Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photoshop Help Tips, questions, and solutions for Adobe Photoshop users
One tip or question per thread, please

Advertise Here

Applying a Logo to an Image

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 08:44 PM

Smile Applying a Logo to an Image

I've managed to construct a rather simple, straight forward, text logo - not that difficult really - but the tutorials that I've looked at all leave me hanging with the logo on a white background. I know that this is basic, but how do I apply the logo to a photograph? It's probably extremely simple, but everything that I've read fizzles out once the logo is made, and I seem to be unable to find it in the PS User Manual or Help. Also, would one not want to have the logo on a transparent background so that it wouldn't be overpowering on the photograph?

Why don't they make a more user-friendly index and complete manual? Yes, I think I know. Adobe wants to sell its technical help services at $29.50 a pop. Thank goodness for this forum...

Cliff.
Texas Newbie - obviously
Old 03-02-2005, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Max
I've managed to construct a rather simple, straight forward, text logo - not that difficult really - but the tutorials that I've looked at all leave me hanging with the logo on a white background.
Well if you haven’t flattened your image and your logo is on it’s own layer, just place the photo on a layer below the logo layer. You can then lower the opacity of your logo if you want, add a drop shadow and so on.

As for a transparent background…keep your logo file as a .psd, as this offers the most versatility. You can resize as necessary and always add a photo layer to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logo.jpg (94.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-03-2005, 05:45 AM

Already flattened...

T,

Thanks for the comeback.

It's already flattened - flatter than a pancake. In order to move some of the lines and text around, flattening was the only way that I could figure out how to do it as I kept getting a message that the layers were "locked". How else does one work on these layers and move things around without flattening them? There's probably a way, I just don't know it.

Cliff.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:46 AM

Flattening your Layers

In general: Flattening Layers becomes necessary when you want to reduce the file size of your image or when you want to create a composite image from more than one layer. Remember to always save a PSD version of your file before you flatten an image! This way you will retain all your layers to work on if you need to make any changes.

To flatten all your layers choose Layer > Flatten Image

Note: This command merges all visible layers into the background layer. Individual layers, type, & effects will no longer be editable!

On the other hand, when you have multiple layers you don’t have to flatten them all. For instance your logo may have had many layers and when you were done designing it you probably wanted to flatten it so it was a single item. The key is not to flatten the image to the background. That way you can always place a layer below it.

You can merge layers together Layer>Merge Layers (Ctrl+E). This takes the layer you have highlighted and merges it down with the layer below it. Or you can just merge the layers that you have visible Layer>Merge Visible (Shift+Ctrl+E). To make a layer not visible just click on the eye next to the layer to close it. Click on the eye again to make it visible.

Furthermore, if you want to retain all your layers for further tweaking, but would also like one layer with everything on it (all merged together)…first make visible all the layers you want merged together and create a new layer. With the new layer highlighted, press the Alt key as you choose Merge Visible. This allows you to make a composite layer without changing the lower layers, thus enabling you to make any future changes you might wish to make.

There is a MergeVisible Action to save you the steps of creating a composite layer. Just go to the resources page under Photoshop Actions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logo2.jpg (99.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-03-2005, 08:15 AM

One of the nice things about Photoshop is there is usually more than one way to solve a given problem.

(A) You didn't mention it, but if your logo text is by chance all black, changing the layer blend mode from Normal to either Darken or Multiply will neutralize the white.

(B) In the more likely event where it's not all black or is multicolored, try this:
* Turn off all layers except the logo on white layer
* Open the Channels Palette (Window > Channels)
* While holding down the Ctrl key, click the RGB channel. This will (what's known as) "load the selection." "Marching ants" will appear around the logo, selecting the white area.)
* Back to the Layers Palette
* Select > Inverse (selects the logo instead of the white)
* Layer > New > Layer via copy. (This will create a new layer from the selected logo without the surrounding white.)

Turn off the original (with white background) layer so logo-only layer is visible. You may have to duplicate this layer 2-3 times in case there was some loss of opacity. Merge the visible layers if this is the case.

Now you've got your logo on a layer with a transparent background. You can fiddle with opacity, layer blend mode, add Layer Styles, whatever you like.

If you want to change text color, while holding down the Alt key, Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Hue Saturation. Click the "group with previous" (or "clip" if you have CS) option and then OK in the New Layer dialog.

In the Hue Saturation dialog:
* Turn on option Colorize
* Set Saturation to + 100 and experiment with the Hue and Lightness controls.

Does this help?

re: Why don't they make a more user-friendly index and complete manual? Yes, I think I know. Adobe wants to sell its technical help services at $29.50 a pop.

My opinion:
Trying to document all the things Photoshop can do would be impossible, even if they seem relatively easy. There's just no end to the possibilities, option combinations, etc.

Making a more comprehensive manual would cost them more money = less profit and we know profit is the end objective.

I don't believe they're necessarily trying to get people to use their fee-based tech services because they realize there are so many free and effective online forums like this one, including ones they offer at Adobe.com.

Some customers prefer to "talk" with live humans vs. use a venue like this for assistance, so the service Adobe offers meets the needs of folks falling into this category. Consider that not everyone is as brave as you when it comes to hanging out their dirty laundry in public (that is, admitting "I don't know how to do X. I need HELP!"), nor has the ability and/or confidence to put their situation into words as well as you did.

re:Thank goodness for this forum...
Ya got that right.

~Danny~
Old 03-17-2005, 04:32 AM

Excellent Danny I was just cogitating on applying a hand written style logo to a particular snap and you've answered all my questions in one go!

Cheers.