RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Adding Custom Keyboard Shortcuts

Old 01-21-2003, 01:03 PM

Adding Custom Keyboard Shortcuts

I hope someone here can help me. I had to reinstall PS7 and in the process lost all my custom keyboard commands. Problem is, I made them quite a while ago and have FORGOTTEN HOW I did it! I looked through both my PS books and can't find where I learned to do this. It's a simple process, as I recall...you just hold down certain keys (?) while highlighting the menu item you want to make a keyboard command for, and it magically appears there and remains till you change it.

Please tell me if you know the procedure to do this. I am lost without my shortcuts!

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2003, 01:20 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Phyllis,

Could be that I don't know the easy way, but i've just been making an action, and giving it a shortcut key. Is there another way?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed_L
Hi Phyllis,

Could be that I don't know the easy way, but i've just been making an action, and giving it a shortcut key. Is there another way?

Ed
Yes, indeed there is. Just a combination of keystrokes you hit while highlighting the menu item, and presto! Easy as pie. But there is a step or a key I am forgetting to set the keystrokes to the command in the first place.

And...the keyboard shortcuts I am talking about do not use the F-keys, but combinations of command/control + shift + (letter), just like those which appear by many menu items already. For example, the transform command is in the menu and has command/control + T beside it, so you don't need to pull down the menu...just type those keys instead. Yes, you can add your own letters like this to other menu items as well! Extremely useful, especially for commands hidden in submenus, such as "flip horizontal" under the transform menu.

Sigh...I had lots of these I depended on and now I hit those keys out of habit and... sniff... nothing happens!

Gosh I hope someone knows this. It must have been in my Photoshop Studio Techniques book, since that's the book I read just before I set them all up last year. But it's a big book, and how to make the shortcuts isn't listed in its index.

Phyllis

Last edited by pstewart; 01-22-2003 at 03:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 06:17 AM

Phillis;

When you relearn how let us in on the tip.

Cya;
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 09:44 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Yeah, I'm sure everyone would be interested in that. I know you can make shortcuts to use instead of icons with Windows. I now hit ctrl/alt/tilde to launch Photoshop.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 11:20 AM

Phyllis, if you're lost without your shortcut keys, then I don't doubt that you did this somehow. Being curious, I just spent some time searching through the Adobe support site.

When I searched the User-to-User Adobe forums, there was a discussion in late July 2002 of a bunch of people requesting that Adobe implement custom keyboard shortcuts (and an Adobe person indicating that they were concerned about the negative impact on tech support) - which seems to indicate that custom keyboard shortcuts do not exist in Photoshop.

Also, I took Ben Willmore's class last summer and he is big into the shortcuts and gives special "tips" after each break. I just searched my notes and did not find any mention of customizable shortcut keys. (In fact, he has an article on "what Adobe was thinking when they came up with the shortcuts.")

That being said, I'm certainly not an expert in Photoshop and it's possible this feature exists and I just can't find any info on it!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 01:35 PM

As far as I've heard, using actions for creating shortcuts is the only way I've heard of.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed_L
I now hit ctrl/alt/tilde to launch Photoshop.

Ed
I really liked this feature the minute I figured it out. I have quite a few by now, I just use ctrl+alt and the first letter of the program name (i.e. ctrl+alt+P for photoshop) and it works really well.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 02:25 PM

Curiouser and curiouser... I feel like I'm in a bad dream here. I know I did this. I know I read how to do it somewhere last summer. I am shocked to find that no one else ever stumbled on this info, and even more so to learn that Photoshop reps are denying it exists and even questioning whether it should!

Only thing I can think of at this point is it could be a Mac thing. Perhaps the feature isn't from Photoshop but from my Mac OS. However, being the dedicated computer illiterate that I am, I never read anything along those lines...so... where could I have learned such a thing?

Sigh, if I could just recall where I read this in the first place...guess it wasn't Willmore's book after all... but then where? Who? How? Are there Photoshop faeries? Are they playing a joke on me?

I CANNOT BE THE ONLY HUMAN ON THE PLANET WHO HAS USED THIS METHOD! WHERE ARE ALL YOU OTHER VICTIMS OF THESE EVIL FAERIES?!

Oops...sorry...the frustration of being keyless finally got to me.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 04:17 PM

Hi Phyllis,
You are NOT the only one on the planet.. actually, just a couple days before you started this thread I was looking into the EXACT same thing. I could have SWORN I had learned how to create custom keyboard shortcuts for PS. Then I looked in books and help files.. nothing! I was stunned to see no info anywhere on it.

I have been following this thread thinking "yes! I'm not crazy after all." hoping I would finally read the answer from someone.

I even wrote a reply earlier but deleted because I felt so dumb :P
I was suggesting that it is probably an operating system thing... but I am using a pc and I did do this .. I do know you can create hotkey shortcuts from Windows OS or Macs, but like you I was sure this was in Photoshop.
Alas I am just babbling and wish I had the answer. I'm beginning to wonder if I was not Photoshopping in my dreams in a parallel universe.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 04:26 PM

Raven, thank you for writing. Just in time...I was able to cancel my check-in at the looney bin just before they dispatched the little white truck.

Nice to know I'm not insane, but will be much nicer to know again how to make these shortcuts. Since others here now know it's possible (not to mention really easy once you know how) surely they will all join the search and we'll find the answer.

Meanwhile, I've been trying all sorts of things in the hope that the info buried in my brain will pop out of hiding, but have had no luck. Sigh.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help