Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Problem with Bridge

Old 03-19-2011, 07:29 AM

Question Problem with Bridge

Hello
I am new to this forum, but let me try anyway. I have this problem:

I had to re-install Photoshop CS5 on my Mac (OS 10.6.6). I also re-installed Bridge. When I now double-click any image in Bridge Photoshop will not open. Instead there is the message: "Some of the alpliction components are missing from the Application directory. Please reinstall the application."

This is strange, because if I left-click on any image in Bridge, the dialogue lets me select Photoshop, and then all works fine (the only disadvantage of this method is that it's unnecessarily slow).

Strangely in this dialogue I see three options (open with...):
  1. Adobe Illustrator - OK, I have that but that's obviously not what I will select.
  2. Adobe Photoshop (Standard) - if I select that I repeat the problem, PS will not open.
  3. Adobe Photoshop - if I select that PS does open.

So it seems Bridge is confused about where Photoshop is. However, I only have one PS installed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

jalean
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Janitor

Re: Problem with Bridge

I don't use a Mac, but I found this. Maybe it can help.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/497/cpsid_49737.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2011, 12:39 PM

Question Re: Problem with Bridge

Thanks for trying to help. I followed the steps on Adobes Website, but unfortunately it did not help. jalean
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalean View Post
...I had to re-install Photoshop CS5 on my Mac (OS 10.6.6). I also re-installed Bridge. When I now double-click any image in Bridge Photoshop will not open. Instead there is the message: "Some of the alpliction components are missing from the Application directory. Please reinstall the application."
....jalean
First let me say I am not a Mac user therefore anything I am about to suggest should be treated with a little caution

The most interesting thing I picked up from you post is your comment "I had to re-install Photoshop CS5 on my Mac (OS 10.6.6). I also re-installed Bridge"
Couple of questions:
1. Why did you have to re-install Photoshop CS5 i.e. what happened to make you have to re-install?

2. Have you removed an earlier version of Photoshop after the install of CS5?

3. Have you actually followed the instruction to re-install the application?

I believe that the problem could be as simple as you have just lost the file associations for opening with PS. I am making the assumption that the Mac software does not differ greatly from Windows, so here goes:
Couple of suggestions that may work in order of preference.

a. In Bridge goto Edit/Preferences and select File Type Associations in the right hand panel select the file types that you want PS to open and click on the drop down arrow to select Photoshop. If Photoshop not there (as I suspect) click on browse then goto the PS application folder and click on Photoshop.exe.
Repeat this for each file type that you want PS to deal with.

b. I seem to recollect that there can be issues relating to language packs (but not sure where I got this from!). You could just try and run setup.exe again and choose to install English International or English US

If this fails then the best suggestion I can offer is to uninstall PS and Bridge and start again with a clean install.

Hope something here of help
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2011, 04:30 AM

I am a mac user and seem to remember something like this happening on the demo version before I put in a license number because there was some kind of authentication that has to happen the first time you open bridge from your paid version.

A pain! I agree. I'd open a thread at Adobe before going through the trouble of (re)reinstalling...
http://www.adobe.com/support/bridge/?promoid=GWELO
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 AM

Dear all!

Many thanks for the various attempts to help. By now I have sorted it out. As is often the case, the cause of the problem was my own negligence.

Before re-installing the software I had carefully de-installed the old (defect) versions. However the de-installer did not "see" another, forgotten copy of Photoshop. So no wonder that Bridge got confused as what to open. After deleting that forgotten copy and re-installing, everything is working fine.

Sorry, I should have figured this out myself and not troubled anyone. But as you may well know, one can have a blind spot when messy situations turn up.

Great to see how one can get support in this forum, though. Many thanks again

jalean
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help