Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Lighter colours in JPEG after saving

Old 10-08-2002, 04:37 PM
Question Lighter colours in JPEG after saving

Its driving me nuts! Since reformatting and reinstalling photoshop I have had a peculiar problem. In photoshop my colours are deep and vibrant, whenever I save to JPEG it alters the colours (more correctly the gamma) to a lighter version.

I presume this has to do with colour management, I have changed the working profiles and fiddled with numerous other settings, but as yet have not found a solution.

heres how my colour space is defined at moment, any help greatly appreciated, also it looks the same when saving it, and when I reopen file in PS, only in browser does it increase the gamma - this is why I suspect the colour management settings.
Attached Images
File Type: gif colour-space.gif (17.3 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2002, 09:37 AM
I've noticed the same problem - - I thought it was just me and my ignorance. Your post motivated me to look into it and based on what I've read on Adobe's site, the problem isn't really a problem so much as "the nature of the beast".

When editing images in Photoshop using color management, you (of course) are viewing color-managed pixels. When viewing images in a browser, there is no color-management, thus a color shift is perceived. Similarly, the "Save for Web" interface does not use color-management because .gif and .jpg images do not store color-management information - - thus the what-you-see-is-not-what-you-save color difference.

I don't see that there's an easy resolution short of not using color management. If that's not a viable solution, here's a good tutorial on all the nuts and bolts of color management:
Attached Files
File Type: zip ps color (17.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by VisualEyes; 10-09-2002 at 09:43 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2002, 11:53 AM
I suspect your very last checkbox in the advanced settings (blend rgb). Here's mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg settings.jpg (37.3 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2002, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the headsup VisualEyes and Doug, I will be sure to uncheck my box and failing that delve into the swathes of info on colour management.

Will let you know if I cure or discover something of help. Thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help