RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Product Review Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Review Discussions Threads created automatically by the reviews system. Post your actual reviews over there.

Firefox

Old 05-27-2005, 05:54 PM

Hi Dawn,

If you've lost the menu for RP, its because you haven't got java enabled.

Go to Tools/Options/Web Features and click on the Enable java box.

If you have downloaded the Javascript Block plug in, add RP to permitted sites.

To do this, click on the Script Block Icon (Circle with diagonal line through) found at the bottom right of your page. Click to enable RP. Click Options to view all sites where javascript is permitted. Note: denying permissions to sites you have already given permission to, often causes Firefox to crash. Minor problem as this is not something you're likely to do too often. Works fine otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 05-28-2005 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:01 PM

Well, since I am all for better security, I am going to stick it out and give this a good try. But even after having allowed Java and allowed Java Scripts for the site, I still do not have the pull out menu. Its opk though I just set the home page to the forums. lol Just like anythign new though it takes time to get used to. But I am trying to be patient, which is not one of my strong points - lol.

Thank for your help, and for the recommendation of this browser. THis was about the thousandth time I had heard of it and heard it recommended so I finally decided to make the leap over. TY muchly!

Dawn
Old 05-30-2005, 01:22 AM

Any changes made to Firefox only apply once you have closed it and re-opened it, can't understand otherwise, why menu won't open.

Will see if I can think of anything else.

Just been thinking, I said click on Enable Java, when what I meant was Enable Javascript.

Java is not needed for the RP menu. In any case, you'd have to first download the Java plug-in first.

So, check that the Enable Javascript is checked, its in Tools/Options/Web Features. Check OK to save.

Now exit from Firefox, then Start it up again, this will instigate the change. You should now see the RP menu.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 05-30-2005 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Added corrections to earlier advice.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:31 PM

Thumbs down

I just want to add this:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...d,48080,00.asp

Yes, there's some bugs in Firefox, but in the long run, is better to work with Firefox...
Old 06-14-2005, 08:53 AM

Thumbs down

I've been using Firefox for about six months. Prior to the switch, each time I ran spybot or ad-aware the screen filled up with issues. Since I have been using Firefox, it's usally a big green tick congratulating me that no immediate threats were found. Highly recommended

Darren
Old 06-14-2005, 09:33 PM

Yup! good .... but Housecall is missed"

I like Firefox for sure but before when I felt I wanted a good Computer wide scan for viruses I'd visit Trend Micro's "house call" for a scan I knew was current. This service wasn't available with Firefox.

I use spybot and also come back with the same results as Darren now but I Question the results for the same reason as above. Until I did an update recently to Spybot I felt secure as the program ran thru it's usual cycle but after the update the popup congradulating occurs immediately making me wonder if anything was checked.

I can say that I've had no problems since switching to FireFox but I use my restore point frequently so any problems would disappear anyhow.

For those who like to play and want a really quick machine (with tons of software installed even) then read on. ...Otherwise I just wanted to say I'm happy with FireFox.

WindowsXP and WindowsME have a restore system built in.. I have win2000. But RestoreIt Came with my Intel Motherboard. It and others are available online or in stores.

For the fast restore point I first formatted and did a clean install. Then I did whatever updates were needed as well as installed every program that I use .. or at least all that I could remember... all this without going online where a virus might get a Grip. When I had installed all that I could think of as well as set the preferences for most, I created a new "static" restore point.

Afterwards I kept a clipboard handy as I went about my business and wrote down each thing I had forgotten as it occured to me..

Once I had a list and some free time I used the restore point to bring me back to that pristine install I'd had going then went down my list, doing at once all the forgotten installs and preferences etc... Then made a new "static" restore point. I say Static as at least with my "RestoreIt" I can only have 1 Permanent restore point although many incremental ones.. I find those get erased when I Backup some of my DVDs so I really only regard the Permanent (static) as a true restore point.

The important thing is to keep going back faithfully to the restore point... otherwise some of the common sludge that slows the system burrows in.
also Defragment C: even if unneeded.

