RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Product Review Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Review Discussions Threads created automatically by the reviews system. Post your actual reviews over there.

Firefox

Old 05-21-2005, 09:14 AM

Question Firefox

Awhile back when we were having problems with spyware someone here suggested Firefox. I am thinking of using it but have some questions first.

If Idownload it does it take over for IE ? Meaning will I still have that browser on my computer as well after I put Firefox on ? If both are installed on here can I go back and forth if I want to?

Has anyone here used it and if so could you please comment on it and the pro's and con's. Silly question here but will ask anyway. Will I still have my same e-mail program , I use Outlook Express. Any information given will be greatly appreciated. Neb
Old 05-21-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebgranny
If Idownload it does it take over for IE ?
Not necessarily, you choose which browser will be default.
Quote:
Meaning will I still have that browser on my computer as well after I put Firefox on ? If both are installed on here can I go back and forth if I want to?
No problem at all. You can even have them both open at the same time
Quote:
Has anyone here used it and if so could you please comment on it and the pro's and con's.
Big pro - you can open a new link as a tab on the browser page, if you press <ctrl> at the time it's automatic and you don't leave the page you were on. So when you open the forum page you just go clicking away on everything you want to open. You won't want to go back to IE after that.
Small con - there are a few incompatabilities, but every day they are less
Quote:
Will I still have my same e-mail program , I use Outlook Express.
No problem
Quote:
Any information given will be greatly appreciated. Neb
My pleasure.
I think Gary knows a lot more about this, so maybe he'll be along soon to help out some more.

Old 05-21-2005, 12:08 PM

Hi Neb,

Firefox is a stand alone browser, it does not prevent you from using IE if you want.

When you install it, it asks if you want to make it your default browser, by clicking yes, you just make it the 1st browser your PC will try to open, it will not compromise IE in any way.

Once installed, read the help files. There is an import function, that allows you to install all your settings from IE. So all your Favorites (they're called Bookmarks in Firefox), your e-mail client settings etc are copied over to Firefox (you can still use them from IE). Outlook Express (or any other e-mail client) is opened from the toolbar just like IE.

Advantages of Firefox:- Tabbed Browsing, Popup Blocker, Inbuilt Google Search Button (can be extended to include other Search Engines), Better Security (Active-X components don't apply in Firefox, and most spyware (but not all) has not been written for it).

Because of the lack of Active-X, some web functions are not available for Firefox, but these are few and far between.

Firefox can be extended, to enable a whole host of features, by installing free plugins from the homesite. There is one that enables you to open IE by right clicking, I recommend this, as it makes it easy to open the odd page that does'nt run fully in Firefox.

Another plugin I have is a Javascript blocker, that allows me to only allow Javascript to be enabled on trusted sites (like here at RP) thus making it even more secure.

I've been using it for a couple of years, during that time I've had absolutely no spyware infestation, despite browsing some pretty dubious sites at times.

Hope this helps you decide to install. Any more questions just post, I'll be glad to help if I can.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:15 PM

For a more enhanced web tabbed browser which retains more compatibility with IE I suggest Avant Browser (it’s freeware).

http://www.avantbrowser.com/
Old 05-21-2005, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Silly question here but will ask anyway. Will I still have my same e-mail program , I use Outlook Express. Any information given will be greatly appreciated. Neb
I've gone over to Thunderbird (Mozilla's email software). It's way better than Outlook Express. Has a wonderful feature of identifying what you regard as junk. It can also be set up so that mail does not open automatically in a viewing pane.

As others have said, tabbed browsing is really great.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:48 AM

I'd definately agree with all of the above. I only use IE now for pages that have been optimized to work with that browser only. Firefox is a much better browser and is updated much more frequently than IE.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:40 PM

Talking My Two Cents

I really bet on Firefox, I repair computers all the time and most of the Adware [Malaware] is targeted for IE...
So my 2 Cents go for Firefox...
Old 05-23-2005, 04:17 PM

I'd just like to add that there's no way to get rid of IE (if you wanted) if you're using a windows PC. It's needed to download the many updates and security patches from microsoft.
I recommend firefox to anyone, it's extremely easy to use and as Gary stated, there's a lot of plug-ins that can be added to enhance it's browsing features.
And once you start using tabbed browsing, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
I also have been using thunderbird for a while and i've had absolutely no problems with it.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:54 AM

Ok, I finally decided to make the switch to Firefox. I have been looking through all the customizations and all, setting preferences, etc. When I first got it installed I was able to view the pull out menu on the RTP home page, but when I did the black background would flicker or turn white. Now the menu is gone altogether. Can anyone help me with this? Gary? WHere are ya, dude, I need ya - lol.

Thanks,
Dawn
Old 05-27-2005, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STLITE
Ok, I finally decided to make the switch to Firefox. I have been looking through all the customizations and all, setting preferences, etc. When I first got it installed I was able to view the pull out menu on the RTP home page, but when I did the black background would flicker or turn white. Now the menu is gone altogether. Can anyone help me with this? Gary? WHere are ya, dude, I need ya - lol.

Thanks,
Dawn
Yes, I have noticed the same problem with the home page. The color of the background changes from white to grey. I suppose it is a compatibility issue.

RetouchPRO > Tools > Product Review Discussions