Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Photoshop Zoom Broken?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Question Photoshop Zoom Broken?

I have attached a picture to try and show the problem.

I just bought a new 23" NEC monitor for my MacMini, with a resolution of 1920x1080. In Photoshop, it will open an image and the bottom of the window frame is 3" from the bottom of the monitor. If I zoom in, the Photoshop window gets wider, but stays 3" from bottom of screen.

The problem is NOT dock related. When I move the dock to my other 24" 1920x1200 monitor, the problem monitor still stays 3" from bottom, and the other 24" monitor lets the window zoom right up to the dock.

I have never seen this behavior before, and I can not find anything in Google searches. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2011-11-21 at 9.47.40 PM copy.jpg (69.6 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Re: Photoshop Zoom Broken?

Hi artofretouching

Sounds like a tough problem. It almost sound like Photoshop is picking up the 1080 info from the other monitor.

To help forum members help you more information may be needed. e.g. the specific year and model of Mac Mini (including the graphics card that model uses). Also, how are you connecting your two displays. Are the both through the mini-display port and split or are you taking one of the displays through the HDMI and an HDMI to DVI converter? Are you just using the DVI ports on the monitors. Also, when you open System Preferences, what does it show for resolution for both monitors. Also, I am assuming you are not using display mirroring.

I have had only one case where the window would not expand as yours yet that case seems unrelated because it was with the window slightly overlapped with the lower resolution display.

Here are some things that can be done to make sure the system did not get into a funny state.

- restart Photoshop
- restart you computer (cold boot)
- reset Photoshop preferences
- I would hold off on this next step because it is more involved and may not be the root of your issue: reinstall Photoshop

I do not believe the Mac-mini dual display capabilities are as flexible as the other mac models (e.g. Mac Book Pro ). To explore those issues the details requested above would need to be supplied. It may be just a limitation of the Mac Mini and how you have it set up.

ADDED EDIT: I also noted that you were not using your higher resolution display as the "primary" display. Was this on purpose. One additional thing that could be tried is to have your new monitor be the primary display. Just ask if you need to know how to do this.

Last edited by John Wheeler; 11-21-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Re: Photoshop Zoom Broken?

Just to follow up... I have a 2011 MacMini Server with Lion. I tried swapping around the HDMI and DVI cables, and otherwise poking at it without any luck. Then, at some point, I moved the palettes from one monitor to the other, and poof, it started working fine. No idea why, or the original cause. But, the end result, was after moving cables. changing resolution, and moving palettes, it eventually fixed itself.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help