RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

When a .jpg ISN'T a .jpg

Old 02-16-2003, 08:03 AM

When a .jpg ISN'T a .jpg

The other day, I uploaded a web site containing old family pictures (.jpg). My Sis downloaded one of the pictures for some reason but then she couldn't read it on her computer - she gets a "mime" error.

I then saved the picture as .jpg (not saved for web) and .gif and emailed them to her - she can't see either one.

I have emailed her lots of pictures in the past and she's gotten them, so I found one of the old emails and resent it - she got it fine.

Does anyone have any theories about what might be happening??

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 08:20 AM

I have no idea what is causing this, but a question... The images on the web site can she see them okay before they are down loaded in her browser? If she can then it strikes me this could be a good way to protect web images! If you find out what has caused this I would be very interested.

Sorry I can't help you figure out what has caused this
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 08:22 AM

One other thing are you saving the images using the save for web function on PS or the save as - don't forget that the save as function adds data to a jpg that other programs cannot read.

Just a thought
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 10:32 AM

You might want to have her delete her cache and reboot her computer. She might only be able to view the older file because she already had a copy of it in her cache. It's worth a shot...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 12:46 PM

Margaret - Is your sister using AOL?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 12:51 PM

Greg; yes she is, AOL 8.0 - the latest one

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 01:00 PM

Well I did a google search and this is what I came up with....
Quote:
Are either one of you using AOL? I think I heard somewhere that AOL can't handle mime encoding and if you send more than one file in an email that AOL converts them to a mime file.
I am searching the web, but that's the closest to an answer I have found so far. Here are a few other tidbits I picked up on my search....
Quote:
1. Have your tried sending the photos to someone else to see if they have the same problems?

2. Next it would be good to know if your friend uses a MIME-complaint email app. Look at the encoding your software is using, it may be defaulting to mime (base64) or binhex which will also cause a problem. You're generally safest if you specify uu-encolding for graphics. Try using UUENCODE instead of the "default" binhex/64 format of MAC

3. Are you sending your pics via AOL? If so, it compresses the pics and the receiver needs Stuffit-expander (for mac or pc) to uncompress it. Your friend may need (even if you aren't using AOL) a "mime decoder" program to see the pics. Have them visit download.com or shareware.com and find a mime decoding program.

4. Check the formt your e-mailer uses for attachments. If you use BinHex, the Windows machine probably can't read it. I use Eudora. I would recommend Apple Double or UUEncode format for sending photos
~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 01:02 PM

I recall reading that AOL occasionally has problems decoding MIME... You have to manually decode the file. Do you remember the exact error she had?

You might want to try zipping the files using something like WinZip and see if she can extract and view them that way...it might help with the decoding issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 01:05 PM

From an unofficial AOL FAQ site:

Quote:
Discussion

Internet email is a text-based medium, whereas computer files are often in some kind of binary format. Thus, in order for them travel over the textual Internet, AOL's mail gateways must encode some attached file types, both when receiving and sending, using the "MIME" format. This will also happen when an Internet user sends multiple distinct attachments to AOL without compressing them into a single file.

A MIME-formatted email looks like a body full of garbled, unintelligible text. It's not that the attachments didn't arrive, as is the common complaint with regard to attachments; they just didn't arrive in a human-readable format.

A related complaint also involves embedded images (by choosing the Insert a Picture item on the email toolbar, as opposed to the Attach Files button). AOL uses a nonstandard format for embedded images into the bodies of messages generated by AOL 4.0-6.0, and will not work when sending to the Internet. This is corrected in AOL 7.0.

Solution

The sure-fire way to avoid MIME hassles is to limit attachments to one per message, and/or simply compress all attachments whether sending in or out of AOL. (When sending compressed attachments from the Internet to AOL, Base64 encoding should be used.) The AOL mail client can compress files (using Zip on the PC and StuffIt on the Mac), as can most Internet mail clients. AOL will generally not MIME-encode compressed file formats, provided they are properly encoded. Plus, you save uploading and downloading time by using compression.

If compression is not a viable choice, the MIME files will need to be saved as text files and decoded by AOL members and Internet users who are not using a fully MIME-compliant mail package. Popular MIME decoders are WinZip on Windows and StuffIt Expander on the Mac, although there are dozens of others. But to reiterate, this can be avoided by using compression.

Extensive information about MIME files and what is needed to decode them can be found at Keyword: MIME, About.com's Focus on AOL, and Iain Noble's CompuServe 2000 attachment decoding example. More information about MIME itself can be found at Yahoo!.

In the case of embedded images, AOL members sending to the Internet should either upgrade to AOL 7 or use attach instead. (The same can be said for the reverse, since AOL versions 5.0 and prior do not support HTML-embedded images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 01:08 PM

Good info T! Looks like zipping the files will indeed help solve the problem...of course the real "sure-fire" way to avoid this is to avoid AOL!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help