sepia

Old 08-30-2009, 02:35 PM

sepia

i need to learn about sepia from a color image
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Patron

Re: sepia

Gracita, welcome to Retouch Pro. If you have Photoshop (any version), there is an Action under the Default Actions which are included with Photoshop, that will convert your image to Sepia. You can follow the the steps in the action to see how it is done.
FYI, there a very many ways to Sepia tone an image in Photoshop. If you do a Google search you will find dozens or hundreds of them.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2009, 03:30 PM

thanks Murray. I am a rank amateur at photoshop, but my love is photo restoration. I have CS4 and a new Toshiba Qosmio with all the bells and whistles for CS4.

I have ventured out of restoration to try to do poster work and sepia is either not working out with me or maybe it is my new Kodak all in one printer. I will keep on truckin'

We travel all the time and that is why I bought this laptop.

Last edited by gracita; 08-30-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2009, 04:34 PM

Gracita, I'll throw some extra info in here for you. I'm an old-timer so my work-flow is old like a dinosaur but it will get you where you are going. The key to making a good duo-tone (sepia or any other color) is to make sure you start with a great black and white image. I don't know what process you use but this is a quick run down on my way. Create 2 duplicate images of your original image so you now have 3 original images. On the "channels" palette make each image one of the channels, ie; Image #1 click on the red channel > Image Mode > Grayscale > Image Mode RGB. Then do the green channel the same way and then the blue. So now you have three B/W images open. Shift/drag the red on top of the blue then shift drag the green on top of those two. Now you have 1 image, 3 layers, each layer the channels they reresent. Now by adjusting the opacity of each layer you can fine tune your image to make it a perfect b/w image with a true black, a true white and a nice tonal range in between. Once it appears as you like, flatten it. Now, Image Mode, Gray Scale, > Image Mode > Duotone. Your Duotone box wil open up. Leave the black as it is but the second color picker will allow you to change your color to any you like. Experiement until you find the color that suits you most. If you are looking for a good sepia, look more in the area of the oranges and reds, not the browns but you can make it any color you want. I like making a lot of my duotones with a black/blue scheme. Once yo have decided the color you like, keep record of it so next time you want to duplicate the same tone you will just have to punch in the existing numbers you recorded. After you are happy with the duotone you created, change the image mode to your desired color space, either CMYK or RGB. I hope this helps at least a little.
Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2009, 09:57 PM

Chris, great tips on duo-tone, thanks. I'll give your method a try. I have been using gradient fills up to now, black-blue/white back-green/white etc.. The gradient method works pretty well, but not with the degree of control as your method perhaps. An image to work on as examples would be great. color-->duo-tone
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2009, 12:56 AM

Chris, not sure if you knew, but if you go to the channels palette and click on the flyout menue you'll find the option "split channels", which will open a file for each channel directly....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2009, 01:09 AM

Amica, yeah, at one time I knew that and had lost it along the way so thanks. I must admit, even though I have been doing this for so long my workflow is at best sloppy and I don't take advantage of shortucuts enough. It is to the point that I am probably faster with my clunky way then actually relearning the shortcuts. I attached an example for everyone. My sweet little neice, apple of my eye Thanks as always,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AL_01.jpg (88.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg AL_02.jpg (99.0 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlight View Post
Amica, yeah, at one time I knew that and had lost it along the way so thanks. I must admit, even though I have been doing this for so long my workflow is at best sloppy and I don't take advantage of shortucuts enough. It is to the point that I am probably faster with my clunky way then actually relearning the shortcuts. I attached an example for everyone. My sweet little neice, apple of my eye Thanks as always,
Chris
LOL, Chris that is so sweet... anyway it doesn't matter how the results are achieved, as long as they are achieved and you sure do have a workflow for that!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2009, 02:50 AM

Amica, you know what? I did not know that little split channels trick, wow. That cuts about 10 minutes off my production time, WOW! Even old dogs can learn new tricks.
Hey Palms, where the heck are you?
Swampy, you too, how are you feeling. I am sending some Reiki power in your direction. Please let us know if your feeling better.
Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 PM

The first is a local farm. The second is a blue half way between black and white. The third is a brown-red, r-175 g-105 b-54, half way between black and white. These examples use gradient maps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg willow1.jpg (183.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg willow2.jpg (193.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg willow3.jpg (194.7 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Scripting