Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

batch autodeskew ( autostraighten ) without crop

Old 04-03-2011, 04:45 AM

batch autodeskew ( autostraighten ) without crop

LS,
new to the forum, and love the great wealth of info here !
will definately browse for more tips !
:-)

My problem ( in Chinese the same charature for challenge... )

I have scanned my entire LaserDisc and DVD ( BD ) collection, and have over 2000 images.
When I use the batch "crop and straighten" function in PS, it tends to cut all the still on the some of the covers, and so I end up with loads of pictures ( or parts there of ), that I don't need...

PSE has a function to just straighten a picture.
Once straightened, I can manually crop them ( but they NEED to be straightened first... ).
I don't mind the manual crop, since it is closer to my personal wishes than the auto result, but if I need to straighten them as well, that is going to cost me extra time ( and lots of it... ).

Is there a way to edit the "crop and straighten" action in PS ( as part of the default actions ) so it will just straighten without crop ?
So I can then execute it in PSE ( or in PS itself ) ?

Or am I looking at scripting the required action ?
( I am a Medical student, and that would not be my forté... )

I have recorded an action in PS that crops and straightens, and then saves.
This is now an .atn file, which I have opened with a hex editor, but that was like a Concorde to me...

Thanx,
lucas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Patron

Re: batch autodeskew ( autostraighten ) without cr

Lucas, welcome to RetouchPro! Do you have Photoshop (not Elements), and if you do, which version of PS do you have? The crop tool in PS (I think it is in all of the CS1 thru 5 versions) allows you to crop and straighten in single motion or two. You just drag the Crop tool across the area that you wish to retain, then move the cursor to one of the corners and it turns into a rotate tool. You rotate the canvas until the marquee aligns with a horizontal or vertical imaginary line in the photo, then hit the enter button. If it looks like there will be white space in the corners, just hold the shif key down and drag a corner to resize the crop area, then hit enter.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elmatthijs MM1.jpg (148.7 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2011, 09:37 AM

LS,
I use PS CS5 and PSE 9.

PSE gives me the choice between "crop and straighten" or just straighten ( PSE under Image, Rotate, bottom two options - PS under File, Automate, Crop and Straighten Photo's ).
It is much easier for me to have a cover that is square ( or rectangular ) to begin with, with "perfect" horizontal and vertical lines, and then use the "crop tool" in PS.
This is more accurate than using a crop tool with non perpendicular sides ( right angels ).

I feels to me that the "cheap" PSE can do something, but not automated, that the "expensive" PS can't... Independent batch image straightening...

Can the function in PSE be automated, via script, or the function in PS be edited not to included the first step of the two step process ?

Thanx,
lucas.

PS: I am running tial versions of both PS and PSE
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Patron

Relying on a machine to auto straighten your images is a dangerous thing to do, especially when the horizontal or vertical reference points are not sharp straight edges. Are you aware that Photoshop has a very fast effective semi-automatic straightening tool?
You select the Ruler tool (3rd tool under the Eyedropper tool) and you just click and drag the tool along any line or axis that you wish to be the Horizontal or Vertical axis of the image. Then type Alt+I, G,A and hit the enter key and your image will be straightened. The key sequence is the shortcut for Image>Rotate>Arbitrary. Using the tool and the keyboard short cut takes all of about 5 secs, is very accurate, and just the way you want it - no auto guesswork.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2011, 01:32 PM

LS,
most of my scans have a 12" vertical and a 12" horizontal edge ( four edges in total ); furthermore, there is usually text on the cover, so autostraighten works just dandy :-)

And when the image is staightened, I must check each image by hand and then correct those that went wrong.
Finally I would need to crop them, by hand, so they are cropped where I want them to be..

And croping, using the croptool, which also uses a square, is easy ( need to do 2300 scans though... ).
Just need to gamble the one corner, adjust the sides, and Bob's your uncle !

If I can autostraigten the 2300 scans first, I would be able to see which ones ( few ) would need extra work, since the square of the crop tool won't run parallel to the image.

I am looking for an automated, preselection action.

I have used the straighten tool by drawing a line manually, but am too precise here, blow up the image and try to get it right daon to the last pixel...

VERY time comsuming...

NEED a quick fix ( or preselection ).
PSE can do it manually, and while the image is open anyways, I can crop it as well, but it is an extra step, and with my scans being close to 200 mb ( I'll convert them to jpg later ), it will take 30 sec or so per scan ( times 2300 scans, that IS a lot of time ).
A batch could run ON ( over night )...

I used a batch to autoflatten the image ( in case I forgot some ), and will use it to autosharpen and autoconvert to jpg as final steps...

IF there is no way to edit the default actions in PS or to batch a PSE only function, I'll need to do it all by hand, and since I must, I will ( but woudl prefer a little batch help on forehand ).
( let the computer nitpick for me... ).

Hope this gives a better idea of what I am looking for, and why...

Thanx,
lucas.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help