RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

JPEG to PSD is it possible?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:09 AM

Question JPEG to PSD is it possible?

hey all i am new here. i am learning graphic designing and wanna know is it possible to convert any *.JPEG photo to *.PSD via any software?
Regards.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Re: JPEG to PSD is it possible?

hi,
If I understand your question correctly the short answere would be no...

That is why you need to look at the specifications of the third party software, before you buy, and see what files they suport...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 AM

Well yes, you can depending on the software. You’ve lost the original data when converting to a JPEG in the first place. That data is gone, it is never coming back. However, everytime you edit an image and save a JPEG, it undoes further data loss. So the advantage here would be having a document that is now a PSD (personally I’d pick TIFF see below), it will be larger on disk (the advantage of JPEG) but any further editing will stop the data loss of saving as a JPEG.

Far, far more 3rd party products will allow you to save to a TIFF as it is a freely open file format. PSD isn’t. Other than Duotone support, there isn’t anything a PSD provides you can’t get from a TIFF.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 AM

Question Re: JPEG to PSD is it possible?

any 3rd party software suggestion?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Patron

Not sure why you would want to convert jpeg to psd as it seems obvious that you will not be able to edit it later as you do not have Photoshop.

There are a number of converters that may do the job you want such as Image Converter Plus Link Here

I agree with Andrew, as you will not be able to edit psd then why not convert to Tiff instead?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Question Re: JPEG to PSD is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Not sure why you would want to convert jpeg to psd as it seems obvious that you will not be able to edit it later as you do not have Photoshop.

There are a number of converters that may do the job you want such as Image Converter Plus Link Here

I agree with Andrew, as you will not be able to edit psd then why not convert to Tiff instead?
okay i got you guys point. so what is way to convert to Tiff
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Hi shadowless

It would help to know what OS and version you are on (e.g. Windows, OSX) and any type of graphics software. On my Mac, all I would have to do is pull up the Jpeg image in Preview and then save as TIFF.

With more details on what you have and maybe more of what your are trying to do (is a customer requesting a specific format) then forum members would be able to better provide targeted suggestions to your situation. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Patron

Not really trying to make a 'point' but just trying to understand why you need/wanted to do this, which would help to give the best recommendations.

As John says the operating system and current software will have a large bearing on what you can convert to without needing to spend any money!

For Windows users the easy way may be to open Paint (which is installed with the OS) and bringing your jpeg into this then saving as a Tiff. The link I posted also enables you to convert to other formats
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 PM

Load in Photoshop or Elements. Save as jpeg.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Patron

You can both load and save with PSD format in GIMP. Of course if you use layer properties, you might have issues since GIMP's layer properties are different then Photoshops and GIMP doesn't support adjustment layers. But for the basic jpg to psd, that's child's play for GIMP and PS for that matter. Like others have already mentioned, a jpeg has little if any edit info embedded in it (unless someone decided to add some info in the IPTC area of the jpeg; nearly nobody does this).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help