RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Product Review Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Review Discussions Threads created automatically by the reviews system. Post your actual reviews over there.

Firefox

Old 06-15-2005, 06:43 PM

Thanks Thol

I book marked that new link to trend micro ... I really hated the idea of running IE at all..
Old 06-16-2005, 02:01 AM

Just a word on spyware and browsers.

90% of all spyware is not on your system due to a driveby download, but is there because the user was loading free applications that come bundled with ad and spyware.

As such, no browser will protect you. It is up to you to be careful about what you load. Always read EULAs (End User License Agreements), if they're over long, or written in legalise, the chances are they're trying to foist something onto you.

Secondly, Firefox like any other browser has its vulnerabilities. Be careful when a dialogue box appears asking you to authorise an extension to help you see all available content on a page, this can be used as a means to download crud onto you. Also be careful of Java applets and javascript applications, which can work in Firefox the same way as Active X applications do in IE.

Apply a little common sense. Do you know and trust the site you're on. Do you really need to see the particular page item, or download the particular application.

Lastly, there are no majic applications for removing spyware. Ad-aware and Spybot are good tools, but even combined they only scan for about 50% of known spyware. Even the best combinations of Spyware removers (Paid for or Freeware) remove 70% of it. Hijackthis was mentioned earlier as a useful tool, and it is, in skilled hands. But in unskilled hands it can totally foul up your system, so must always be used with expert advise.

For anyone with a spyware problem that auto tools have failed to remove, and need help, try one of the following forums, where expert advice will be given.

http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://aumha.net/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 06-16-2005 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:21 AM

Java

Well I downloaded and installed the latest JAVA and housecall worked fine.. Almost sadly not a virus to be found.

but then because I've kept returning to my restore points before installing Items on the list I mention earlier the computer has barely grazed the internet.

I downloaded JAVA 1st , stored it on Partition "D" then returned my computer to the latest restore point before installing JAVA ... then made a new (not permanant) restore point to see if I run into any unwanted effects from it.

I suppose it may sound like I am tooting my own horn here but I tell myself I am really trying to make my method clear. It really is so nice to have a Fresh, usefull restore point to return to whenever I just feel the urge... even after only a couple of weeks of normal use before I "RestoreIT" there is a noticable speed up. Even shut downs happen quickly.

Now on the JAVA... anyone know the skinny on it ? seems like a few years ago I remember vunerabilities.... but that was then ... also what is missed without it? I saw quite a few blank spots where I had supposed animated advertisements resided while surfing the internet before JAVA ... will these slow down load times on my phone modem ?

I haven't noticed anyone mention " Shoot the messenger " A very small tool that permantly stops popups. Seems our friends at MS left something on that need not be.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:31 AM

Hi Rondon,

Having Java loaded should not slow you up to any marked degree, but it could potentially leave you open to certain exploits. However, without it certain Applet run applications cannot be viewed, so its a judgement call on utility versus security.

Shoot the Messenger is a utility used to shut down the Messenger Service on Windows systems (not to be confused with Microsoft Messenger the P2P programme). This is a service enabling network administrators to send messages to clients on a network. Unless you are part of a network, it is of no use to you.

Spammers found a way of using it to send pop-up messages to your PC. The service can be shut down manually by the following.

Control Panel/Performance & Maintenance/Administrative Tools/Services

Scroll down to Messenger, double click on it to open the config window.
Now set Startup Type to Disable, and Service Status to Stop. Click OK to confirm settings, and exit out.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:23 AM

A shootout with my "Shoot the Messenger" ?

Control Panel/Performance & Maintenance/Administrative Tools/Services

This is what Platform ? Windows XP ?

Shoot the Messenger works with Windows NT/2000/XP
http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

The file size is 22kb (not a misprint)

maybe I just like it because of the name chosen but it's a one click deal and you never see it again.... or those Pop-ups. nice to have in the little folder where I keep Security software.

Last edited by rondon; 06-16-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:54 PM

Sorry, yes thats for XP.

Shoot the Messenger is certainly the easier way.

Just thought I'd give a little info on what it does, and why.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:40 PM

gary,

actually, that method wont completely work for killing microsoft messenger. if you're also using outlook or outlook express as your email client, it will re-enable messenger in your services list. now, that may have changed since service pack 2, i dont know; i dont use sp2. i know, i had this happen regularly until i found the cure.

and the cure is, you have to edit one of the messenger files to change the 'HIDE's in it to a blank, then uninstall it completely using the add/remove software app in control panel. otherwise it will just keep re-appearing when using outlook express.

Craig
Old 06-16-2005, 04:37 PM

different pop up ?

are you talking about the chat ... microsoft messenger craig? whole different thing.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:46 PM

Kraellin,

as Rondon has pointed out you're talking about Microsoft Messenger which is shut down using another method if you don't want it.

If you read my first post, you will see I explain the difference between this, and the Messenger service which is used as a Spam exploit.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:09 AM

gary,

my bad, i mis-spoke. i am talking about the messenger service and not msn messenger. so, anywhere i said 'microsoft messenger', i meant the microsoft messenger service.

and thanks.

Craig

RetouchPRO > Tools > Product Review Discussions