RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Scripting
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Scripting Learning and sharing for all platforms

linking layers?

Old 12-10-2004, 04:02 AM

linking layers?

Hey
I have postet this question in alot of forums last forum was the adobe user to user forum, but still with no answer. So now i have come here in search for an answer, so please provide just the smallest hint if you doesnt know the full answer.

I want to make a really timesavig action, but i get stuck really fast. I want to make the action copy all the original layers to a new layersets. This will make it alot eaasyer to manage it all when the action has run since all the original is in one layerset and all the new layers are in new layersets.

This could be done by linking all tha layers but since there aint any shortcut key to link layers i cant find a way. i cant do it manualy since it records the names so it wount be sure to move all layers.

Hope this make sence, if not ask and ill try explain it more in depth. Im not native english so misunderstandings might ocure.

Im new to this site so i havent tjeckt out your tutrials, but please post links, coments and sugestions.
If you whant an idea of who i am take a look at my introducing in the saloon

Thanks, Lasse
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2004, 04:32 AM

Doesn't seem all that difficult (but then again, I'm at work and the script stuff is at home).
First have to discover (using ScriptListner, probably) what (sequence of) command(s) will put a layer into a layer set.

Program:
1) Find out how many layers there are in your "original";
2) Make a new layer set;
3) Loop through the add-layer-to-layer-set command for each layer in the original.

Bet I'll discover at home that it's not really so easy after all!

byRo
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2004, 04:38 AM

hey
i havent tryed ScriptListner and i dont know anything about scripting. i have only tryed to make it as an action. the problem is i would like to have the action work on a file where you dont know the number of layers. also when recording an action it records that you are moving layer called layer one for example so if i open a file with a layer called auther then it wount be move no matter how many layers i moved in the action.

i dont think this difers from vesion 6 to cs but i might be wrong. here at school its ps 6 im using but at home i have cs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2004, 07:45 AM

That's the big difference between action and scripting.
Actions are a LOT easier to produce and to use, but you don't get any flexibility. Maybe someone will come up with a way to do this in an action, but I don't know how.
A script will let you address the layers by number and not by name - which solves that problem - and also will let you add a variable quantity of layers to the layer set - which solves the other.
Once you get a script written (!) it is possible to use an action to run the script.

If nobody posts something better I'll try it tonight.

byRo
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2004, 09:36 AM

Thanksi dont know anything about scripting in ps, but i might get starting to learn it. does it requerie alot of knolede about kode and such?

Thanks for your replys.

/Lasse
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2004, 01:03 PM

You need to be comfortable with programming and a know quite a lot about Photoshop.
If you look at the threads around here, you'll see that Photoshop scripting has not YET become very popular. However it can be fun to learn.

byRo
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Scripting