RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Printed image much darker than on screen

Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Re: Printed image much darker than on screen

Perhaps it is because I am on a Mac Retina Display, in other words, the display on my laptop is very good. I think I am really out of my league on this one. The thing I am working toward is sending this image to someone else. The reason I was worried was that when I print it out, it looks terrible. Therefore, I was worried that it would look terrible to the person who is going to receive it. Thank you all for your help, will keep working on this. Ruith
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2013, 10:57 PM

You should calibrate your display & the person who will print your pic should send you a profile to convert to.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM

Yes, I am sure you are correct, I am just out of my league here, even though I realize that this should be very basic. The person did send me a copy of the pdf that my image will be added to. I just don't really know how to determine the profile. I can see that it was does with Pscript5.dIIVersion5.2, but I believe that this is not related to the profile of interest here.
The weird thing is that I have sent other images that are already included in the pdf, and they are fine. However, I am worried about the particular image I am working on now because for some reason it looks way too dark when I print it out here.
Much appreciation for everyone's help. Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCraig View Post
Yes, I am sure you are correct, I am just out of my league here, even though I realize that this should be very basic. The person did send me a copy of the pdf that my image will be added to. I just don't really know how to determine the profile. I can see that it was does with Pscript5.dIIVersion5.2, but I believe that this is not related to the profile of interest here.
The weird thing is that I have sent other images that are already included in the pdf, and they are fine. However, I am worried about the particular image I am working on now because for some reason it looks way too dark when I print it out here.
Much appreciation for everyone's help. Ruth
You're making this way too complicated. I posted a simple explanation before. No object can reflect more light than what hits it, so if white on your display is brighter than that paper white, it won't match under that lighting. There are ways to correlate these things. You can measure the output of everything from printer to display to lighting. That costs a lot of money. For now just turn the display down until it matches that base paper white or at least comes close under your lighting. Do that before your next post. Then go from there. Keep in mind this isn't a macbook thing. Displays better than that one have been available in desktop form factors for years. The biggest gain in notebooks has been resolution.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 AM

Ok, I turned the brightness of my laptop display down to try to be closer to the paper I will use to print on. I did the more advanced display calibration on the MacBook Pro, although it is very abstruse as to what one is supposed to do.

I am a bit confused about the part about starting with the stock profile, which is kind of similar to an sRGB gamma with the higher red gamma - the suggestion of kav (see above). Not sure what I am supposed to do here. Perhaps you could explain a bit more. Thanks so much again, I can tell the display is not as bright white so I believe I am on the right track. Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2013, 01:26 AM

I didn't say to use the calibration assistant program in OSX. I said it's horrible and you should use the default colorlcd profile instead unless you wish to use a colorimeter. You can test it both ways, but I've never found those gamma sliders to be a good idea. I never suggested raising the red gamma. I said that the default display profile uses a higher red gamma. I also said to make a test print to compare and that your viewing environment needs to be as consistent as possible. What I suggested is not a perfect solution or an exact science. It's just about as good as you will get based on what you have.

If you wanted a full explanation of printers, displays, and color management, it would go on for pages. I'd have to type it out in Word and organize it into something digestible. I am not going to do that. There are other people who can explain it better. The problem is that these threads often provide threads of information that lack context for the reader. If you're really interested, there are published articles to be found around the web. For now start with what I told you. Print out something really small so you don't waste a lot of ink and paper.

Also remember to give your display 30 minutes to warm up prior to trusting it. It's not that it becomes somehow more accurate after that time. The point is for it to be warmed up to a point of consistency over the duration of that session.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 PM

Ok, sorry I didn't understand well before, now I have a better understanding, although I am still very much an amateur.
I worked a bit more on my image. Somehow between that, turning down the brightness of my display, and not printing out the image as small as I had been, things are quite a bit improved, at least as far as the printout and darkness.
Many questions are lingering in my mind, since I want to more fully understand things as that will help in the future. One thing is that Photoshop warns me "Remember to disable the printer's color management in the print settings dialog box" - because I had "Photoshop Manages Colors" chosen. However, I cannot see anyway to disable things in the print settings dialog box. So, it is possible that the printer is overriding something.
Another point is that there is a check box for "Send 16 bit data". Since my image is 16 bit (rather than 8), perhaps I should be checking this check box.
Thanks again to everyone who has sent suggestions. I don't know if I will ever reach my goal for this image, but I certainly am learning a lot. Ruth
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCraig View Post
Perhaps I can ask another question, will start a new
So, my question is, is there anything I can do to make a better print out. Thanks for any suggestions that anyone might have.
Ruth
Yes.

Add a curves adjustment layer lowing the contrast (even if the image don't look so well on screen).
Most printers add a little contrast so "What you see is NOT what you get".

(Hope you understand my poor english)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help