RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Actions--Do, or Do Not add SAVE AS step at end?

Old 05-24-2009, 11:23 AM

Actions--Do, or Do Not add SAVE AS step at end?

On most of the actions I recorded myself I put Save As and Close steps at the end.

None of the actions I have purchased have these steps.

Can someone simplify the world of complexity around the pros/cons as it relates to "File/Automate/Batch" (apparently (???) if there IS a Save As/Close in the action and you check the Override box then all is well and it saves in the folder specified on the Batch dialog--if there are not Save As/Close steps in the action then do not check the box and all is well, too)

I googled and read that if you "do not specify the folder" (or something like that) then when you play the action you will avoid having the new file saved to some old folder that was specified when the action was created.

If you've hung with me to this point you're probably getting a headache by now. I have one too!

Is there any benefit for me to add Save As/Close steps to my actions that do not have them? If I do, how do I avoid them saving to the wrong/old folder? In alternate fashion, why did I put Save As/Close steps on most of my actions in the first place? Surely I don't need to have duplicates of EVERY action, one with Save As/Close and another without?

Summary question--I'm sure this has been asked/answered before but I'm at wits end after 2 hours of searching. Can anyone refer me to a place where someone already made sense of all this?

many thx folks,
Ed T
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 06:08 PM

Re: Actions--Do, or Do Not add SAVE AS step at end

First of all, some excellent questions. Thanks for asking.
-----
Quote:
On most of the actions I recorded myself I put Save As and Close steps at the end. Is there any benefit for me to add Save As/Close steps to my actions that do not have them?
Only in cases where it benefits you, that is, meets some sort of workflow need.

At the end of an action if you always save the file to the same folder (I do this for files I'm sizing for e-mail), including Save as... (for example to \e-mail folder) as (.jpg) and then close makes perfect sense.

If you're applying an action as an interim step in a long process, then saving might make sense, but why close if you're going to continue work on the image?

So, "It just depends."

-----
Quote:
None of the actions I have purchased have these steps.

When one records File > Save as, the file name (if changed) and folder (original or changed) are recorded in the action step. Optionally file format info is recorded if changed during the recording process. i.e., .jpg in, .psd out.

There's no way for an action author (other than you) to know what your specific folder or file format needs are, hence the common absence of Save as... in third party actions, free or otherwise. This practice allows you to use the action “as is” or add a Save as… step as required to meet your needs.
-----
Quote:
Can someone simplify the world of complexity around the pros/cons as it relates to "File/Automate/Batch" (apparently (???) if there IS a Save As/Close in the action and you check the Override box then all is well and it saves in the folder specified on the Batch dialog
Save as… required in action if (in batch processing) you want the options of saving processed files in a folder other than the one specified in the Save as… step (Override box must be checked)
-----
Quote:
I googled and read that if you "do not specify the folder" (or something like that) then when you play the action you will avoid having the new file saved to some old folder that was specified when the action was created.
True.

-----
Quote:
If you've hung with me to this point you're probably getting a headache by now. I have one too!
No headache, but I did fetch a cold one out of the refer just now.
Quote:
If I do, how do I avoid saving to the wrong/old folder?
What I do is review an action’s steps before playing it or as my wife tells me, “Pay attention to what you’re doing!”

-----
Quote:
In alternate fashion, why did I put Save As/Close steps on most of my actions in the first place?
Most likely because when you first got started with recording actions you used an existing action as a model that included these steps. Without knowing otherwise you assumeed that was “the right way.”

-----
Quote:
Surely I don't need to have duplicates of EVERY action, one with Save As/Close and another without?
Highly unlikely. FWIW I find that actions I write are for batch OR processing one image at a time, very rarely for both. I’ll bet that’s the case for you.

-----
Quote:
Can anyone refer me to a place where someone already made sense of all this?
Go to www.atncentral.com & download “The Mother of All Actions Tutorials.” Though a little dated (it's based on PS 7.0) the underlying content is still 95% relevant. Although it does not directly answer your questions, it is a good reference on action topics.

I hope this helps. If you have any oher action questions, don't hesitate to ask. Actions are a hobby of mine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 11:03 AM

Danny,
I hit the jackpot with your thorough answers--thanks a ton! Not only clears some things up, but reminds me I have to "always be paying attn to detail!"
Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Turlington View Post
Danny,
I hit the jackpot with your thorough answers--thanks a ton! Not only clears some things up, but reminds me I have to "always be paying attn to detail!"
Ed
My pleasure... Glad to help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 01:42 PM

Personally I usually don't add save/close steps to my actions (but sometimes it's useful).

If I batch a large number of images, I usually launch this from Bridge through Tools->Photoshop->Image Processor (or Photoshop->Scripts->Image Processor) . I find the interface much nicer than the more confusing batch interface - and it allows me to just check what filetype(s) i want and what action to run (and it will output everything to a nice folder).

Edit:
One thing I like about not using save as steps and simply use image processor is that it's impossible to accidentally have it overwrite my originals and such. Less room for error when in a hurry.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help