Once done, again start another list.. It may take a few to remember everything (like signing into RTP) preferences on google.. homepage and all that stuff.

But in the end you have a restore point that when returned to is as fresh as if you had sat down and done everything at once... Everything ready to use as is.. addresses in the book.. nothing to make you regret having to use the restore point.. In fact I often use it when it's not really needed... just to stay fast.

Also I need to mention I had Partitioned my hard drive allowing me to retain all my files and Photos safely on partition "D"... Some folks may have 2 hard drives... same thing..

Two things lost with the restore point is current e-mails and so far I haven't found where Firefox stores "bookMarks" ... I've gotten around this by copying my old IE favorites to a folder on "D" and creating a shortcut to my desktop.... quicker than waiting for the browser to open for access to BookMarks anyhow.

with the restore point there is no fear of viruses or caution when installing software not sure of... if something goes wrong no big deal..

I hope someone found this usefull
RonDon
Old 06-15-2005, 01:18 AM

Hi Rondon,

To enable online scanning like with Trend, its necessary to open an IE window, as Firefox doesn't support Active X applications. The easiest way to do this, is to add an extension to your Firefox browser called IE VIEW. This is found on Firefox's home site under extensions (can't remember which section at the moment).This enables you to open an IE window by right-clicking in a Firefox window, and selecting IE from the pop up list. You can also have sites always open in IE, by adding them to a list that comes with the extension.

Can't understand why you're having problems with Spybot scanning. However, version 1.4 of Spybot was only released on 31 May, and its still a bit buggy, hopefully its just that.

You can also Export Firefox bookmarks to a folder as a copy, by doing the following, Bookmarks/Manage Bookmarks/File/Export. Then browse to where you want to save them and click save. These can then be Imported after resetting to an earlier RP, by Bookmarks/Manage Bookmarks/File/Import, and checking the From File box, then browsing to folder where you saved your backup bookmarks.
(Its probably taken longer for me to write this than it does to do it.)

Link to IE VIEW extension, https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...cation=firefox

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 06-15-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:00 PM

another alternative to firefox and i.e. is mozilla. this is also a tabbed browsing browser with many of the features of firefox and i.e. i use it almost exclusively. and like firefox and other alternative browsers, you still have to maintain i.e for security updates from microsoft. i also have to use i.e. on those rare web sites where things wont show in mozilla, but like with firefox, those are few and far between.

i dont use a lot of plugins with mozilla. about the only one i have is the java console and it works fine with mozilla also.

i've also heard that microsoft recently updated i.e. and added tabbed browsing. gee, way to go microsoft

and, if anyone just must use i.e., get the program 'Hijackthis'. ad-aware and spybot search and destroy do not always handle browser attacks very well. hijackthis specializes in it and has a LOT of support. spyware, hijack-ware, and other forms of malware often attack your browser, specifically internet explorer. hijackthis is the absolute BEST remedy for getting rid of these. it will even show up some trojans and viruses. if you're having trouble with something changing your home page or redirecting you to other pages you dont want, or disabling things in your browser or just plain slowing down your browsing, get hijackthis. it's free and it's very effective. it's saved me many headaches!

Craig
Old 06-15-2005, 04:39 PM

I use spybot and also come back with the same results as Darren now but I Question the results for the same reason as above. Until I did an update recently to Spybot I felt secure as the program ran thru it's usual cycle but after the update the popup congradulating occurs immediately making me wonder if anything was checked.[QUOTE]

I was worried too, however, every so often i spend a couple of hours browsing with IE (usually when having to use it for windows update (argh!!) and - surprise surprise - ad-aware or spybot pick something up. I'm not naive enough to believe firefox is invulnerable, but think that it is many times better than (and not as oppressive as) the microsoft alternative.

Darren
Old 06-15-2005, 04:51 PM

If you go into the enterprise section of Trend Micro, Housecall runs fine.
Here's the link:
http://nl.trendmicro-europe.com/ente...all_launch.php

It states it supports Firefox, and now uses Java instead of active x.

Thol

RetouchPRO > Tools > Product Review Discussions