Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Cursor Problems with Lion

Old 11-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Patron

Unhappy Cursor Problems with Lion

I experienced problems with my cursor changing from a brush, to a cursor while making the brush size bigger and smaller.

I tracked down this thread that has a large amount of people experiencing the same problems, with a variety of software. Does anyone know of a solution for it? It appears to be a Lion issue, and not Photoshop specific.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photos...11_macbook_air
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2011, 06:42 PM

Re: Cursor Problems with Lion

Lots of discussion on this issue. Here is a link to an Apple support thread on the same topic. Nothing definitive for everyone yet some have reported success. It is worth a look.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Some of the issues were specific to the type of mouse/trackpad folks were using. It may be useful to know what your setup for mouse/trackpad and wireless vs wired.

Let us know if you find a solution so others can benefit too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Patron

I guess I didnt explain well enough, the thread you suggested is apparently another unexplained lion bug.

With mine, if I have a brush and zoom, I can see the circle outline of the cursor, and can happily draw, clone, whatever. The problem is when I either change the size of the brush. I am sure there is a specific % that causes it, but I can make brush bigger, it looks bigger. Make bigger, looks bigger. Make bigger, it turns into an arrow cursor for the next 3-4 brush resizes, then eventually turns back to the round brush cursor.

Other times, it may even continue to show the round brush cursor, but it starts moving away from center. meaning, I can see a round brush, but using it is an inch or two over.

Past month I had this new machine, has been a cloning disaster.

2011 MacMini with Lion
Photoshop CS 5.5 (But people mention this happens in other programs)
Logitech Mouse
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2011, 08:47 AM

Hi artofretouching
Sorry you are still having trouble. To help eliminate Photoshop vs OSX here are some things I would try (I am sure you have already tried some of these)
- restart Photoshop
- cold boot of computer
- reset Preferences
- Try running with Preferences > Performance > Enable Open GL Drawing checked off
- Try a different pointer device (mouse, trackball, tablet, etc) especially if wireless
- Disable any keyboard or otherwise helper programs (some can interfere with mouse actions)
- Check all the Options in OSX System Preferences > Universal access to make sure you don't have anything turned on (can interfere with mouse operation)
- All Photoshop (or Suite) updates installed
- All OSX/driver updates installed
- Try running in Safe Mode (yes Macs have that too)
- Do you have any other Mac (non-mini) that you could temporarily install your CS5.5 (you can have two activations running simultaneously - If you do this, make sure you deactivate this copy when you are done). This could point to the MacMini if there it works fine on another computer.

Just trying to give pointers to some of the gotchas. If there is a driver or Photoshop bug these won't help yet the issue you have is
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofretouching View Post
I guess I didnt explain well enough, the thread you suggested is apparently another unexplained lion bug.

With mine, if I have a brush and zoom, I can see the circle outline of the cursor, and can happily draw, clone, whatever. The problem is when I either change the size of the brush. I am sure there is a specific % that causes it, but I can make brush bigger, it looks bigger. Make bigger, looks bigger. Make bigger, it turns into an arrow cursor for the next 3-4 brush resizes, then eventually turns back to the round brush cursor.

Other times, it may even continue to show the round brush cursor, but it starts moving away from center. meaning, I can see a round brush, but using it is an inch or two over.

Past month I had this new machine, has been a cloning disaster.

2011 MacMini with Lion
Photoshop CS 5.5 (But people mention this happens in other programs)
Logitech Mouse
I'm having exactly the same problem. CS5.5, OSX Lion, all latest updates. And this happens on Lightroom 3 also when using brush. 2011 macbook pro. Any solution to this yet?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Patron

Nope. I have tried all of the suggestions above, but nothing has helped. I just zoom in/out when it happens, until it displays properly again. If I had to guess, the cause is the Intel HD Graphics 3000 that is causing it. I read in a forum the cause seems to lie with dual monitors.

"If I have my external screen (Eizo CG223W) turned on, in standby mode, when i boot-up my mac, and the mini wakes up the screen from it's standby mode: the Photoshop brush issue is there. If i have the external screen powered off during boot up, and power the screen on manually afterwards, the brush issue is not there."

I have not tested it though. If you Google "Intel HD Graphics 3000 photoshop cursor" there were several topics about it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2011, 12:41 PM

Ok, thanks! Searched with that, maybe some help coming on 10.7.3 https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help