Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Netbook screen resolution too small for CS5

Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Netbook screen resolution too small for CS5

Hello,

Does anybody know how to tweak the screen resolution of an Asus netbook to 1024 x 768 (see screen capture below)? I can't use some of Photoshop's commands as the menus are too big for a netbook.

Many thanks,

Sylvia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asus resolution.jpg (45.0 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2011, 10:02 AM

Re: Netbook screen resolution too small for CS5

Hi,

well i guess you cannot exceed the maximum of 600px hin height. Some notebooks support some technique to scroll the screen if it doesn't fit in the resolution .. but don't ask me how to do this ... i think i saw this when someone had a secondary screen attached (with higher resolution) and the notebook displayed a clone of the first screen ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Patron

What you will need to find (if available) is a driver for the netbooks graphics adaptor. If it is available then you may be able to alter screen resolution to your requirements.

Have on hand your exact product model number, series and try the following to see what is available
http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

Hope this of some help
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the link, Tony. I already have the latest driver and it didn't help.
It know it's possible to change the resolution to 1024x768 on some netbooks but it might not be possible on this model...
Thanks to both of you anyways,
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 05:38 AM

My understanding for Eee 1000 series highest resolution is 1024x600. You can plug in an external monitor (although larger monitor might slow performance) but that probably is defeating the purpose.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel123 View Post
My understanding for Eee 1000 series highest resolution is 1024x600. You can plug in an external monitor (although larger monitor might slow performance) but that probably is defeating the purpose.
That's for sure ! I bought it to travel light, but it sure isn't easy to use some of Photoshop's features.
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 07:29 AM

Hi Sylvia: If I understand you well, the resolution setting has nothing to do with the computer's brand or kind, it has to do with Windows instead (if you are using Windows OS) on Display Properties. Here is a link, I hope this helps. http://www.petri.co.il/quickly-chang...-windows-7.htm OR http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...esolution.mspx

Last edited by Boneappetit; 01-21-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
Hi Sylvia: If I understand you well, the resolution setting has nothing to do with the computer's brand or kind, it has to do with Windows instead (if you are using Windows OS) on Display Properties. Here is a link, I hope this helps. http://www.petri.co.il/quickly-chang...-windows-7.htm OR http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...esolution.mspx
It's quite the contrary, Boneappetit. The maximum resolution is set by the computer itself, nothing to do with Windows 7 (see the screen capture I posted. I can't have a resolution higher than the one in the screen capture).
Thanks anyways,
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvia1065 View Post
It's quite the contrary, Boneappetit. The maximum resolution is set by the computer itself, nothing to do with Windows 7 (see the screen capture I posted. I can't have a resolution higher than the one in the screen capture).
Thanks anyways,
Sylvia
Sorry about my ignorance, but I don't understand, because Display Properties Setting is actually a basic part of Windows OS or any OS for that matter. (excuse my bad english). In other words, any computer needs the OS in order to set the monitor display or resolution. I understand when you say that "the computer sets the maximum resolution by itself", the computer is actually dealing with Windows Display Properties, otherwise it cannot work because the computer depends on the OS to work along.

I don't know much about Windows 7 but here is a link about screen resolution on Windows 7. It doesn't hurt to try. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...een-resolution

Bear in mind that different monitors can only support a few resolutions.

PS. Sylvia, taking a good look at your screen capture pic. I guess your computer highest resolution is 1024 x 600 I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by Boneappetit; 01-21-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
Sorry about my ignorance, but I don't understand, because Display Properties Setting is actually a basic part of Windows OS or any OS for that matter. (excuse my bad english). In other words, any computer needs the OS in order to set the monitor display or resolution. I understand when you say that "the computer sets the maximum resolution by itself", the computer is actually dealing with Windows Display Properties, otherwise it cannot work because the computer depends on the OS to work along.

I don't know much about Windows 7 but here is a link about screen resolution on Windows 7. It doesn't hurt to try. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...een-resolution

Bear in mind that different monitors can only support a few resolutions.

PS. Sylvia, taking a good look at your screen capture pic. I guess your computer highest resolution is 1024 x 600 I hope I'm wrong.
Bonappetit, I could get a higher resolution by plugging another monitor (I tried it and the screen resolution options changed right away).
Unfortunately, I can't get beyond 1024x600 without an external monitor. And since I'm on the road, not too many options to plug one!
And because I can't get it to 1024x728, it means some Photoshop menus display only the top part of the menu (for example the HDR toning function).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help