting to see if any more comes of these photos.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 AM

it was proven that the photos were fake and the newspaper issued an apology.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help