Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Adding Custom Keyboard Shortcuts

Old 01-22-2003, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeaniesa
When I searched the User-to-User Adobe forums, there was a discussion in late July 2002 of a bunch of people requesting that Adobe implement custom keyboard shortcuts (and an Adobe person indicating that they were concerned about the negative impact on tech support) - which seems to indicate that custom keyboard shortcuts do not exist in Photoshop.
It would "seem" to imply that, but if you know how the corporate world operates and how inept most folks are at the jobs they are assigned to then it's no surprise. Most folks learn just enough to get by on their jobs, unfortunately. We've all encountered company reps who know little about the product or service they are supposed to be helping you with. The fact that this person gave a song and dance about "negative impact" etc. indicates not only that he/she was ill-informed but also was used to offering BS instead of useful answers. Some folks just enjoy playing the role of experts without having the knowledge to back it up...amazing how far some folks get on BS alone...look at our congress for example.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 06:08 PM

Phyllis and Raven;

"Joke mode on"

Are you guys the Anti Shirley Mcclaine sisters? Have you come to us from the future? Oh please, please tell us. I will be your trusted servent. How is the stock market? (numbers please) Is the world a better place? Are humans finally living as people and not animals? (always fighting) Is health care universal yet? Is there one computer system as good as the one in Startrek. Is Bill gates old and wearing diapers or still dollar bills?

"Joke mode off"

Keep searching you will find the answers. And please let us know. Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Lacto;
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2003, 12:57 AM

LOL! Lacto that is hysterical! Thanks...needed a laugh!

Today I called Ben Willmore and talked to his partner, Regina, as he was on the road. She was very nice and said she too was now curious. She asked for my phone number and said she'd ask him about it when she talks to him...in a day or two I guess...and will let me know what he says. How very nice of her to bother with a question from a stranger! Makes me even gladder that I paid big bucks for his (excellent) book! It's always refreshing to find that folks truly want to help others and aren't just in their jobs for a buck. Made my day! Now I just hope Ben knows the answer.

This is so spooky that I am beginning to think the answer may turn out to be "42."

One more possibility...

I've thought and thought and thought and still seem to recall that I just had to highlight the menu item then type the keys I wanted for the command, all at once, while it was highlighted, then the symbols would magically appear after the name. But obviously this not working for me now. On the remote chance that it's my new installation that's flawed and not my memory,how about if you guys all try doing this and see if it works for anyone here.

Can't hurt to try... unless...

***WARNING*** Just in case this DOES work when you do it, there is no way that I know of to get rid of the command symbols after you put them there. I was able to CHANGE them (as often as I liked) but not to remove them completely. Doesn't mean there is no way to do it, just that I didn't know how. And if you type keystrokes that were previously assigned to a different command, they will disappear from that menu and be assigned to your new one unless you put them back. So pick a command that you are sure you would want to make a shortcut for, and check other menu lists for the keys you select, just in case it should miraculously work!

Phyllis

Last edited by pstewart; 01-23-2003 at 01:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2003, 01:10 AM

I'm certainly curious too! So, I tried your suggestion Phyllis, and I could NOT get it to work. (I'm running PS7.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2003, 03:08 AM

Thanks, Jeanie. That tells me that there was indeed a step I am forgetting, Now at least I know I don't have to blame my newly installed PS7 or my OS. Just my old broken down forgetful brain.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2003, 07:55 AM

Hi Phyllis,

Not sure about how to create shortcuts, but you might want to try this link.

http://user.fundy.net/morris/downloa...op7HotKeys.pdf

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2003, 11:41 AM

Lacto.. that is hilarious. HOWEVER, seriously, I am now beginning to doubt myself and feel rather foolish. Did I dream this? Quite possible.

Actually, I think maybe Larry has nailed it. I was thinking of that vast list of shortcuts earlier and it looks as though just about every imaginable function I would ever want a shortcut for is listed there. Most of us only learn a few.. the ones we use the most, but I do recall way back (does anyone still trust my memory) having taken the time to learn many more of these.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2003, 02:55 PM

Larry, thanks for the hotkeys list...will come in handy I'm sure!

Raven, don't you dare start doubting yourself...that's exactly what the evil faeries want us to do. We must be strong and not let them defeat us!

You are not dreaming, nor am I. I had made keyboard shortcuts for transform>flip horizontal (command-shift-H) and for adjustment>equalize (command-E) and about ten others that I use a lot. There is no doubt this is possible, not to mention easy to do...just hard to recall. Darn faeries and their magic mind dust! Grrr....

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2003, 03:06 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Gotta hand it to ya Phyllis. This is a RP record, for sure. Mine is the 18th reply, and still no answer.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2003, 07:13 PM

Hi Phyllis, Hi Raven,

Checked around with some folks who are pretty much up on PS, and the concensus is that they don't think it can be done. But, here's a couple of other links that could help do what you want:

http://www.mjmsoft.com/
http://www.iolo.com/

Larry
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help