RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

saving as jpeg, change in dimensions

Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 PM

saving as jpeg, change in dimensions

I hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction.
I would like to save a psd file as a jpeg, using either Save As or Save for Web. I will save at high quality as I don't care about the file size.

What I am finding is that the dimensions (width X height) change whatever way I try to save as a jpeg. So, if I look at or print out the jpeg at 100%, it is much larger than the psd at 100%.

I would like to make the highest possible quality jpeg, where the dimensions of the image (at 100% scale) are unchanged.

Thanks if you have any suggestions for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Patron

Re: saving as jpeg, change in dimensions

If you save a psd which is let say 3" x 2" at a resolution of 300 ppi as a jpg, that jpg will be the exact size 3 x 2 @ 300ppi. However, if you open that image is a web browser, that web browser displays images at 72 ppi. Because the web browser can only display 72 ppi, the image is displayed at 4 times the size, or 12 x 8 at 72 ppi. You jpg file has not been modified but the browser has had to resize its representation of you image on screen because it can not delete pixels. If you are saving for web or display on a monitor, you should make a 2nd jpg and resize it so it is 3 x 2 at 72ppi.
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM

Thank you so much mistermonday for your reply. Perhaps you can help me a bit more. I have an image in Photoshop (a .psd file) - when I go to Image Size in Photoshop it tells me that the image is 1.02 inches wide and 1.944 inches in height, resolution 250 pixels/inch. (It is a 16 bit image)

When I save using Save As, and save as a jpeg, all indications are that everything is ok and the dimensions are unchanged (1.02X1.944 inches).

However, when I attach the jpeg to an email to send to other people, the image I see looks huge. Very pixelated. I am afraid that that is the image the other people will see, and it looks terrible.

I have more questions about size, but at least I am beginning to get a grip on this issue. My main problem is that the image is somewhat pixelated, and this is accentuated when it is scaled up. Ruth

Thanks so much again, Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Patron

Ruth, the Image Size window at the very top should therefore also tell you that the image is approx 255 pixels x 486 pixels. That's is not much bigger than 1/10th of 1 mega pixel. That is a pretty small image. Was the image a jpg before it was opened in PS? If the image originally had more pixels in it, and it was properly downsized to 255 x 486 then it would look just passable on your monitor when viewed around 3.5 x 6.5 inches (screen resolution of 72 ppi). However, if it was downsized and compressed at a low jpeg setting it would have been degraded possibly to the point where you are now seeing large square blocks (pixelation) and color distortion. The more you enlarge it the worse it will look. I suspect the orig image file was way larger than the 120K pixels you have. I would go back and rework the original. There will be basically nothing you can do to enhance the small amount of info you are left with.
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 PM

Yes, that is correct Murray, the image is 255 pixels X 486 pixels.

Yes, I think the original scan is the problem. It was sent to me as a zipped jpeg. When I unzipped it, the resulting Image Size was 12.115 X 16.667 inches, 96 pixels/inch. The main problem is that I only want a portion of this image. So I cropped the portion with the person I want.
I then made the image smaller (in inches) to increase the resolution to 250 pixels per inch.
Thanks so much again for helping me. Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Patron

After you crop your image, go into the Image Size window. Make sure that the Resample box is UNchecked. This will make sure that no pixels are thrown away nor false ones created. Now change the width and length dimensions or the resolution to whatever you like. But you will see there is a fixed relationship. If you increase the resolution from 96 to 250, your width and length will decrease to about 1/3. Make sure when you save as, that you use a jpg setting of 12 ( best quality). That's about as good as it gets because your source file is only about 1.5 mega pixels. E
Most low end cameras and even cell phones are now around 5 mp. And you are cropping down your 1.6 to less than 10% of that.
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM

Many thanks again for the rapid response. Yes, basically I made the dimensions of the Image smaller to increase the resolution to 250. I did not have any resampling going on, because I understand about that, not good. Actually, the image is amazingly better than it was at one time, thanks to a lot of pointers from Crazyfly a couple of weeks ago. The image is on the forum about Image Help. I am still deciding whether I can use it. It is 1000% better given where it started from, and that is pretty good considering that I started from near zero in terms of retouching knowledge. However, even more than the remaining pixelation, I am now worried that it may look "photoshopped".

Anyway, if you have time, perhaps I could ask you another question about Image Size, and more specifically Print Size. I watched a video where it was explained that one has to determine the resolution of one's monitor in order to be able to see the Photoshop Image at the Print Size. So based on my screen which seems to be 2880 pixels across and about 14 inches across, I determined a monitor resolution of about 200-205 pixels per inch. I put that information into the appropriate place, as it was explained in the video. However, when I tell Photoshop to make the image Print Size, and I compare that to the actual size after I print out the image, it is pretty far off. The image on the screen in photoshop actually isn't the true print size.

Thanks if you have any clues. Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Patron

No, you do not need to know the monitor resolution to preview the print size. After you size the image, the print will be the same size as the W and L as shown in Image Size. If you sized the image (for example) 4 x 6 inches at 240 ppi, the image printed will be 4 x 6. If you sized the image to 4 x 6 at 24 ppi, the image will still print at 4 x 6 but will look horrible because there won't be that many pixels per inch. Most ink jet printers expect about 300 ppi for good print quality.
To actually preview the image at the print size, just go to the View Menu in PS and select View Print Size. Regardless of the resolution PS will show you how the image will look at the actual print size.
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 PM

That is the part that is confusing me. When I go to View >Print Size, what I see is an image that is much larger than 1.02 inches X 1.944 inches.

So in other words, when I go to Image Size, it says the image is 1.02 X 1.944 inches. However, when I go to View >Print Size, the image I see is much larger than that. About twice as large.

That was kind of why I was wondering whether the 16 bit image might in some way be making a difference.

Thanks again so much. Getting late here on the East Coast. Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Patron

OK, I see your issue. That command is referenced to a standard resolution. Unfortunately PS does not know what monitor resolution you are actually using. But the solution is not to change your monitor resolution setting. Do View Print View. If the size shown is not the same as when you measure it with a ruler, use the zoom tool to increase or decrease the image size until it measures correctly (usually means going up or down one size). In future you will need to zoom to that same zoom value. It's a bit of a pain and PS should actually present a warning but that is the way it works.
Cheers, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help