Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Advertise Here

Unable to save file as jpeg? Totally baffled

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 05:04 PM

Unable to save file as jpeg? Totally baffled

Hi everyone.

I am hoping that someone can offer some suggestions. I have finished a restoration and, as always, I have created a lower res, watermarked copy to email to my client for approval. For some reason however, Photoshop (CS2) will not allow me to save the file as a jpeg. The error message I receive is "cannot complete your request because of a program error." I tried saving the same file as a jpeg on my laptop which is also running CS2 and received the same error message. I have been working on other images today without any issues so can only guess that there is some corruption in the file itself?

I am able to save as a TIFF file without any problems. I also just tried saving as a jpeg Using PSE7 and it worked fine.

I am totally baffled. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Carol
Old 01-18-2010, 05:32 PM

Re: Unable to save file as jpeg? Totally baffled

Take a look at the bits/channel under Image-> Mode to see if it is 8 bits or 16 bits. Might not have option to save as jpeg if 16 bits. I just googled for an answer and found this as an answer for similar problems, although it wouldn't explain why you were able to save it in PSE7. There are some folks here with great knowledge, so if this isn't the answer, hopefully someone will have one for you.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 01-18-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: left off the word "Mode" (sheesh!)
Old 01-18-2010, 06:22 PM

As CJ points out check to make sure the image is 8 bit. Also check to be sure that the image is not in LAB or other color space that is not supported in the jpg standard. Finally instead of using File>save try File> Save As and create a new unique file name.
Regards, Murray
Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your replies. The file is an 8 bit, RGB file. 'Save' and 'save as' options have been tried previously. I have also saved as a PSD in an aternate name and then tried saving as jpeg but it still doesn't work. As mentioned, I even tried on my laoptop and it still didn't work. Very frustrating.

Oh well, for now I have the file I need for my client (thanks to PSE7) however this obviously isn't a practical option. My client has requested two alternate crops so off to see if I can crop and then save as a jpeg or if I need to send to PSE7 again.

Thanks. If I figure it out, I'll let you know.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Patron

Carol,
It's always hard to pinpoint. But, I suspect the problem is in the file, not Photoshop, since it happens on two independent computers. By chance did the file size/dimensions get inadvertently changed? The limits for jpg files are 30K pixels per side.

The other possibility is that some layers got duplicated, increasing the file size beyond the 2GB limit for jpg's.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:37 PM

Yes, I have to agree Tommy. it must be a problem with the file itself as I had the problem on both computers. The file is only 52mb (small compared to many I work on). I wasn't even able to save a low res version which would only have been about 300k when saved.

Two things are puzzling me; firstly, if it is a problem with Photoshop, why is it only happening with this file. Secondly; If it is a problem with the file, why am I able to save as a jpeg using Elements?????? Hmmmm, it's a Mystery. The client now has her restored image, cropped and saved as jpeg in five different file sizes. (had to do all this on PSE7)
Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM

Carol, please try the following and advise if it works:
- Open a copy of the file (just in case there is a problem you still have the orig) and go to the file menu
- File -> File Info.
- Select the "Advanced" tab in the column.
- Select the "http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/" entry group.
- click Delete!
Regards, Murray
Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 PM

mistermonday, You are a legend! That worked. Thank You. I'll need to make a note of this in case it happens again. Would this be something I have altered in the file during editing?

Carol
Old 01-18-2010, 08:02 PM

Hi Carol, what has happened is that some program like Light Room or Bridge, or Adobe Camera Raw, or the S/W that transfers images from the Camera to the computer (like Nikon Transfer etc) has written into the Metadata portion of the file some information that CS2 does not understand. Consequently it does not know how to process the save and reports the error. The reason that PSE7 does not have the problem is that it is about 5 years younger than CS2. Your options are:

- Make sure you have the latest CS2 update / patch from Adobe.
- Use the Bridge in CS2 to transfer the file from the Camera or its memory card
- If the file is being processed by someone else before you recv it, you could get them to modify their flow
- Make an upgrade to CS5 because there are a ton of neat tools you will have access to. Actually CS5 will not be released until this coming April but if you are considering an upgrade to CS4, I would wait till April because its very close and has even more goodies.
Regards, Murray
Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 PM

Carol, I forgot another easy solution. You can strip all of the metadata away simply by pressing Ctrl-A to select the entire image, then go to Edit > Copy Merged. Go to File > New. The dimensions should be filled in automatically, so just click OK. Press Ctrl-V to paste your copied image onto the new image. Flatten the image, then save it as a JPEG.
However you will lose all the metadata including Camera info, origin date, etc, etc.

Also FYI, the error can occur in CS2 if a TIFF has certain meta data attached that is specific to CS3 or CS4 (particularly Camera Raw). I believe modifications to PS were made in CS3 and later to avoid the problem going forward.

Regards, Murray
Old 01-18-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Carol, I forgot another easy solution. You can strip all of the metadata away simply by pressing Ctrl-A to select the entire image, then go to Edit > Copy Merged. Go to File > New. The dimensions should be filled in automatically, so just click OK. Press Ctrl-V to paste your copied image onto the new image. Flatten the image, then save it as a JPEG.
Thanks Murray. This little piece of info will come in very handy. The file I was working on was supplied by another photographer who had done some processing in Lightroom.

I do plan to update but as you suggested, am holding off until the release of CS5.

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help