Photoshop's Popularity

View Poll Results: Which Are You?
Professional User 39 34.51%
Committed Enthusiast 55 48.67%
Use Older Version 12 10.62%
Other 7 6.19%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2005, 10:01 AM

Thanks Danny...And congratulations i hear your having a new addition to the family <wink>
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2005, 10:17 AM

I'm both a committed enthusiast and a sometime retoucher and teacher, meaning, I guess, that I make a little but not enough to warrant buying CS2 when it comes out.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2005, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy~Art
Thanks Danny...And congratulations i hear your having a new addition to the family <wink>
I'm happy to report my newest addition, a Wacom tablet, won't require diapers (I might, however) nor a college education.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2005, 01:23 PM

I voted for 'other' (i.e. seldom use it) and have managed to get thus far without it. A rarity no doubt If I had no other choice but PS, then I'd use it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2005, 09:03 AM

I'm still discovering how awesome this program is, I love Painter too but for different reasons, they are great great programs that are worth the money, sure they look expensive but the depth of them and the possibilities they give you, I think they are worth the cash. I now live and breath art daily cause of these programs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 04:21 PM

I'll call myself a "pro", because I use PS everyday. As an "ad agency", it's what I do to pay the bills. I've got the CS2 upgrade, but haven't installed it yet. Waiting for a few issues with fonts in OSX Tiger to be resolved before I install and do the registration/activation thing so I'm still at CS1. There is still so much I want to learn about PhotoShop!! It is just totally awesome.

The ad below recently appeared in National Geographic Traveler Magazine, so I guess for a gal from the "swamps", I've made the big time. The ad was done completely in PS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fff_enlarged.jpg (97.7 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 08:13 PM

I think I would consider myself somewhere between the first three, as I used PS extensively while in college, here at home, and now back at the college. Of all the possible students and soon to be graduates in a computer art and design degree program, I was approached by the college marketing department (just before graduation, two weeks ago) to do some scanning and restoration work on photos and newspaper articles that will be appearing in the college's 90th anniversary, happening later this year.

At the college, I use CS2 and what limited plugins that come standard with the program. At home, I use PS7 for both the PC and Mac platforms as well as a rather large host of plugins and brushes to accomplish different tasks in graphics creation and animation.

Also, depending on what "look" I am trying to achieve, I will sometimes find myself reverting back to some older versions of other software. So, I guess you "could" say that I am a semi-professional enthusiast that uses the tools available to get the desired results.

Donald P
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Waiting for a few issues with fonts in OSX Tiger to be resolved before I install and do the registration/activation thing so I'm still at CS1.
I get my new Dual 2.3GHz PowerPC G5 with 20-inch Apple Cinema Display Hopefully this Saturday, Yeehaar. I have PSCS Academec version. I was looking to upgrade to CS2 later this year. What are the font issues? Something minor I hope.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 10:27 PM

Deadants

There are a number of discussions on the Adobe forums regarding font issues with Adobe products under Tiger and both CS1 & CS2 seem to be affected. Most who are having success are those on a single user platform using a minimal number of fonts and either FontBook or Font Agent Pro.

Apparently Apple made extensive changes to the font routines in Tiger (Adobe seems to keep tweaking font routines as well) and I think many "pros" were hoping that FontBook (Tiger's native font handling module) would be sufficient to handle their diverse font needs, but most are very disappointed and still find a need to use a third party font manager such as Extensis Suitcase, or Font Agent Pro. Font Agent Pro has been updated to work with Tiger, but Suitcase has not released a stable and reliable version for Tiger and CS2.

The biggest need for the "pros" (especially those in "bureau service" type environments) to be able to load customer fonts on the fly have auto activation of fonts and deal with active duplicates, corrupt fonts etc. Suitcase is said to handle these needs better than FAP, especially fonts delivered from a server.

I'm a Suitcase user and am waiting for the Tiger update which is "very close" according to Extensis. I did try FontBook under Tiger and it was very unstable. Fonts would show up fine in InDesign and not at all in Illustrator or PhotoShop. Or fonts might show up in Indesign and then when trying to export a print resolution PDF I'd get a dialog box saying the font(s) were not available for inclusion. (All problems were with CS1)

I think it will all work itself out in the next couple weeks, but I'm still working under OSX 10.3 Panther and have 10.4 Tiger loaded on a separate partition to "play" with it and all the neat new features.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 10:47 PM

Thanks for all the info Swampy, I wonder if the new update 10.4.1 was an improvement on the problem? Lets hope so. Anyway, roll on Saturday. I can't wait. It's just like being a kid again at Christmas time, 3 more sleeps
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Help