RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

CS "SAVE AS" PROBLEM

Old 05-27-2004, 08:44 PM

Location: Northeast Oklahoma, 30 acres of pasture, trees and child rearing space.
CS "SAVE AS" PROBLEM

I have a file consisting of 3 - 3X5 images of the same subject in different settings, which I intend to print on one sheet.
The problem: I want to crop each image and save it as a seperate file, do the restoration and then put them back together.

After cropping and saving each section as part A, B, and C, I go to open them, but the file name has become "file type". I have tried saving as JPEG and PSD, but they come up as "type A file" or "type B" etc., and will not open.
However, If I choose to use "Open Recent", they will open.
Can someone tell me what is going on here?

Greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2004, 09:43 PM

I would suspect that you are putting a . (dot) in the file name which means text after this is then being read as the file type. Put a - (dash) instead.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2004, 09:53 PM

Location: Northeast Oklahoma, 30 acres of pasture, trees and child rearing space.
CS "save as" problem

That fixed it! Is this something new in CS? I have always used . dots in my file names.
Thanks,
Greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2004, 10:19 PM

On PC's you should not use a dot except between the filename and file type, this has been so since the days of DOS. If your on a MAC then I can't say.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2004, 10:31 PM

CS "save as" problem

I'll take your word for it, since that fixed my problem. However, I went back through my photo files to check this out. I have lots of files with one or more dots in the file name, as I will "save as" revisions under different names.
This is the first time I have run into this problem and only in CS.

Thanks for the help!
Greg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2004, 01:18 AM

That is odd -- almost any Windows application that doesn't insist on the old 8.3 naming standard lets you put dots in your filenames.

And, as you said, I've just tried saving a file in PS7 as file.with.dots.in.psd and it saves and opens perfectly. So this does sound like a bug they've introduced in CS. It might be worth contacting Adobe in case this can be fixed in a later service pack/patch they may be planning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2004, 06:17 AM

I use CS also and I did a save as on a picture I called home.picture.A.jpg and then again changing it around some...home-picture.A.jpg and I didn't have any problems opening either one back up. So I'm not sure why your's wouldn't work. Had it been a while since you rebooted or had you been working in photoshop for a while with large files? Sometimes if I have been doing that on my older computer (less memory) PS will start to act up and I have to reboot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2004, 09:06 AM

CS "save as" problem

I am using an HP Desktop w/P4 and XP Home. I reboot several times a day because programs just seem to run faster and better by doing this. I have been running PS 7 for over 2 years and have never had a problem putting dots in my filenames. This problem just started after installing CS and only in CS. When I go back and use PS 7, everything works right.
However, changing the dot to a dash did fix the problem.
I would be interested in knowing if others have encountered this problem.
Thanks for all the replies.

Greg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help