RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

saving as jpeg, change in dimensions

Old 01-17-2013, 03:35 PM

Re: saving as jpeg, change in dimensions

Ok, thanks so much again. These size questions were very difficult and you have cleared everything up. Much appreciated, Rutbh
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Patron

You are very welcome, Ruth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 PM

By the way - I read about increasing the dimensions of the image (e.g. to 200% of original) and keeping the resolution the same, use bicubic smoothing. I understand that this is not recommended and generally a bad idea. However, perhaps in my case, since I have few pixels to start with, just perhaps it might be something worth exploring. Any thoughts from anyone out there would be of great interest. Thanks again, Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Patron

There is actually nothing wrong with upsampling / upsizing. But remember the old expression "garbage in = garbage out". If you orig image is pixellated, noisy, etc, the upsized version will just be a larger copy and often when you enlarge something the flaws become more noticeable. Enlarging a good quality original is usually quite successful but often the edges in the image can become soft.
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2013, 02:05 PM

ok, I may try to increase the dimensions by a factor of 2 (200%), keeping the resolution at 250 ppi. Or I may increase the dimensions by 1.5-fold (150%) and use a resolution of 300 ppi.
I just figure I may have a bit more to work with even though it may be more garbage.

I found that surface blur and I think it was despeckle or dust and scratches helped a lot! Then I saw a video about layer masks, where in theory I should be able to use the eyes without the surface blur. Just trying to decide whether I should upsize first. Thanks again, Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Patron

You might have luck with a plugin by Topaz labs called DeJpeg.
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2013, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the idea. I will look into that Plugin. R
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 PM

PS. One thing that occurred to me is that the image I am working on will in the end be placed into a pdf that contains other images as well as text. The pdf will be downloadable from the internet, but it can only be viewed on the screen. Somehow the person that is making it will have some kind of security measure such that people can download it and view it on their screen, but cannot print it out. Some perhaps I am stressing unnecessarily about the pixels/inch. Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 PM

Newbie Re: saving as jpeg, change in dimensions

Just want to and an FYI here.

If you have an image of any dimension and want a larger one oh say for printing. If the original was something like 72 dpi and 4 x 6 inches inches in physical size you can sometimes output a really good looking larger image by moving the dpi up to 360. For some reason 360 seems to make all the difference. I have used it on 8 X 10's and made poster sized ones out of them and they almost looked better that the original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2013, 11:50 AM

This is very interesting information. I may try keeping the image the same size and moving the dpi up to 360 (from 100), if you think this might be a good idea.

I actually don't want to enlarge the image. My problem is that I want to keep the dimensions of the image the same as they already are (in photoshop). However, when I save to a jpeg, the dimensions become larger. I have to send the image to another person (as a jpeg). However, I want the jpeg they receive to be as high quality as possible, with the dimensions of the image being unchanged.

Seems like a simple thing but I can't manage to do this.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help