RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Scripting
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Scripting Learning and sharing for all platforms

"simple" frame & Action

Old 08-08-2005, 09:09 PM

Please help with this "simple" frame

Hi everyone,
A couple months ago, I was surfing around and found this simple (but nice) frame (link: http://www.pbase.com/ziggers/image/31283663).

I did try it out once and it once worked. Now, it already took me a couple hours and I can't have it figured out right :p

Could someone help (step-by-step) how to create this kind of frame ?

Thanks in advance,
Kim
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2005, 10:49 PM

1. Open your image.
2. Double-click on the background layer to change it to Layer 0 (unlocking the background layer). Rename the layer Image.
3. Image Layer: add the black stroke. Layer Style>Stroke (inside, 1px, Black)
4. Add a new layer under the Image Layer. Name it White Matt
5. Image>Canvas Size (make sure Relative is checked) and add the desired amount of white you want around your image, such as 2” Width, 2” Height. Fill layer with white.
6. Add a new layer under the White Matt Layer. Name it Black Frame
7. Image>Canvas Size (make sure Relative is checked) and add the desired amount of black you want around your image, such as .5” Width, .5” Height. Fill with black.
8. Ctrl+Select the white layer, then click on your black layer. Select delete. This will remove the center of the black layer out, creating the frame. Move this layer above the White Matt Layer.
9. Duplicate the Black Frame Layer. Name this layer Drop Shadow and place it below the Black Frame Layer. Lower the opacity to about 35%. Using Transform (Ctrl+T), shrink the frame so that it becomes the drop shadow. Apply a Guassian Blur (Filter>Blur>Guassian) to soften the shadow.

There are actions for this. Try the following:
Mike's Frame Actions. You will have to scroll down the page to find it or click on the zip file link below.

Zip Action File
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame2.jpg (98.9 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2005, 04:51 AM

Yes ... ATNCentral is a great source of Frame actions ..

I use one of Mike's (I think it was his) ... which if memory serves was called something like "Frame with matt, on white background" embedded in one of Mike's suite of actions ...

Also use another one from atncentral which will build a simple frame in the current FOREGROUND COLOUR ...

Handy when you want to quickly put up an image on a web-site with a simple black frame like ....

http://www.restoring-photos-made-eas...pril-1932.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2005, 08:44 AM

Awesome work. Greatly appreciated for your lesson, T Paul.

Didn't realize that drop shadow was applied that way. I was trying Drop Shadow in Layer Style and found it impossible to apply this shadow so it can show on all sides of the frame

1 step further (if you or someone can help):
To make it look like the image is behind the white matte, how can this be done ?

And regarding to "actions": Is it true that in making it (in this case, the frame) to work, the image has to be the same size as the one that the action was first created for ??
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2005, 09:26 AM

To get a drop shadow on all four sides using styles, one work around is to apply a drop shadow to the Black Frame layer at 120 degrees with Global unchecked (this will get two sides). Then apply an inner shadow to the White Matt Layer at -60 degrees with Global unchecked (this gets the other two).

To Make the image look like it is behind the White Matt:
Select the image (Ctrl+Select), then click on the White Matt Layer. Select delete. This will create a hole for the image. Place the White Matt Layer above the Image Layer. Using Styles, add a drop shadow or duplicate the layer and transform it like the black frame duplicate in my previous steps.

As for actions, it just depends on the action. Some require you to use the same image size, some allow you to set the size as part of the action, and some just work off your exisiting image.

Last edited by T Paul; 08-12-2005 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2005, 11:19 AM

Got it, T Paul. I'll try it later

Thank you much for your lesson & your time
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2005, 01:59 PM

Well it was a quick tutorial, so if you have questions just send me a PM or reply to this thread. Happy to help out!

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2005, 03:23 PM

Thank T. Paul

The last time when I tried using styles to create the shadow show on all 4 sides, it didn't seem to work as I expected ... and neither with the image behind the frame....

Will get back to you with more detail on what I've got when I have a chance to sit down and work on it again. Maybe it was something I missed along the way
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2005, 12:23 AM

Hi T. Paul,
After I (took some time &) carefully followed your directions + moved the layers around, I got this final image.

To me, it doesn't look that bad
How does it look to you (or to everyone who takes a minute looking at this thread) ???

Again, I'd like to thank T. Paul very much for making this frame as simple as it sounds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample.jpg (53.6 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2005, 09:35 AM

Nice results Kim!

You may also want to experiment with the size of your shadow layer. This will control the visual effect of how far the frame appears to be from the matt. Less shadow- closer to the matt; more shadow - further from the matt. You can also experiment with the opacity and amount of blur you apply to the shadow. Some like hard edges some prefer the softer more blurred look.

Also for more realism, add a bevel layer style to your frame to add dimension.

~T
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Scripting