RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

How to size things in Photoshop?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:01 PM

How to size things in Photoshop?

I used to think it was easy to size in Photoshop and then I discovered that the images I resized in Photoshop weren't the size I sized them for. In other words I resized an image to 100 kb only to find out that the image was 10kb after the sizing. Checking the size of an image in Photoshop for me is a real challenge because it must be done in a certain way to make sure you get the right size.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Patron

Re: How to size things in Photoshop?

Sirrduke, are you referring to the size of the image in terms of the number of pixels / its resolution & dimensions, or are you referring to the size of the physical file stored on a hard drive when you save an image? Those two are very different..
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2011, 08:20 PM

I am referring to the size of the file when stored to the hard drive. I have to say that I finally purchased image well to size files to a size I would store on the hard drive but it would be nice to be able to do in photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Patron

In PS, if you do File>Save As, the dialog box will give you a pretty close estimate of what the saved file size will be at each of the quality level (1 thru 12) for JPG files. HOWEVER, remember that JPG is a destructive / lossy compression format. As you compress more to obtain a smaller file size you also damage the file more by throwing away valuable color information. That damage is not reversible. While you may not always see it, the damage is still there and it continues to worsen each time you modify the file and re-save it.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 PM

Smile Re: How to size things in Photoshop?

Thanks for the help. The more I research editing in Photoshop the happier I am to have bought and downloaded the software I got. It is direct, easily adjustable, and only takes dropping the file into the program. Your image is adjusted once to the size wanted without having to resize again and again to get the right size like photoshop. Then after the resizing you have to take the settings that adjust the image to the right size and adjust the original final so you don't have image deterioration. I guess you could say that using Photoshop makes image size readjusting more complex and laborious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2011, 03:26 AM

So. With your system, when it automatically resizes, no information is discarded or interpolated?
R.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help