RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Photoshop Keeps Craping Out

Old 06-11-2004, 04:04 PM

Unhappy

I looked into unistalling if from add remove prog., but I didnt see it listed. If there is a way I dont know it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2004, 04:06 PM

The prefs file is not in an obviously Adobe associated folder in Win2K, it's buried in the documents and settings folder associated with your Windows UserID. It does not go away when you uninstall. Check this procedure from Adobe support:

Re-create the Photoshop general preferences file:
Exit from Photoshop, rename the general preferences file (for example, to Filename.old), and then restart Photoshop. You can locate the general preferences file, Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs.psp (Photoshop 7.x), in the following location:

Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs.psp:
-- (Windows XP and 2000): Documents and Settings/[user profile]/Application Data/Adobe/Photoshop/7.0/Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings

Both times I've had trouble getting PS7 to start up, this procedure fixed it first try.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2004, 06:12 PM

Prefs seems an unlikely candidate since the problem appears to coincide with the Windows update (which probably replaced or deleted one or more files that PS needs), but it's an easy thing to try and it sure can't make things worse.

Rogue: Chip's suggested method is a good one. By renaming your existing prefs file to "something else," PS will create a new (clean) one for you assuming it comes all the way up.

If this is not the solution, you can rename your renamed file back the way it was, reinstating your previously defined preferences, eliminating the need to reenter them.

If memory serves, you will need to turn on the W2K setting to enable you to "view hidden files" (see Tools > Folder Options > View on any folder window), otherwise you will not be able to locate the .pap file to rename it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2004, 04:42 AM

I found the following tidbit at Adobe.com. The person reporting the problem had PS7 and thing went weird on her (different symptoms as yours, but she was Win 98) after the Direct X updates were installed. The guy who posted this suggestion (Dave Milbut) is pretty sharp, so it would be worth a shot.

"Direct x is microsoft's 3d routines. go to ati (www.ati.com), go to support and look for drivers. look up your driver and os and you'll get the latest. install that."

HTH...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2004, 05:09 PM

Thumbs down Got It!!!

I got it to work

went to Adobe and found that all you need to do is hold ctrl, alt & shift when starting PS and it will ask you if you want to delete the preference folder. Say yes and bam, back in biz.

Thank you all for your help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2004, 05:47 PM

Good for you, Rogue. Thx for the confirmation.

Chip: I humbly bow in your direction. Excellent call on your part.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help