Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

noisy PhotoShop !!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:56 PM

noisy PhotoShop !!

Hello,
I have canon 5D, but I notice a problem with my photos when I open them in photoshop. there is a lot of noise in the shadow and the colors in the shadow behave strangely, specially skin tone, it get green or red tones!!. Even when I set the ISO to 50. But the strange thing, is that when I open the same photo in Digital Photo Professional, it is grate!!, no noise or strange tones!! I tried to open my photos with other application, the same problem is there. It seams to only work with Digital Photo Professional!!. Any ideas of how to fix that?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Patron

Re: noisy PhotoShop !!

NASEERov, welcome to RetouchPro. There are different types of noise. Are your images RAW or jpg? It would be best if you posted some representative samples - images or parts of images. Ideally it would be best if you could post a "out of the camera" original.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2011, 09:13 AM

Excess noise at lower (native) ISO is the result of under exposure of the raw data. Also check your ACR defaults if its only showing up there and not the Canon converter. Could be something way off in the sharpening tab etc. You can always reset to defaults from the flyout menu in the upper corner of the dialog. Also see:
http://www.digitalphotopro.com/techn...g-for-raw.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2011, 03:26 PM

Thanks guys for your response. This is the link of the image I get out of my camera..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orjowani/5619299513/
It is a RAW file converted to JPG using ACR at default settings.

I know about the shadow noise but I think this is too much, specially when setting the ISO to 50. Actually I test the same photo on my sister HP laptop. The photo was fine, so, now I’m sure the problem is with my computer. I did calibrate my laptop screen, I assign ICC profile for my canon 5D in ACR. What is that I did wrong!!?

Andrew, Thanks for the article. It is so informative.
Murray, Thanks for you respond. Check the link please.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Patron

When I examine the image you posted I do not see any noise even zoomed in at 400%. FYI, your shadows have been clipped quite a bit, but that only means they are pure black and will have no detail when printed. But they won't show noise. If you would like to post a link to the RAW file, I will be glad to take a look at it.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Hello NASEER, I can see the clipping in the Red and Blue Channels but it doesn't seem unusual for an image this dark. I can imagine if you used the shadow/highlight adjustment you would see it start to show.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2011, 02:30 PM

Thanks mushmush.
Murray, this is the link for the RAW file
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9bqeo7
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Patron

Naseer, your RAW image is of very good quality. There is neither significant color noise nor luminance noise. There is lots of recovery data in the RAW file. For example if you increase the exposure a small amount, reduce the Blacks slider to zero and add a small amount of fill light, your shadows will no longer be clipped. In fact if you look closely you can see the subjects right ear clearly (although you may not want to). I also found that the shadows could be raised to quite a high level without inducing signicificant noise in the shadow area. Bottom line: this is a low noise RAW image and any noise that you are ending up with is a result of your processing or subsequent treatment.
Screenshot attached below with shadows recovered and within acceptable print range.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NASEERov Screenshot1.jpg (191.2 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2011, 06:50 PM

The raw is under exposed, hence the increase in noise. IF you hold down the Alt/Option key in ACR and move exposure slider to the right, only when you get to +1.15 do you start to see any clipping of the spectral highlight on the glasses. IOW, you could have added at least a stop more exposure during capture which would result in less noise in the shadows as discussed with the ETTR article I posted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2011, 09:33 AM

I'm sure now the problem is with my calibration device (i1 display 2). It is so poor quality!!!
I used the calibration method in my Mac BookPro. Now it is acceptable.
Would you guys recommend any calibration kit?.. I'm thinking of getting (Spyder 3 Elite), What do you think?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help