RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Speeding up saving

Old 03-20-2010, 05:25 PM

Speeding up saving

As Photoshop seems intent on stopping everything I do whilst it saves something, and I'm always working with large 800mb+ 16bit files, is there anything I can do short of throwing in an SSD or two to speed up the process?

I'm thinking of maybe setting up some sort of temporary fast workspace where I drag in the files I have to work on and can reside there whilst I'm editing. Then when I'm done shift them over to proper storage in one big lump.

However before I go and drop a few hundred on that lot, is there anything else I can do in PS?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2010, 06:28 PM

Re: Speeding up saving

To the best of my understanding SSD does not work that great with PS because of the difference in read/write times. Another option is to use SAS drive, although can say that from personal experience
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/what_is...isk_drive.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Patron

A high speed drive, physically separate from the drive which contains the operating system, and which is defragmented and has a large percentage of it capacity free, will make a big difference. SSD's are still relatively slow for this type of storage.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2010, 09:21 PM

Interesting. Has anyone seen how RAID0 helps? At this rate I'm going to have more hardrives than the local PC world
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2010, 09:47 PM

hi,
Well I don't know what you presently have for pc stats.... that always give clues to what you can do to improve your system performance...

but first.. if your looking for speed forget about SSD's !! there slow.. read times are best so so.. and write times are terrible.....

a seperate internal drive.. will give you lot more speed and bang for your bucks... now i would go with a good fast sata 3 at least 7200 rpm if not 10,000 rpm ....

if your looking at a external drive.. well the very least a Esata drive... or if there out yet the external usb3 hard drives.... but your internal are still still faster..
note: usb 2 are just way toooo slooooow...

other thing you can do...
1. definitely disable all those startup... be surprised at how much they slow things down!!! plus you regain some precious ram...!
2. if you have a seperate hard drive... you may want to look at moving your swap file over to it....!!

well those are my thoughts.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianr View Post
As Photoshop seems intent on stopping everything I do whilst it saves something, and I'm always working with large 800mb+ 16bit files, is there anything I can do short of throwing in an SSD or two to speed up the process?

I'm thinking of maybe setting up some sort of temporary fast workspace where I drag in the files I have to work on and can reside there whilst I'm editing. Then when I'm done shift them over to proper storage in one big lump.

However before I go and drop a few hundred on that lot, is there anything else I can do in PS?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2010, 09:54 PM

hi,
i just saw this post....

i don't think raid0 will help you...... at least not as far as performance....
also if you use software, instead of hardware, to run the raid setup... you'll lose cpu power..... and that one thing you don't want.... ps you want all the ower you can get... i think overall it might get to expensive......

did some searching and you might find this article about raid....
http://compreviews.about.com/od/stor...aRAIDPage1.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianr View Post
Interesting. Has anyone seen how RAID0 helps? At this rate I'm going to have more hardrives than the local PC world
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Hi AdrianR -

You didn't mention what else you have: processor, ram, etc.

I just changed to a new HP PC with i7-950 chip, and 12-gigs of memory, and two SATA internal 1-GB hard drives (non-raid configured) and it is light-years faster compared to the 7-year-old Pentium 4, 3-gig memory system I used before, even though they almost almost the same speed in GHZ (3.06GHZ vs. 3.07GHZ). It is faster bringing up files, making changes, and saving those files. Rather than try to have all these fast drives, invest in a fast computer and a lot of memory. It works wonders.

Gary Silverstein
http://www.weshoot.com
http://www.bilbord.com
http://feelfreefoto.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2010, 03:05 PM

hi,
you have a nice system... it something similar i am going get here soon i hope... hope it doesn't break the bank.. smiling.... you got at least sata2 and probably sata 3 .. i assume you got good graphics card with at least 1 gig of ram .... anyway

and your right you were far better off investing in a new system than trying to tweak and pour money in that old p4 which probably wouldn't have gotten you any significant performance for the money spent..

even the intell dual cores were 40% than the p4....!!! and the i7 quads are little bit faster and optimized for grapahics and video...

the only only other thing i can think of to speed up your system really...
1. the visual special effects.. disable them unless you want the visual candy..
and aero also.... that will speed things up how much not sure...

2. you might look at services.. but generally there a only coupld of thngs there that maybe running that you can't use.... so be carefull there....
note: i already mentioned about startup that seperate from services..

you might want to bring up your system rating ... and see what it tells you..
sometimes they'll point to area that you can tweak... if your not familiar with the rating score... check out this site
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...perience-Index

you might look into enabling disk write cach if your not enable.... sometimes they improve the performance of your hard drives.... if not familair here a little artical on it....
http://www.windowsreference.com/wind...s-server-2008/

Quote:
Originally Posted by weshoot View Post
Hi AdrianR -

You didn't mention what else you have: processor, ram, etc.

I just changed to a new HP PC with i7-950 chip, and 12-gigs of memory, and two SATA internal 1-GB hard drives (non-raid configured) and it is light-years faster compared to the 7-year-old Pentium 4, 3-gig memory system I used before, even though they almost almost the same speed in GHZ (3.06GHZ vs. 3.07GHZ). It is faster bringing up files, making changes, and saving those files. Rather than try to have all these fast drives, invest in a fast computer and a lot of memory. It works wonders.

Gary Silverstein
http://www.weshoot.com
http://www.bilbord.com
http://feelfreefoto.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2010, 07:40 PM

I have an external 1 TB hard drive that I have made into 2 partitions. I use one of them for my PS scratch disk. Works like a charm for me. Oh and it is a Firewire drive. I am using a Mac OS10.6.2 system, on a 2.8 GHz with an Intel Core 2 Duo, iMac 2009

My internal H.D. is only a 500GB but it is half full only. Don't know fi this helps or not, but it is a FWIW.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 AM

I currently have a 3.2ghz Quad, 16Gb of ram, OS is on a 320GB x 2 RAID0 setup (single platter drives) with a seperate 320GB drive for scratch (also single platter). Files are currently saved to the RAID0 during mid-document saves and shifted to external storage when completed.

JerryB - With all due respect (I genuinely don't mean to be rude) have you used an SSD before? Whilst the read/write throughput on some models isn't the most astounding the random read/write's (the thing that really alleviates the hardrive bottleneck for general system performance) is rediculously far ahead of standard spindle drives. I know where the advantages in one lie for an OS drive (which is what will be going in next), I was just curious if anyone had used one as a temporary save (like another scratch) for mid-document saves before eventually shifting it over to a NAS or similar external storage.

It sounds like getting a 500GB single platter drive for this would be the best option if all that's required is a fast write speed for large files. I'm not looking into anything SATA3 as I'm not changing my motherboard. I refuse to move to a system with less RAM and getting more than 16GB of DDR3 in any system is a cost I cannot justify at present.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help