Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

jpeg save with a reddish tone

Old 04-27-2009, 01:59 PM

Re: jpeg save with a reddish tone

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-9311-9478

No, not as easy as prefs - you have to manipulate about:config. But it's pretty easy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 03:13 PM

Hi;
Just to keep it simple, something had changed on that computer at a fixed point in time. That's when things went goofy. Everything was OK until then. Now you got red and it prints that way. Some preference got changed or altered. I tried to duplicate that effect and didn't. Try the Adobe presets. What you got there is odd. Try making a grayscale with 20 steps and see if that effect is even or at a particular part of the scale. Could be some dopey thing in the color settings or a preset got changed in the custom set-up. It wouldn't be the first time. Does anyone else use your computer? Look for something dopey. The other guys covered all the other ground.
Arnie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies and sorry I wasn't able to get back sooner to reply. I've been away. I am going get my monitor replaced as it looks like it could be the monitor. I will let you guys know if that's the fix. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2009, 03:08 AM

Doesn't sound like the monitor to me, but more like a profiles/color management issue... but how about you upload the file that turns red when you save for web? (both the original and the red version)
Then we can try to replicate it (it's SO much easier when we can see what's going on).

Also:
- What is your color settings? Try setting your working RGB to sRGB (and otherwise keep your settings like TommyO - but feel free to choose your usual CMYK/gray profiles)
- If you now create a new document and fill it with a gradient and something, will it still show red in the save-for-web?

If your image already has a set profile, changing the color options in photoshop will not affect it. Try going to edit->convert to profile and choose sRGB. Does this produce a red result? If not, try save for web and see if it still happens there.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 2.png (47.5 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 PM

Newbie Re: jpeg save with a reddish tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo77 View Post
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-9311-9478

No, not as easy as prefs - you have to manipulate about:config. But it's pretty easy.
Well, that was easy thank you.
Gunner Holmes
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchu View Post
Hi,

I've been having problem with photoshop cs3 where i would go to 'save as' for a jpeg image the image would be on the reddish side during the preview window and the final output. This start all of a sudden. My color space is sRGB. Can anyone help? Thank you.
The screen shot will show how I have my Photoshop CS4 set, as defined in a URL that I cannot remember.

Then I go to the menu bar in Photoshop and go to the VIEW menu and pull down to "Proof Set-up", which I have on the same setting, Adobe RGB 1998.
Now when I go to print, I set things up this way, see screen shot for my epson 2200 printer.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 5.png (45.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png Picture 4.png (176.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png Picture 3.png (86.7 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:28 PM

I sometimes have a similar problem but it's not always to do with save as etc it also happens when i make a duplicate of the image (Image>Duplicate) - the duplicate has completely different tones to that of the original as soon as it is created even though the color spaces etc are the same. If I restart PS the problem goes away. I guess it's just some type of glitch??
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2009, 01:47 PM

Thumbs up Re: jpeg save with a reddish tone

gholmes1936:
Your settings look fine, but i would turn on dithering and black point compensation. Or do you have a reason why that's turned off?
Also, your printing setup looks good, but I see you have set AdobeRGB as your printer profile - you don't have any specific for your printer?

Anyway, here's screenshots of my color setup (color management turned off in printer). I usually stick to sRGB as my working space at home (usually screen stuff) and AdobeRGB at work (usually print stuff).
Attached Images
File Type: png color-settings.png (36.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg sfw.jpg (95.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png print-settings.png (47.8 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
gholmes1936:
Your settings look fine, but i would turn on dithering and black point compensation. Or do you have a reason why that's turned off?
Also, your printing setup looks good, but I see you have set AdobeRGB as your printer profile - you don't have any specific for your printer?

Anyway, here's screenshots of my color setup (color management turned off in printer). I usually stick to sRGB as my working space at home (usually screen stuff) and AdobeRGB at work (usually print stuff).
I used the settings that the article said were the correct ones to use. Then tried it out on an image that I couldn't get to print anywhere near what my color corrected monitor was showing me. The screen shot was the one for the printing type of work space. When I do something for the web I use the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 space. I convert the image before going to the for the web compression app.

If one has both Photoshop or whatever application doing color correction and then g=has the printer set to do color correction one would probably be fighting themselves, so to speak.

Now please explain to me why have dithering and black point compensation turned on for printing something out? I'd be very interested to know that, for self education. I always learn something here, now if I can somehow manage to remember any of it, it'll be a red letter day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2009, 04:39 PM

Dithering is to reduce banding when converting between bitdepths, and black point compensation is to keep black black when converting between color spaces. I always keep them on (default) so I haven't really experimented with them.

You printing setup looked perfect, except that you just used Adobe RGB as your printer profile and not a profile for the actual printer (Adobe RGB as your document profile is good as it encompasses some printable colors that sRGB do not, but you will still have to choose the right profile for your printer when printing).
Personally I haven't calibrated my printer myself, so I use the printing profiles that Canon shipped with the drivers. I use "Canon MP610 series GL2" - that's for my printer, when printing on Canon Glossy Photo Paper with quality setting "2".
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help