Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

photo looses quality pls help

Old 01-21-2010, 04:27 AM

Unhappy photo looses quality pls help

Hello All,

I cannot understand why whenever I save a PSD image I've worked on as JPEG it looses quality. Is there a way I can prevent that? The image save well in PSD but as soon as I save the final work for JPEG the quality goes.

Any reply would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 AM

Re: photo looses quality pls help

Well, jpeg is a lossy format and consequently any jpeg file is of lesser quality than the original even with the highest quality settings.

If you want to retain 100% quality while still significantly reducing filesize then png is the way to go as it is lossless.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 07:12 AM

Unhappy Re: photo looses quality pls help

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretagents View Post
Well, jpeg is a lossy format and consequently any jpeg file is of lesser quality than the original even with the highest quality settings.

If you want to retain 100% quality while still significantly reducing filesize then png is the way to go as it is lossless.
Thank you for your reply much appreciated, the photo is size 1027 W 717 H resolution 96 I've noticed that happens even with small jpeg photo. I usually convert my photo to psd before I do any work and then convert back to jpeg that's when I get the loss of quality. I am colourizing a black and white photo sometimes when converting back to jpeg the photo don't loose quality at all I just don't know why there must be something going on and I do not know what it is.

Many thanks

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 09:06 AM

You'll always lose quality when saving as jpeg but depending on the amount of details of the picture, quality settings, etc, this loss will be perceptually visible or not.

If you are on windows you may want to have a look at Riot which is a very nice freeware application that may greatly help you there.

http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Patron

Sergio, sometimes if you have complex layers, when you save as a single layer, sometimes the flat file will look very different because PS has a fixed process of flattening. So in these cases you should flatten the file yourself - and do not just use the file>flatten command. You need manually merge down certain layers first. For example if you have adjustment layers stacked on top of each other, the sequence inwhich you flatten will produce different results.
Regards Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Sergio, sometimes if you have complex layers, when you save as a single layer, sometimes the flat file will look very different because PS has a fixed process of flattening. So in these cases you should flatten the file yourself - and do not just use the file>flatten command. You need manually merge down certain layers first. For example if you have adjustment layers stacked on top of each other, the sequence inwhich you flatten will produce different results.
Regards Murray
Thank you Murray for your reply much appreciated, would you mind telling me how I can flatten the image myself I am afraid I am useless when it comes to phtoshop many things I haven't learn yet.

Many thanks

Regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM

hi,
my reply is very similar.

first my question is if you were to save in another format like png or tif do you still get poor results... this info is just to eliminate other possiblities why!

now with jpg format.. it not not the preferred format... it a lossy format and that mean pixals are thrown out when a file is encoded to that format.. and it accumalitive ie: everytime you resave a jpg it get alittle worse...

now one of the important factors that determine how much degragation of the image is the quality (or the compression amount) setting....

if you save as a low quality (2 or3 ), or a high compression like 90-95% you can expect shifts in shades of colors, problems with fine lines and such.... plus some artifacts ....

so if you need to use jpg format then save as high quality setting (8-10) or a compression of around 60-70% ....

note: have fun and experiment with the numbers.. bring up a nice picture... then go to "save for the web" .... and set for jpg...while looking at the preview,,,,,,adjust the quality bar... you will actually see the changes !! ... more compression(lower quality) you'll the image get poor and go the other way the image improves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio2263 View Post
Hello All,

I cannot understand why whenever I save a PSD image I've worked on as JPEG it looses quality. Is there a way I can prevent that? The image save well in PSD but as soon as I save the final work for JPEG the quality goes.

Any reply would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Patron

Can you attach a screenshot of your Layers Palette so I can look at it?
If not, then the rule of thumb would be to flatten from the layer above the background upward. So for example if you have a BG layer on top of which you have a Curve Adj Layer, on top or which you have a Hue/Sat adj layer, on top of which is a Selective Color adj layer, then you would select the Curve layer first and type Ctrl+E (or merge down), then merge the Hue/Sat, then the Selective Color adj. It gets a bit more complicated if you have Layer Groups or clipped layers but it sounds like you are not using complicated layer stacks.
BTW, the appearance does not always change when PS performs the flattening by itself - it just depends on the layer types and blend modes.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Patron

I may have misunderstood Sergio's original issue but while jpg is lossy, it does not result in the image looking "very" different as in major color or tone shifts - unless you save it on a quality setting which is very low and even then it visually looks more pixelated than very different in color.
Sergio, there is one other thing you may be having a problem with - and that is color management. Are you using it?
If you have the color profile mismatch warnings disabled (Edit>Color Settings), and you happen to be working in one color space (lik AdobeRGB), then saving the jpg in another color space (like sRGB) and then opening the saved jpg without addressing the profile mismatch in PS, the image will look noticeably different - either more saturated or less saturated, flat, less contrasty. Colors may be brighter or darker and slightly shifted in Hue.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 02:42 AM

Thumbs up Re: photo looses quality pls help

Thanks everybody for your replies it is much appreciated. Jerryb I save all my photos as psd file before I do any work on them it's when I saved the final work as jpeg that's where the problem arises that only happen with some photos but not others.

Murray I am afraid I am not Photoshop savvy I only know how to use the clone, patch, healing brush and paint brush and then levels, curves etc I can do light restore but my speciality is colouring and I’ve only concentrate on that and haven't gone beyond anything else looks like I have to learn a lot more with Photoshop. The last photo I've colourized came out ok without any loss when convert back to jpeg please see link below.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/...c960eda1_o.jpg

And yet the one I have colourized went flat and loss quality I cannot show it on here until I ask for permissions to do so. I have the colour profile mismatch warnings enable perhaps this is where I am making mistakes when the pop up comes up I click to use like sRGB and not to use the original colour profile (AdobeRGB) saying that I opened the original photo there was no warning about colour space and that photo still goes flat. I shall investigate further to solve this problem.

Many thanks again everyone.

Regards

Helen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help