RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

How to recover a file in photoshop

Old 09-21-2010, 09:51 AM

How to recover a file in photoshop

Hello all! Sorry if it is the wrong place for this thread.
I had a psd file. I've edited it and mistakingly saved the edited version and then closed it. Is there any way to recover the previous version?
Any help is appreciated.
Anna.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Patron

Re: How to recover a file in photoshop

Hi Anna
I hope I am proved wrong, but if you have edited the original and saved then it is probable that you will not get back to the original unless............

1. If you are lucky and used layers to make your adjustments without touching the background layer and saved as photoshop file then you should be able to delete your layers to return to the original - I suspect though that you have probably edited the original without duplicating background

2. This one seems unlikely but... find your photoshop image file, right click and select Properties. In the dialogue box select Previous Versions. This one is a long shot as it depends if Windows (assume thats what you use!) has either created a restore point or any backup. If you do find a previous version follow the instructions to re install. I have never tried this myself so will be interested if it is of any help

Good luck
Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 11:02 AM

Hi Tony,
Thanks a lot for your help.
The problem is I cropped the original, resized it and then saved it.
Unfortunately I don't have "Previous Versions"
I've already started to fix my photo from the beginning
Thank you,
Anna.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Patron

What machine and OS are you using? If you have Time Machine (on a Mac) and are actually using it, a copy of the old file might well be there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 04:05 PM

I have windows
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 PM

Hey guys!!

This is for Tony above! Thank you so, so much for posting that about the 'previous versions' in properties!! That helped me so much and I just had to register here to tell you how much I appreciate it! <3

I had been working on a pic for pretty much every waking hour this past weekend and I finally finished it to where I finally feel it is complete tonight. Then though, I stupidly cropped it as the last step for a preview cover for the site I will post at and then didn't realize that I saved the psd file with my auto tendency to ctrl-s before I closed PS. :oooooo Everything gone in a second.

Everything I was seeing that others have posted online too was saying 'no, you've lost it' but thank heavens I kept searching phrases until I found your solution! <3<3<3

For anyone who is curious, my Windows 7 had saved one version each for the last 2 days so in the end, I only have to make up about an hour and a half's work and I know exactly what I did pretty much and saved pngs for all of it to document so I am not worried. Not anymore anyway!! Thank you again!! <3<3<3 XD
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Patron

Hi chephren and thanks for taking the trouble to register and post. Pleased to hear that the post of some help in recovering most of your work. Just in case needed a strong warning you cannot rely on this method to recover files and in this instance you were lucky as either a backup or a sys. restore point was created.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2016, 03:44 PM

Thanks Tony for #2 it is MUCH appreciated!

You have just saved me a big headache. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Hi Anna
I hope I am proved wrong, but if you have edited the original and saved then it is probable that you will not get back to the original unless............

1. If you are lucky and used layers to make your adjustments without touching the background layer and saved as photoshop file then you should be able to delete your layers to return to the original - I suspect though that you have probably edited the original without duplicating background

2. This one seems unlikely but... find your photoshop image file, right click and select Properties. In the dialogue box select Previous Versions. This one is a long shot as it depends if Windows (assume thats what you use!) has either created a restore point or any backup. If you do find a previous version follow the instructions to re install. I have never tried this myself so will be interested if it is of any help

Good luck
Tony
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help