RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Magical wand tool error alert - how do I solve it?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 AM

Question Magical wand tool error alert - how do I solve it?

Greetings.

First, I have googled this problem for 2 hours without finding a solution.

I am getting the message while trying to use the "magical wand tool".

"Warning, no pixels are more than 50% selected".

What I did when the warning started to appear was that I used the magic wand tool to adjust some brightness and contrast on some details of a clothing photo. I have done this thousands of times and now suddenly I get that error message all the time.

My "feather" have been set to 0 all the time - so I can not solve the problem by the guides advising to set to feather to 0 as its already set to 0.

Secondly:

In all the guides it is stated that the selection is still there when I get this message, but its just not visible. That is not correct in my case, as nothing changes to the photo whatever I do after getting the error.

Why did this message start to appear randomly after doing the same thing thousands over times without getting this error?

To be honest I am a complete noob, and have no idea what to do.

How can I get rid of this warning for good and be able to use the "magical wand tool" again?

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Regards

Z
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Patron

Re: Magical wand tool error alert - how do I solve

Welcome to Retouchpro Z

The only time I have seen that error message is when I have been working incorrectly with a tool perhaps on the wrong layer?

Anyway you could try reset of the particular tool. You do not mention what version of Photoshop but for CS5 the following action works

Click on the magic wand dropdown icon at the top left of the screen (under the file edit menus).
In the dropdown box that appears click on the arrow on the right. In the new box that opens select Reset Tool.

EDIT: Had a play. If you have already selected an area and try and select another area to add/subtract to it then if you do not hold down the shift key to add or the Alt key to delete then you will also receive the message

Last edited by Tony W; 05-31-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Remove incorrect info added new
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2011, 04:34 PM

Hi Slekovsky:

The first step is what Tony already wrote above... If the problem persists you can do the following... This is a copy/paste from and old post I made:

When you have a problem like this in Photoshop, the best thing you can do is re-initiate Photoshop to it's default settings. To do this, hold control + alt + shift (command +option+shift on a Mac) and click the Photoshop icon. You will get a window asking if you want to delete the settings file, click YES. Photoshop will return to the default settings, and you won't lose the old settings, but you will need to re-do your preferences. This is something we need to do from time to time if you use Ps constantly, at least that is my case.

Hope this helps !
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
Hi Slekovsky:

The first step is what Tony already wrote above... If the problem persists you can do the following... This is a copy/paste from and old post I made:

When you have a problem like this in Photoshop, the best thing you can do is re-initiate Photoshop to it's default settings. To do this, hold control + alt + shift (command +option+shift on a Mac) and click the Photoshop icon. You will get a window asking if you want to delete the settings file, click YES. Photoshop will return to the default settings, and you won't lose the old settings, but you will need to re-do your preferences. This is something we need to do from time to time if you use Ps constantly, at least that is my case.

Hope this helps !
Re-setting to the default settings did the trick!

Thanks alot sir!

I will do this everytime I get this error in the future.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2011, 09:44 AM

Cool, glad it worked for you !
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help