Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Camera Raw Help

Old 10-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Patron

Re: Camera Raw Help

Try going into Workspace>Keyboard Shortcuts & Menus; Click on the triangle beside File and scroll down to see if the Visibility for Save As has been turned off.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Patron

Your screenshots show you have the Windows version of Photoshop, Murray. I have a Mac. Could it be a difference between the two operating systems? My "Save As" is visible and I can't find anything in Photoshop, ACR, or Bridge preferences that might make a difference. There is no "Open As" in the Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus to turn on or off under the File entry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 04:54 PM

MM, I did what you suggested. There is a SAve As and a key command, but no "eye" to make it visible or not. Que Paso?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 05:13 PM

YES!!! A million times yes, there it is under File>Open, at the bottom of the window that then opens is the enable pull down which seems to be defaulted to Photoshop. Just pull down that menu and look for Photoshop RAW. There also is a menu item for Camera RAW.

Anyway-hoooorayyyyy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 05:19 PM

Newbie Re: Camera Raw Help

It works better, for me, if I open a jpg in Camera Raw. Other wise it asks me questions about dimensions, and other things I have no idea what they are talking about. Choosing Camera RAW opens it in the Adobe Camera RAW application.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Patron

Hi Lurch, on a MAC there is no Open As. Instead, you go File>Open, then select "All Documents", then select the file name, then the file type. I am going from memory because I have not used a MAC in a long time, but my guess is that instead of jpg you would choose Camera RAW.
Reagrds, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Patron

Ha! Who'da thunk it! That worked. Thanks, Murray.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmikey View Post
Are you trying to open a JPG in Camera Raw or are you trying to open a RAW image?
I am trying to open a JPG, and I've already selected the prefer camera raw in the options.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Red face Re: Camera Raw Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz View Post
Guenevere, someone here will be able to help if you work with us to find out the reason. We will need to ask questions and get answers back --

You have CS 3 - do you have any version of Adobe Camera Raw plugin (Camera Raw.8bi ) installed? You would find it in this location on your computer: Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats
Here is a link to a page that has a download for CS3 (there are newer versions of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), but the newest ones will not work on CS3. (I had CS3 but I don't remember if it came with ACR or if I had to add it.)

What format of photo were you trying to open in Camera raw - was it a raw format image, a jpeg, a tif file or a Photoshop .psd file? When you have Camera Raw working on your system, and you are using Bridge to look thru your list of images, it will open raw files, and if you right-click on a jpeg file in Bridge, it should give you the option of opening the file in ACR.

Let us know whether you already have the plug-in installed, or when you get it installed, and how things work for you.
I do have Camera Raw plug-in installed.

If I select a file from it's original file folder in windows explorer and right click open with..PS then when photoshop opens the image is in Camera Raw, But once I click open the file, I have no way to go back to Camera raw.
There seems to be no way to get into camera raw other than opening the file directly from the folder.

Thanks
Sorry for delayed response, I was out of town.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Patron

Guenevere, I am not sure what you are trying to do. If you have processed an image in Camera RAW, have opened it in PS, but then you want to go back into Camera RAW with that image, you need to do the following:
After processing your image in Camera RAW, do NOT click the Open button. Instead, hold the shift key down and the open button will change from Open to Open Object. That's what you want to click so that the image opens in PS as a smart object. You can then double click the layer's smart object icon and the image will reopen in Camera RAW.
If you are trying to use Camera RAW as an independent program, you can't do that. You need to access this plugin from Bridge or from Photoshop. You can also change PS preferences so that all jpgs and tiffs will automatically open in Camera RAW when you double click them or right click and select open with PS. Not sure if that answers your question?
Regards, Murray

Last edited by mistermonday; 10-05-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help