Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

jpeg save with a reddish tone

Old 04-20-2009, 07:49 PM

Re: jpeg save with a reddish tone

tchu,
Can you clarify one other thing - when you say it's red, are you referring to the actual written/output file or the preview only.

If the preview only, then also check your preview options within Save For Web. The defaults are (a) "Browser Dither" = off/unchecked, (b) "Uncompensated Color" = on/checked. A screen shot is below.

If you are talking about the actual written/output file, then it may be a file corruption or problem with the Adobe conversion engine. You may have to do a little experimenting and see if and when it happens within other conversions within Photoshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Save for web screenshot.jpg (79.4 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2009, 07:32 AM

tchu, check your "conversion options"(color settings => more oprions) - if "intent" is not set to "relative colormetric" do so and try again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2009, 12:24 PM

TommyO:

The red tone/saturation does not appear when I am working on the file as a PSD but as soon as I save it for web in the preview box I can see it take on the red tone/saturation and it also appears in the final saved jpeg. I have tried multiple images and all resulted in the same thing.

Joel23:

Relative colormetric was already set.

Thank you both for the suggestions. Hopefully I can resolve this soon. I am truly stumped.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2009, 12:34 PM

I should also mention if I go and try to reduce the red tones in the hue/sat it will not do anything in the preview and final save file.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2009, 09:08 PM

tchu,
Can you provide us your color setting preferences, i.e Edit>Color Settings (see attached).

Knowing the color space you work in could help; also, ensuring the color conversion engine has not mistakenly changed.

It actually sounds like you are working on a file with a very large color space, in which certain colors are getting rendered as reddish during the conversion to sRGB (the default for "save for web").
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen capture.jpg (52.2 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2009, 12:54 AM

I had problems similar to this also - mine were fixed when I changed the settings in 'save for web' to 'use document color profile'
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_ele View Post
I had problems similar to this also - mine were fixed when I changed the settings in 'save for web' to 'use document color profile'
This would confirm the idea that the image is using a large color space, and the conversion is rendering certain colors to a reddish tint.

The problem with changing the profile in the "save for web" image is that while it may look good on your computer within PS, it will look bad on the web within a browser (or at least in non-MAC browsers). All Windows based browsers are non-color managed, and essentially view images under the sRGB color space. Newer MAC browsers are color managed.

The ideal fix would be to convert the image within PS. You can actually work on the image and see the actual final rendering in the proper color space by turning on "proof colors" (Ctrl-Y). No need to go through save for web to see what it may look like. Use the "View>Proof Setup" to set the color space you want to proof the image in. You can quickly toggle back and forth using Ctrl-Y.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2009, 12:09 PM

As far as I know the only Browser that is color managed properly is the Mac Safari Browser. Just my 2 cents worth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 AM

Gunner, Firefox 3 is also colour-managed (although not by default), and is in fact better than Safari.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 09:16 AM

How does one color manage it then. In the prefs I suppose, but wherein is it please?

It was my understanding that at the time I originally read it that Safari was the only one that was color managed, but I have to admit that was some months back.

thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help