RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Question for MAC users of PShop 7.0

Old 02-01-2003, 09:21 PM

Question for MAC users of PShop 7.0

I'm taking a community college class where I use a MAC loaded with Photoshop v7. I've run across a difference between my PC version and the MAC version (at least the MAC version at my class) -- the blending modes for layers doesn't show up in the Layers palette. The lock icons are on the layer palette, but there's no box above it to show the layer blend modes.

How do I access the layer blend modes? (I asked the instructor, but he's new and suggested I look in the Channels palette ), the book didn't show a close-up of the layer palette, and on the internet -- I've found layer palettes that look like the ones on my PC, but they say that they're from the MAC version. If the layer blends are supposed to be in the same place as on the PC, then what do I have to do to make that happen? I double-checked to make sure it was version 7 on my machine.

Did this machine figure out that I've abandoned the little IMac in my back room, and is getting revenge?!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2003, 10:32 PM

CJ - it sounds like one of two things, and since I get the feeling that you are not exactly a newbie - it is probably the second point:

* This is a layer and not a flat background layer is it not? <g>

* Corrupt pref file

Last year I taught a Photoshop class, and the very first thing I made them do at the start of every lesson was to trash the pref file to restore Photoshop to the 'factory' state before they started work. This was for two reasons - so that palettes and settings would match those found in the tutorials and so they would not inherit problems from previous users in earlier classes.

Sadly, they never remembered the steps and always lost the handout instrucions that I produced - so a ten second task often took up 15 minutes by the time I went around the 12 students. <g>

So if this is a corrupt pref like I suspect -

To restore all preferences to their default settings:

Do one of the following:

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) ***immediately*** after launching Photoshop or ImageReady. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

In Mac OS, open the Preferences folder in the System Folder (Mac OS 9.x) or Library folder (Mac OS X), and drag the Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings folder to the Trash.

New Preferences files will be created the next time you start Photoshop or ImageReady.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2003, 10:38 PM

Stephen --- a BIG Thank You !!

I will do that before anything else when I get to class.

Quote:
Sadly, they never remembered the steps and always lost the handout instructions that I produced - so a ten second task often took up 15 minutes by the time I went around the 12 students. <g> -- Stephen
After being in this class just two sessions, I can well imagine what you went through. People straggle in during the first half-hour, only a few have purchased the required text, and one guy flits from girl to girl talking, and then tells the instructor that "the clone stamp" doesn't work -- when he has no image file open, and was just supposed to be learning where the tools were on the toolbar. The instructor is quite young, and is showing a great deal of patience.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 02-01-2003 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 01:05 AM

Talking Re: Question for MAC users of PShop 7.0

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ Swartz
Did this machine figure out that I've abandoned the little IMac in my back room, and is getting revenge?!
Most likely!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2003, 11:56 AM

BK, -- I was afraid of that!

BK, are you a MAC user? I'm going to trash the PS preferences at my next class, but I'm still open to more info about the Layers palette on the MAC -- it does normally contain the menu box with the layer blending choices, doesn't it? (This machine didn't even have the box, let alone the blending choices.)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help