RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Scripting
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photoshop Scripting Learning and sharing for all platforms

Any tuturials?

Old 12-10-2004, 02:39 PM

Any tutorials?

I'm quite interested in photoshop's scripting capabilities, as actions don't have quite the flexibility I need. I don't have any programming experience, although I have gathered from another board that VBScript is what I need to use for what I have in mind (can't move/delete files using java? correct?).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can start? Are there any good tutorials out there which could put me on the right track? I'm looking into the possibility of online courses as well, so if anyone can recommend any... Or any good books?

Thanks!

Last edited by v.bampton; 12-10-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2004, 09:07 PM

Hi Victoria:

See attachment.

The book, Adobe Scripting is the only one I've seen that addresses Photoshop scripting specifically. It has some very useful examples of Javascript code for Photoshop. For around $5 (used), it's a steal.

Over the past few minutes I was surfing at Amazon.com looking for any decent "beginning / intro to Javascript (in general)" books. So far, no luck finding anything that really impressed me. (I was looking for a couple that had received high ratings from more than just a few ratings.)

Maybe someone will jump in with a few recommendations.

~Danny~
Attached Files
File Type: zip SCRIPTING info.zip (3.4 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2004, 11:33 AM

Thanks Danny. Those links are great!

I'm still a little unclear on whether I should go for javascript or vbscript. There seems to be a lot more info around on learning javascript. My main reasons for thinking vbscript were moving files around outside of photoshop, but I'm wondering what the alternatives are. What sort of things can be done by scripting? I assume that everything you can use an action for, can also be done with scripting? And more?

When you've said that vbscript allows you to move files around outside of photoshop, what about things that can currently be done within photoshop's file browser? Can things like creating folders from within the file browser be done with javascript, or does that have to be vbscript? Is it even possible???

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get my head round it before embarking on what is likely to become a long project!

Thanks for all your help.

Victoria
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2004, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.bampton
I'm quite interested in photoshop's scripting capabilities, as actions don't have quite the flexibility I need. I don't have any programming experience, although I have gathered from another board that VBScript is what I need to use for what I have in mind (can't move/delete files using java? correct?).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can start? Are there any good tutorials out there which could put me on the right track? I'm looking into the possibility of online courses as well, so if anyone can recommend any... Or any good books?

Thanks!
re: ...I have gathered from another board that VBScript is what I need to use for what I have in mind (can't move/delete files using java? correct?)
I cannot confirm that. Dunno.

re: I assume that everything you can use an action for, can also be done with scripting? And more?
Correct. Big time.

re: Javascript benefits
The overriding benefit of a Javascript is that a given script (in theory) will work on either a Mac or a PC.

VBScript (VBS), VB for Applications (VBA)
I don't know if VBS handles file movement, but I know VBA (another flavor of Visual Basic) does and to my knowledge would work in a PS environment, but that's one on which you'll need confirmation. If VBA will work, there are a TON of learning resources available.

VB (whichever flavor) is Windows only. One of the advantages of VB is the availablity of VB specific "editor" programs that provide syntax lookup and assistance -- a real help as you build programs.

So if Macs aren't part of the picture, VB might be a better choice because you can leverage and benefit from the VB editor programs that would make programming a lot easier.

Javascript code (from that I've seen so far) is assembled pretty much by dumb text editor type programs, like Notepad. You really have to know you JS syntax.

As far as books, the Adobe Scripting one referenced in the attachment is Photoshop specific, but it starts at about third grade, skipping K-2.

If you're looking for an "into to Javascript" (in general) book, I don't have specific recommendations. I have a copy of JavaScript - The Definitive Guide 3rd Edition, but this is a reference-type book, not one that teaches programming.

There are a couple sharp scripting folks to stop this forum once in awhile, but in case they miss this thread a very good resource for the types of questions you're asking is the Scripting forum at Adobe.com... (click here).

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2004, 04:05 PM

Thanks Danny. I'll try the Adobe forums, and give you a break!

I've spent a lovely evening reading and confusing myself completely - I like this kind of task!!!! LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2004, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.bampton
Thanks Danny. I'll try the Adobe forums, and give you a break!

I've spent a lovely evening reading and confusing myself completely - I like this kind of task!!!! LOL
V...

Please don't take me wrong. I'm always glad to help whenever I can, so don't feel like you need to give me a break -- though I do appreciate the thought.

When I can't answer for sure, I try to point folks in a better direction.

You're doing the right thing... tapping into knowledge/experience of others. Good luck as you make progress.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2004, 05:18 AM

Just tagging along.....

IMHO: Java / Javascript is the way things are going now. If you're starting, I'd choose this option. Although the selling point is that it is "multi-platform", as you have observed, this is where things are happening. The things that "can't be done" with Javascript aren't the sort if stuff that a beginner will miss and in each new release the "can't be done" column is vanishing.
IMHO: Start VERY VERY simple. Open up some of the examples and tweak something. Just to paint something Blue and not Red can be a very rewarding starting point.

If you have any questions, or get stuck in a program just ask here.
We are ALL learning and anything you ask will get an answer.

byRo
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2004, 06:46 AM

Hey im also trying to get into scripting since actions aint enough for me also.

One Question: if you make a perfeckt script like the ultimate sharpning or something like that can you copyright it? i mean can you make it into a plugin or something wich you would be able to copyright?

also posting to be able to see any more answers about tuturials

Thanks, Lasse
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2004, 07:50 AM

Thanks guys.

Having spent a restless night tossing and turning and figuring stuff out (yes, yes, very sad, I know), I'd also come to the conclusion that maybe java was the place to start. Apart from anything else, I finally figured out that you can't run vbs directly from within ps (correct?). And there seems to be far more resources and ps experts using java.

So java it is, and I'm off to nick my brothers books which I've discovered he has on the subject. Thanks for all your help, and please get ready for an onslaught of questions! I promise to try to figure it out for myself first!

One question, before I bury myself in a book - one of the things I would like to accomplish (later on, obviously) is to do with naming files. At the moment I have actions set up that crop, sharpen, convert to profile, but I come to a halt at saving stage. I need them to save in a certain folder depending on size (I can manage that), but I need to change the name of the file - I need it to remove the IMG and replace it with the name of the folder the original is in (pref without the numbers), and then add the target folder name on the end. For example, I've cropped a picture to 7x10, and I'm saving it in the 7x10 folder. It's file name is IMG_2957 and it's in the Smith 94759 folder. I need to save it as Smith_2957 7x10. Is this possible, or am I overestimating the current capabilities of scripting?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2004, 08:19 AM

I've never done it but I'm sure it's possible.
Some of the Adobe documentation is on this subject, if you haven't got it, Doug has posted a link here.

byRo
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software > Photoshop Scripting