RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Keyboard Issue with CS6

Old 02-03-2013, 06:18 AM

Keyboard Issue with CS6

I've only recently upgraded to CS6, and I'm having a problem that I can't understand or solve. Annoyingly, it isn't happening all the time. When I hit a key (for example the spacebar, to access the Hand Tool) or when I double click a layer to rename it and try to start typing, I get an alert sound when I hit the keyboard.. In the case of typing a new name for a layer, I need to go back into the text entry field box in the layer and click to activate it before I can rename the layer. This wasn't the case in previous versions, where a simple double-click allowed immediate renaming. In the case of the spacebar, when I tap initially I get an alert sound, but if I just tap again and carry on it works ok. But every time I return to using it I get the same behaviour. I know from PS5 that occasionally a tap of the space bar mysteriously used to reset this type of PS/keyboard communication problem, but is isn't working with the Layer Renaming problem.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 AM

Re: Keyboard Issue with CS6

I am a CS6 user and have not experienced that issue, however, you might take a look at edit>preferences and see if something needs to be disabled.
Joe
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 AM
Patron

Never seen the problem myself using a PC with PS but guessing that this may not be a particular issue relating to Adobe but rather something else in your system causing causing conflicts with the Adobe products.

If you are a Mac user I am vaguely aware of issues reported by Mac OSX users with CS5 and CS6 such as keyboard malfunctions when running Firefox at the same time. It seems that there can be issues with other software conflicting with CS over the keyboard.

Perhaps worthwhile testing CS with all other applications closed and any specific keyboard shortcuts via other applications turned off and see if the problem persists?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:23 AM

Hi Tony,
I'm using a MacBook Pro. I've eliminated the issues you mentioned. I contacted Adobe Online Help and was taken on a long and fascinating journey round the outskirts of diagnostics. Eventually the guy told me the fault was caused by third party plugins, which I quickly established it wasn't.
I've been running PS6 with the 'Use Graphics Processor' option unchecked today, and so far the problem hasn't occurred. I'll update you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 PM

The problem persists with the "Use Graphics processor' option unchecked. I'm now trying it with the option checked, but in Basic drawing mode. I'll update tomorrow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Patron

Afraid I do not have a clue about the inner workings of Mac OS but still suspect there are some conflicts as I understand that OSX spotlight shares some keyboard shortcuts with CS?

By the sound of things pressing the spacebar for instance appears to be moving focus away from your intended field hence the warning beep - this could be caused by keyboard mapping conflicts with your OS and the Adobe applications.

TBH I do not know and therefore I suggest looking at these threads and trying a little test. It is quite possible that I am leading you in the wrong direction but this submitted in the hope that it may be of some helpL

Quick test

1) open a text layer for editing
2) hit cmd+spacebar
3) OSX spotlight will open; just click back into the Photoshop window where your text box is open for editing.
If this works it does suggest that OSX spotlight is taking control of focus when you are using PS

Have a look at these threads - there may be something of interest?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/752602
http://forums.adobe.com/message/3285062
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 01:37 PM

Thanks Tony. I'll check those out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 AM

Predictably, my experiment with Basic Drawing Mode didn't work. But GOOD NEWS - I tried your Spotlight test, Tony, and got the behaviour you predicted. I then turned off the two keyboard shortcuts at the bottom of the Spotlight prefs box, restarted, and it stopped happening.
I started back with Photoshop and the problem still persists. What now?

Last edited by AKMac; 02-08-2013 at 05:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Patron

Not sure what to suggest next (always a risk of wasting your time!) but perhaps the first thing I should have suggested is to reset your PS preferences to see if this changes anything:

On a Mac hold down CMD-SHIFT-OPTION immediately after you double-click the PS icon. You should get a message asking if you wish delete preferences click yes or ok. Now try to repeat the errors

If that does not help you may want to check the keyboard shortcut commands for both Spotlight and CS6 to see if there are any shortcuts that could conflict:
Mac keyboard shortcuts
http://www.danrodney.com/mac/

Photoshop keyboard shortcuts
http://www.nobledesktop.com/shortcuts/photoshopcs6/mac/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 AM

Thanks for your patience/perseverence, Tony. Okay. I'm right back to square One. I've not migrated presets from PS5. I've not set up a custom workspace. It's all straight out of the box. I'll run with this for as long as I can bear, to make sure the problem isn't there. Then I can keep tabs of things as I modify them.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help