RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Adding Custom Keyboard Shortcuts

Old 01-23-2003, 07:20 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I did a Google search for custom shortcuts. After checking out 40 pages of threads (not each post), I found quite a bit on custom shortcuts, but not for Photoshop. You gals didn't go to a party the rest of us weren't invited to, did you?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2003, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed_L
You gals didn't go to a party the rest of us weren't invited to, did you?

Ed
I think it's called the "Fairy Tricks Party for people 50+"

Some sort of cruel initiation rite.

I was sure I had set up shortcuts! In fact, I had set it up so that when I clicked on any item, PS would automatically jump to that layer... without having to hold down the ctrl (command) key. I don't remember how I did that, but it used to work all the time once I set it up. Since I reinstalled PS, it went back to the default.

I am not crazy. I am not crazy. I am not crazy. I am not crazy. I am not crazy. I am not crazy. I am not crazy. I am not crazy. I am not crazy. I am not crazy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2003, 12:17 AM

I agree. There's nothing wrong with you wrong with you wrong with you.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2003, 02:27 AM

Bits of philosophy and psychology...

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry
Hi Phyllis, Hi Raven,

Checked around with some folks who are pretty much up on PS, and the concensus is that they don't think it can be done.
LOL! I have done it, and self-proclaimed experts come back with they "don't think" it can be done. Hard to know how to respond to such "helpful" remarks! I guess some folks just feel they have to say SOMETHING when asked a question. Ain't human nature grand!

And for some mysterious reason a lot of folks seem to think that if there's a "consensus" that miraculously makes a mistaken view of reality more true. The good news? From global politics to Photoshop questions, human nature at least remains predictable in its folly.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2003, 03:16 AM
Janitor

I can't help you with the shortcuts (although there's a Mac app called QuicKeys that will do it), but if you have the move tool chosen in PS7 there's an option at the top called "Auto Select Layer" so it will jump to the layer without holding another key down.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2003, 11:02 AM

thanks Doug, I did find how to autoselect layers.. there it was right in front of me. I had learned a different method in PS6 for it and was trying to remember that way, but now I see it is different in PS7.

Phyllis.. I'm with you about general consensus seeming to make something absolutely true. We know it aint necessarily so!

(Politics too. (but don't even get me started)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2003, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Nelson
I can't help you with the shortcuts (although there's a Mac app called QuicKeys that will do it)
Funny you should mention that. In a desperate move, I downloaded Quickeys just yesterday. I don't see anything in the menus which would allow it to make keyboard commands for a specific application, but the web site claims it can do so. Guess I'll have to plow through the PDF manual...sigh. Unless you can tell me where to look, or even how to do this?

I know the method I used last year didn't involve Quickeys, since I didn't have it on my machine then. At this point I am willing to learn a new way to do what I can no longer do the old, easy way, but this mystery is gonna keep me awake nights anyway till I get the info again. Sigh.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2003, 05:46 PM

Good news! (and bad news)

I've got my keys back! All I have to do is highlight the menu item and hit the keys I want to assign to that command and presto, the symbols appear in the menu and the keystrokes will work from then on. This is thanks to my hubby, who is the guy who wiped my hard drive last week and forced me to reinstall all my programs, one at a time. But I only installed the programs that I used/wanted/had previously installed myself. I didn't know about the stuff he had installed for me in the past, such as "Action Menus" for the Mac. It is THIS little program which makes the addition of key commands possible for any program on your machine. No wonder my method failed! It wasn't that I was forgetting something, but that I was working on a computer that lacked Action Menus.

So there you have it. It's not a PS thing at all, but a separate program that allows assign key commands to menus. So that is bad news for non-Mac users, I suppose. However, he tells me that similar software exists for PC's. Soooo...I strongly suggest that you go webbing right now and find such a program and install it. Having my keyboard shortcuts back is soooooo wonderful! And you can have them too, once you install a 3rd party package, that is. They are cheap, though, and well worth the cost regardless. Sure a big timesaver!!!

Sorry for all the confusion. But now we all know something useful, so I guess it was worth it. And, I just noticed another thread here from 9/02 which dealt with EXACTLY the same question...LOL! I had even replied to it and said how easy it was to assign keys...LOL! Of course, back then I had Action Menus on my computer, though I didn't know that.

Your computer illiterate buddy,
Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2003, 06:03 PM

So it only works on a Mac? Thanks for passing the info on, even if I can't use it.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2003, 06:20 PM

The rest of the story...

Ed, only this particular program works on Mac, but there ARE similar ones for PC's. Bet someone here can find a bunch to pick from!

One more thing, even though my problem is now solved and I can sleep again, I still wonder where I read this info to begin with. I had assumed it was in a PS book or web tute since that is ALL I read concerning computers...hehe. But now that I have Action Menus installed again, I see that it shows you a little window of "tips" whenever you restart. And I'm a sucker for tips, so I must have read it there one day last summer after a power outage or something...didn't even realize I was reading it. Sneaky little "tips" windows.

Happy again...la de da de da la la laaaaa...

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help