Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Workflow improvements - linked smart objects

Old 05-17-2017, 11:48 PM

Re: Workflow improvements - linked smart objects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spittle View Post
The only reason for not rendering full res (5000px longest dimension) off the bat is the time is takes for rendering - even when utilizing multiple computers.

So until the client has signed off the final version - it will be submitted half res (or 1/4 depending on how you look at it)
Rendering just the alphas should not take that long. If you resize the comp to full res, you should be able to select and paste in the high res masks into the smart objects where needed and replace the low res versions if the image ratio is the same (height x width).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoku View Post
Rendering just the alphas should not take that long. If you resize the comp to full res, you should be able to select and paste in the high res masks into the smart objects where needed and replace the low res versions if the image ratio is the same (height x width).
Everything is rendered at the same time, including the RGB multimatte elements.

Even without passes the scenes can take a long time to render.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Everything is rendered at the same time, including the RGB multimatte elements.

Even without passes the scenes can take a long time to render.
I'm not familiar with your render engine. In Lightwave you can set the renderer to just save the alphas, and they render very quickly by themselves.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (13.1 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2017, 12:33 AM

I figured best for me to upload some screen grabs, it gets a bit wordy trying to explain.

I'm rendering a multichannel vrimg file which I convert to a multichannel exr which when opened in PS looks like the first attachment. In this example, I've not done any 32 bit post. I have simply resized everything to my final output size and then ran a script to output each layer to a separate 16bit tiff.

Not the best example but the second attachment is a very simple 16bit comp - I've left one of the groups open (Tiles) where I've used a reflection pass. I still would always do a lot of adjustments in post even for a small interior.

The groups in green are all adjustments that I want to make in 2D using masks that are generated during the rendering process. You can see these mattes stored at the top of the comp. The elements that I have at my disposal so far are also stored at the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32bit.jpg (87.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg comp.jpg (92.0 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2017, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Skoobey - that is what I am currently doing

@ Klev - I agree it's a bit of a hack but up until now I've not found a better way that meets my needs. I could migrate to a nodal package but haven't done so yet. PS is working so far.

That's about what I figured. Nodal packages are designed for this kind of thing, but you're doing a lot of paint work. If I had to do this kind of thing day in and day out, I have an idea how I would go about it. I hate file format changes, and I really hate some of Adobe's low level APIs. I would probably end up outputting one file per pass according to some naming convention, script input, and script output after tone mapping and anything that specifically requires 32 bpc under a different name. This way I wouldn't have to deal with these ghastly file constructs.

Adobe tries to maintain legacy support, but some adjustment layers have received updated algorithms, and some of the really old psd files will either open flattened or with non-background layers discarded. Because of that, I tend to prefer simple formats for archival purposes.

Overall though, I personally hoped for better 32bpc tools by now. There are a lot of painting options that work more intuitively there, and this isn't exactly new technology.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2017, 03:24 AM

Currently I have a script to export, and I can use a previous PS document as a template which loads them in as the naming of most of the linked layers is consistent.

And whilst it is a bit convoluted the only real issue I have is with the scaling, actually it's not really an issue as I upascale everything to rull res but it would be ideal to be able to have the luxury of working half res when the opportunity is there.

Rather than always working at 5k lets I work at 2.5k for the first x number draft versions of the comp - my linked layers are also 2.5k and are loaded in and updated automatically whenever I do another render and export the elements.

Next revision for whatever reason I decide to upscale the comp to 5k. My issue is that my linked smart objects are now twice the scale so when I render full res, they are loaded in at double the width.

For a simple comp it's easy (Before linked layers I was updating everything manually).

But as soon as I'm using the linked smart objects as clipping masks, different blending modes, opacities, it's easy to make a mistake.

Any ideas if this would need to be scripted?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help