RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Adding Custom Keyboard Shortcuts

Old 01-25-2003, 07:16 PM

Phyllis - so it seems that all those self confessed experts were correct and that they were truly tyring to be helpful and that in this case a concensus viewpoint was correct over a single faded memory. <g>

Glad you are up and running.

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen M
Phyllis - so it seems that all those self confessed experts were correct and that they were truly tyring to be helpful and that in this case a concensus viewpoint was correct over a single faded memory. <g>
Readily acknowledged that my tired old brain suffers from lack of memory ability, and never doubted these experts were trying to be helpful...most folks are, even when they are offering no help. And yes, in this particular case these folks were correct, but NOT because there was a "consensus." My point remains unaffected by the outcome. Or have you been living in a different society than I have been? If so, I wanna move to where YOU live!

Phyllis <--cynical old lady, but a cynical old lady with keyboard commands galore!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 05:42 AM

No a majority view does not make something right - but I have found that it is often a simple answer that is correct, rather than a complex one - or perhaps that the majority viewpoint was correct in this case. With so many saying 'it's not possible' and one saying it is - then there must be something going on. When this is the case there is often great room for learning - either one way or the other.

Little did we know that your system had a third party utility installed without your knowledge. The majority view may have made this apparent earlier, I can also appreciate that you _knew_ you did it and that there were no third party installs to your knowledge.

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 08:38 AM

I've had days like that.....

I was intrigued by your problem and didn't read the whole topc before I got curious and went searching.

I was sure I had heard about this keyboard shortcut thing on this forum some time ago, so I did a search for the words "function key" and here's what I found:

Originally posted 08/22/2002
Quote:
I needed help with a problem I had tonight, which I have since figured out how to fix. In case you ever hit a keyboard combination by mistake that changes a set keyboard command to a different function, here is how you fix the problem:

Highlight the function you want in the menu while you hold down command/control and click. Voila! You add/change a keyboard shortcut!

Discovered by trial and error with much mumbling of not-so-nice words since my PS7 manual was no help (if it was in there, I couldn't find it--big book). But now I'm glad it happened since there are some functions I use a lot that have no set keyboard shortcuts, and now I can add them! Yay!

Phyllis
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...unction+key%2A

I know how you feel Phylis

margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 10:55 AM

Margaret, thank you so much! Your research has solved a mystery for me, which is how/why I ever knew how to do those commands in the first place. I had just naturally assumed I'd read it somewhere, since that's how I get all my PS info, but now I see that I stumbled upon it by accident! Wow! And I even posted about it! The source of this knowledge has been bugging the heck out of me for all these weeks, and you have put what's left of my mind to rest...thanks a million!

Now perhaps you guys can appreciate the severity of my memory problem... I wasn't kidding when I said my mind is very old and tired. I'm the sort who will write notes to myself then forget to read them, so there's really no way around it I'm afraid.

Well, something useful has come out of this in the end. You now all know how to set keyboard commands for PS and other programs as well...simply install software that will do it! If Action Menus exists for Mac, surely there are equivalents for PC's, since PC's usually have a huge advantage over Macs in the plethora of software add-ons available. Actually, I'm surprised no one has found one and posted it by now.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 11:43 AM

Phyllis, Have you thought about calling back Regina (Ben Willmore's assistant) and telling her you figured out the mystery?
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeaniesa
Phyllis, Have you thought about calling back Regina (Ben Willmore's assistant) and telling her you figured out the mystery?
Jeanie
Absolutely. Will do that Monday morning. Maybe Ben can spread the word at his seminars since evidently folks have been asking for this very thing. If Adobe won't do it, so what? Programs exist to make it possible, and that's really all that matters to someone who wants keyboard shortcuts.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help