RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Speeding up saving

Old 03-22-2010, 11:39 AM

Newbie Re: Speeding up saving

It sounds like need a couple of hours of Hard Drive lessons from you Adrianr! Any chance? <<<smile>>>
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2010, 11:51 AM

Re: Speeding up saving

hi ,
Your not being rude.. a good discussion brings out good information and also maybe correcting misconceptions or wrong info.... myself.. i always learn.. either it verifies or maybe it corrects misinformation or it brings me up to date on info...

to answer your question... have i used them?
1. yes i have worked with them... but was not impressed with them
2. I don't use them in my system because i want high performance might add cost considerations...

background-- I started looking at ssd 20 years ago!! YEP...! they actually been around for about 25 or 30 years!!!! I was thinking of putting one in instead of a spindle , in the late 80's, untill i started looking at the numbers,,, ie: read and write speeds and cost!!
and those numbers, even though there been significant improvement, relatively speaking hasn't changed, at least for the different kinds ssd's...

now i don't know about light years ahead of spindles... in some respect it will depend on which flash ssd you get... first regardless which type you get there expensive 2-8 times more expensive for a similar size spindle...

you have your mlc type.. and and probably the most prevelent , it a lot cheaper than your slc's .. and it a lot slower writes compared to a good spindle.....

now the slc's they do have real good write times faster than a lot of spindles ... but they cost a lot more than your mlc's let alone your spindles..

so i guess.... it would come down is it worth it putting in a slc ssd !! how much performance increase would you actually get vs the cost....

now i am no expert on this area... just what i read... a traditional raid setup don't seems to work well with ssd's however.. saw several articles where they used a ceratin kind or raid setup where they got outstanding performance with some of there programs... compared to the spindles.

that about it from me.. smiling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianr View Post
I currently have a 3.2ghz Quad, 16Gb of ram, OS is on a 320GB x 2 RAID0 setup (single platter drives) with a seperate 320GB drive for scratch (also single platter). Files are currently saved to the RAID0 during mid-document saves and shifted to external storage when completed.

JerryB - With all due respect (I genuinely don't mean to be rude) have you used an SSD before? Whilst the read/write throughput on some models isn't the most astounding the random read/write's (the thing that really alleviates the hardrive bottleneck for general system performance) is rediculously far ahead of standard spindle drives. I know where the advantages in one lie for an OS drive (which is what will be going in next), I was just curious if anyone had used one as a temporary save (like another scratch) for mid-document saves before eventually shifting it over to a NAS or similar external storage.

It sounds like getting a 500GB single platter drive for this would be the best option if all that's required is a fast write speed for large files. I'm not looking into anything SATA3 as I'm not changing my motherboard. I refuse to move to a system with less RAM and getting more than 16GB of DDR3 in any system is a cost I cannot justify at present.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryb View Post
hi ,
Your not being rude.. a good discussion brings out good information and also maybe correcting misconceptions or wrong info.... myself.. i always learn.. either it verifies or maybe it corrects misinformation or it brings me up to date on info...

to answer your question... have i used them?
1. yes i have worked with them... but was not impressed with them
2. I don't use them in my system because i want high performance might add cost considerations...

background-- I started looking at ssd 20 years ago!! YEP...! they actually been around for about 25 or 30 years!!!! I was thinking of putting one in instead of a spindle , in the late 80's, untill i started looking at the numbers,,, ie: read and write speeds and cost!!
and those numbers, even though there been significant improvement, relatively speaking hasn't changed, at least for the different kinds ssd's...

now i don't know about light years ahead of spindles... in some respect it will depend on which flash ssd you get... first regardless which type you get there expensive 2-8 times more expensive for a similar size spindle...

you have your mlc type.. and and probably the most prevelent , it a lot cheaper than your slc's .. and it a lot slower writes compared to a good spindle.....

now the slc's they do have real good write times faster than a lot of spindles ... but they cost a lot more than your mlc's let alone your spindles..

so i guess.... it would come down is it worth it putting in a slc ssd !! how much performance increase would you actually get vs the cost....

now i am no expert on this area... just what i read... a traditional raid setup don't seems to work well with ssd's however.. saw several articles where they used a ceratin kind or raid setup where they got outstanding performance with some of there programs... compared to the spindles.

that about it from me.. smiling...
This forum really is a refreshing mature welcome from some of the others I frequent. After reading back my previous post I was half expecting to have my head semi-bitten off!

Cost issue aside (no-way I could justify an SSD purely by looking at the £/GB figures) I won't go into all the reasons I think SSD's are worth it (Unless you really want me too!) as this is just a thread for ascertaining the fastest possible set-up for mid-work saves of large PSD files. Just needing a drive with a very high write throughput does sound like it makes sense, but then with computers what seems like the obvious answer so often isn't.

