RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Impressionistic filter from Frontpage

Old 06-25-2004, 01:14 PM

Question Impressionistic filter from Frontpage

I've read some of the threads on installing the impressionistic filter from Frontpage but am not getting anywhere. First of all, where is the filter in a usual Frontpage installation in Windows? Once I find it, where do I copy it to and what does it need to be named? Maybe I am really missing the boat here, but I installed Frontpage 2000 and didn't find anything that looked like a filter.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2004, 01:53 PM

What you're really looking for is image composer which was included on some versions on the front page 98 and 2000 cd's. Inside you'll find something like a shortened impressionist (impres.8bf or close). You'll need all the stuff. You can find a screen shot of the directory structure you'll need in this thread. (post 12)http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-art-resources/8328-impressionist-plugin-custom-styles-member-posted.html
Put all of it wherever you store you plug-ins/filters.

Last edited by Cheryl H; 06-25-2004 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2004, 02:34 PM

FYI... The Impressionst plugin is not a part of the Front Page 2000 that's included with Office 2000. Image Composer (of which Impressionist is a part) was packaged only with standalone versions of Front Page. It's on the second of the two CDs.

If it turns out you have Office 2000 (sorry about that), there is still hope. If you're into eBay shopping, standalone Front Page 98 auctions are going on all the time. If you're not into eBay shopping, send me an e-mail and I may be able to help you out.

Important - assuming you have the standalone CD:
If you drag and drop the Impressionist plugin file (.8bf) and its support folders/files from the CD into the plugins folder of your favorite image editor, you MUST rename two folders once the drag and drop is complete.

If you get the plugin installed and click the Style button and only Charcoal appears, the folders are not named correctly. In that case check out the Impressionist help file and locate topic Impressionist File Organization for correct folder spelling.

Good luck. It's a cool plugin.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2004, 02:51 PM

Thank you!

This is a great forum! Thank you so much for the clarification. Unfortunately, I do have the Office version of Frontpage -- no wonder I couldn't find it.

Thank you again both for your help... it saved me my last few strands of remaining hair.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2004, 04:11 PM

hmmm I had no idea that filters could be moved from Image composer to photoshop.I'll have to try doing that.I guess I need to install image composer again to do this.
I kinda liked image composer it had possibilities but never got the upgrades.
Somewhere there was a site that covered Image composer extensively and was very well done.I'll see if I can find the link for that again
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2004, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie
hmmm I had no idea that filters could be moved from Image composer to photoshop.I'll have to try doing that.I guess I need to install image composer again to do this.
I kinda liked image composer it had possibilities but never got the upgrades.
Somewhere there was a site that covered Image composer extensively and was very well done.I'll see if I can find the link for that again
If a 3rd party plugin is Photoshop compatible like Impressionist is, in most cases it can be used with Photoshop, Painter, Paint Shop Pro, etc. While Impressionist works fine user PS CS, some plugins that were compatible with previous versions of Photoshop do not work under CS.

In any event, Impressionist is CS compatible.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2005, 12:15 PM

Question Installing Impressionist Plug-in into PS CS

Can anyone tell me the proper and exact procedure for installing the Impressionist Plug-in into Photoshop CS. I've done it twice now and only get one style available - charcoal. I've read the past few previous threads but am stuck on the folder renaming part that Danny speaks about.

Thanks,

Papa Bear Ian
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearIan
Can anyone tell me the proper and exact procedure for installing the Impressionist Plug-in into Photoshop CS. I've done it twice now and only get one style available - charcoal. I've read the past few previous threads but am stuck on the folder renaming part that Danny speaks about.

Thanks,

Papa Bear Ian
Hey, PB...

I just replied to the PM you sent me. Here's another take:

1. Option A: Check out the Impressionist HELP topic

* Open the Impressionist plugin dialog, e.g., Filter > Impressionist > Impressionist
* Click the HELP button
* Search on "Impressionist File Organization"

This help topic shows the correct folder structure and folder names.

2. Option B: CherylH diagram

A few posts above is one by CherylH. In in she included a link to another thread where she appended a snapshot of the file tree. It's just another way to illustrate the correct folder names and their relationships.

This should get you moving.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2005, 12:13 PM

Smile Impressionist help

Just wanted to say "thanks" to Danny for all the help he's been. I'm very to have found this site, especially knowing I'm bound to need more help with this Impressionist plug-in. Now, if only I can get my creative juices flowing.

Papa Bear Ian
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help