RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Friend is having problem with Image Processor

Old 03-22-2011, 01:17 AM

Friend is having problem with Image Processor

A friend who photographs homeless animals to promote their adoption is having a problem processing her most recent shoot (I have emailed her a request for more info, but here's the original statement). She does really good work, and I want to help her get her images processed quickly.

"I cannot get the image processor to work --- I have had trouble before but after restarting PS or my whole computer it worked but now it won't. I get a script alert and a pop up saying it cannot process the files but I can see it run the action --- it will open the raw files selected, resize, sharpen and close the file, it even makes the JPEG folder in my main folder but it is empty. I have over 200 files from a shoot on Friday that I need to change to jpgs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Patron

Re: Friend is having problem with Image Processor

There may be a whole bunch of reasons it won't run including source file incompatibility, disc access, free memory, disc cache, ... She should go through a series of troubleshooting steps beginning with trying to run the script on a folder containing just two of those RAW files, not 200. In the meantime if she needs to get the immediate job out, just write a tiny action to open, resize, and save. Then use the File>Automate>Batch. She will have additional flexibilities.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 AM

Murray, thank you so much for responding - your knowledge is highly valued. I sent your recommendations to her, and also received more info about her initial situation. If it gives you any new ideas, we'd love to hear.

"She has a "less than one year old PC computer with Windows 7 with an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, 3.40 Gz, with 8 GB RAM 64 bit operating system. I have 1.23 TB of memory on my disk left out of 1.81 usable." Uses CS 5 (have only had problems with the 64 bit version crashing on me so I only use CS 5 32 bit. I have used Batch processing in previous versions of PS but in CS 5 I think something changed and now use the Image Processor for the same kind of task, converting multiple files and saving in a new folder. I used it several times the past couple of months and about 3 weeks ago with no problems but a while back I got script errors too and a friend told me to restart PS and then restart my computer and it worked after that. Now restarting does not help, I even read on a forum that for Mac you hold down the option key and restart Bridge so I tried holding down the Alt key and restarting Bridge and it did not help. I will attach a screen shot of the script error alert.

I set these parameters --- choose raw files in my main folder, set an action to run that resizes, converts the color profile to sRGB, sharpens for the web and saves in a jpg folder in the main folder. I even deleted that action and redid it thinking maybe the action had gotten corrupted. The action works when run directly from PS, not from Bridge so maybe that is where the problem is....however I just tested it and used a different set of raw files (Murphy) and it saved them to the original folder I had used when creating the action (Nicholas), drat. It is not supposed to do that, so maybe I need to turn off the "save" step when using that action in the future, or I will have to rewrite it for every folder I start from.

When I run the image processor I see the raw files open in PS, resize (because it very briefly flashes small) and then close. So I look in my main folder and there is the JPEG folder the processor creates but nothing is in it."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scriptalert_imageprocessor.jpg (84.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg script alert_latest.jpg (87.0 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Patron

Oh deear, where to begin. Firstly I am surprised that PS64 is causing crashes in Win7 64. I have found it to be the most stable yet. She may want to look at the Win 7 build and the rest of the apps on her system.
Win 7 has a bunch or weird internal security mechanisms. Make sure that she has full read/write permissions for the destination folder.
There have been some strange issues reported with bridge. While troubleshooting, I would keep that app closed.
The action may be causing the problem but rather than re-writing it, do not include it but just see if the basic script will run and just try it on a folder with 2 or 3 files not 200.
Given the crashing situation, she might want to uninstall and do a fresh 32 bit re-install and immediately download and install all the CS5 patches that Adobe has released in the past year.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2011, 02:37 PM

Thanks again - SO much, Murray!! I know trying to diagnose from miles away is no fun. She's getting the job done using ACR to work on multiple images, but would like to get her image processor working again.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2011, 01:31 PM

I have had the same problem. I usually try to compress pictures down a bit before giving them out and am currently converting thousands of pictures for publishing on the web. It is quite annoying to have the batch process die halfway through. I am going to run with bridge not running and will report.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2011, 12:37 AM

I tried with Bridge closed and had the same problem still. My hypothesis is that there is something with the resize action (it uses some "fit" command or something similar) that runs into errors. I created my own action that does a image resize and ran that action instead of the batch resize image. This seems to work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthemagicmoos View Post
I tried with Bridge closed and had the same problem still. My hypothesis is that there is something with the resize action (it uses some "fit" command or something similar) that runs into errors. I created my own action that does a image resize and ran that action instead of the batch resize image. This seems to work.
Glad you found a workaround, especially with a project as large as yours. Appreciate you sharing your good news.

What version of Photoshop are you using? What version of Windows? If you are running Windows 7, are you running the 32 or 64 bit version of PS? (I'm asking for the benefit of others who may be experiencing similar symptoms.)

For your workaround I understand that you wrote your own action to resize images. What's not clear to me is how you invoked that action: via Automate > Batch or Scripts > Image Processor?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2011, 11:00 AM

Sorry, I wasn't thorough because I thought the thread might be pretty dead~

I am running windows 7x64 and randomly alternate between 64 bit and 32 bit photoshop CS4. I have had this problem continuously even though I have factory reset my computer multiple times over the years.

I recorded an action where I simply apply Image->Image size.

To batch, I would use the script->image processor. I then leave "resize to fit" unchecked and instead "run action" doing the action I previously recorded.

Automate->batch probably works as well, but I honestly am unfamiliar with it (does it preserve folder hierarchy?).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2011, 07:23 PM

FYI: I have a long running interest in actions, scripts, batch processing, etc., so my ears (eyes?) perk up when I run accross threads on these topics. Missed this thread completely, though... (too many forums, too little time)

The symptoms you and CJ's friend are experiencing ring a bell... A couple years ago I recall reading a couple threads in the Windows/Photoshop forum at Adobe.com in which a couple folks similar issues. If memory serves it was prior to Win 7. Might have been around the time CS4 was released because Adobe engineer-types (who monitor the forum) jumped in and tried to assist in the event the new PS version was at the root of the problem. The back/forth went on for days; dozens of posts in the threads.

I was still using PS 7 at the time and had yet to use Image Processor (use it all the time now under CS3), so I didn't have a vested interest in a resolution and don't know how it came out. But it wasn't anything straight forward like allocating more RAM to Photoshop, more scratch disk space or uninstalling/reinstalling Photoshop.

Anywho, if you haven't yet, you might do some error msg. text keyword searches at Adobe.com to see if there was a definitive resolution. (Note: I'm not trying to "shoo you away" from RP; just pointing you toward a potential resolution.)

re: Automate > Batch and folder structure

Like Image Processor one can specify an input folder and optionally 'all subfolders,' but output is limited to a single folder regardless of the input specification. Pretty clunky, I'm afraid.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help