If there is nothing I can alter within Photoshop to improve save times then I think i'll start with a simple 500GB single platter drive and work my way around from there. As I'l be installing an SSD for my operating system anyway I can see what saving files directly to that is like in contrast too.

Cheers for your input
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2010, 04:56 PM

Use your SSD for a scratch disc. They're not reliable enough for saving stuff.

It takes forever to save files, the sort of average file I work on is about 4-6 Gig, so saving is always a problem. There is no solution. I have a dual quad core 3 Ghz Mac, with 14 Gigs of RAM, 2 Gfx cards, etc. It still takes forever.

One way to speed up PS I recently discovered is to take 4 Harddrives (Sata) and make them into 1 striped Raid. This speeds up PS work about 15-30%. Just by killing the time it takes to write your pagefile. I tried it as well with SSD's, but sadly I blew them out in about 4 days :P So I have some reservations about SSD's.

Also 15K RPM drives (SAS) are blindingly fast. They're also noisy as hell and give off enough heat to fry eggs on the side of your Mac/PC.

The best solution: just accept the time it takes to write your files. ENd of the day it's more important to have the files than it is to have your computer crash REALLY fast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2010, 05:26 PM

hi adrianr,

not sure why people have to get rude,,, maybe it a ego thing or they just don't realize how they come across.... i have seen that lots of times... when there having difficulty winning a discussion.... smiling...

as far thruput and write speeds... you probably know this already...
don't go by peak speeds look for substain speeds!!! peak speeds can easily mislead on what fast...

asf ar as ps... i can't think of anything you can really do with ps itself...
maybe moving the swap file but that about it...

there is something called priority processing level but i don't think that would effect transfering files..... but it something you can look into....
what it is you can set the priority processing levle of a program

well any that about it
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
Use your SSD for a scratch disc. They're not reliable enough for saving stuff.

It takes forever to save files, the sort of average file I work on is about 4-6 Gig, so saving is always a problem. There is no solution. I have a dual quad core 3 Ghz Mac, with 14 Gigs of RAM, 2 Gfx cards, etc. It still takes forever.

One way to speed up PS I recently discovered is to take 4 Harddrives (Sata) and make them into 1 striped Raid. This speeds up PS work about 15-30%. Just by killing the time it takes to write your pagefile. I tried it as well with SSD's, but sadly I blew them out in about 4 days :P So I have some reservations about SSD's.

Also 15K RPM drives (SAS) are blindingly fast. They're also noisy as hell and give off enough heat to fry eggs on the side of your Mac/PC.

The best solution: just accept the time it takes to write your files. ENd of the day it's more important to have the files than it is to have your computer crash REALLY fast.
Wow, very interesting to hear about your experience with SSD's! If anything with no moving parts all my friends have found them to be more reliable, especially in laptops. I've already had numerous spindle hardrives fail on me so I don't really rate their reliability either. Certainly sounds like a bad batch if you had 4 fail in 4 days! :o

15K SAS drives are off the cards due to a multitude of reasons, maybe if I started working on files as large as yours I would look into it (If you don't mind me asking what sort of files are they? And how does Photoshop handle in general when you're editing files that big?)

I seem to remember a review by (I believe) Lloyd Chambers, benchmarking the speed of performing tasks in Photoshop with a RAID0 scratchdisk and differing number of drives. I think he got to about 6 before no more improvment (or very little) was seen. I'l try and dig it up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2010, 11:26 AM

Help! What does SSD and SAS mean. I told you I needed lessons!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2010, 12:35 PM

Talking Re: Speeding up saving

I believe you can find the meaning of SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_attached_SCSI

and I believe that SSD means Solid State Drive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Gary Silverstein
http://www.weshoot.com
http://www.feelfreefoto.com
http://www.bilbord.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianr View Post
If you don't mind me asking what sort of files are they? And how does Photoshop handle in general when you're editing files that big?
I make pretty pictures for advertising :P The reason the files get so large is that art directors like to fiddle and that everything has to be comped together.

Most of the stuff I do you have to build every single person in the ad out of 4-9 parts, which then later will be changed/reshot, so you have to keep every single thing layered and ready to roll. Also the image must be good enough quality for a 4x4 meter retail situation. Outdoor is actually easier than that, since they just print at a lower DPI.

I've only ever had problems with one file, a background for a champions league campaign. It was big, but then had to be extended, and then extended again. The file ended up being 12.7 Gigs. That... was unworkable. ANything else is usually ok. Photoshop isn't too zippy after a while, but it works fine for anything under 10 Gigs. After that it just gets stupid. Waiting for a brush stroke, that sort of thing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help