RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Product Review Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Review Discussions Threads created automatically by the reviews system. Post your actual reviews over there.

The Photoshop CS Rip-off

Old 09-15-2005, 08:29 AM

Loverly

>>>As far as the Wacom Tablet I guess I probably could do with the smaller one. I just wasn't sure about the space on the pad. I thought maybe it was easier to deal with it if it was larger so that I could make long strokes without having to stop and lift the pen.

There is a a freeform drawing tool in FreeHand that would require you to lift the stylus to draw long sweeping lines. This would also depend on how much you have zoomed into the document. A wider screen view "adjusts" itself to the size relationship of the tablet's drawing surface. If you draw using the pen tool, it is very much like the pen tool in Photoshop in that you lay a point then click on the next spot to lay another point so you can be zoomed in pretty close and scroll the screen to see the next place to set a point.

I started using FreeHand back in the 80's. It had one main feature at that time that Illustrator did not have and that was the ability to import a TIFF file, send it to the background layer and lock it there. Anything on the background layer turns light gray or has the effect of dropping onion skin over the original. You could then go to a foreground layer and "hand draw" the design using the TIFF below as a tracing pattern. As I said before, I can't draw at ALL so the ability to hand trace elements was a boon.

Being out in the swamps of Florida in a very rural area, very few of my clients had camera ready artwork. FreeHand let me scan their letter head and recreate it in a vector format. I once dealt with a new mom and pop bakery that was going to use "Edelweiss" (the flower) as their name and logo. They had no artwork of the flower except on a black tie!! Embroidered!! I scanned that tie, Inverted it in PhotoShop and saved as a TIff then reworked it in FreeHand. The things you do, huh?

Then there was a fire station in New York that wanted beer steins with a picture of a fire truck on it. They sent a color photo. Attached is a JPEG of the final artwork that I did in FreeHand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firetruck_gif.jpg (43.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-15-2005, 01:05 PM

Wink

Tom,It certainly would be a help for me finacially to buy a smaller one!

Thanks for the input!

Swampy
, That sure is a nice lil fire truck! I'm not sure if I will just do vector based drawing or hand draw or both since I don't know how well I will deal with the Wacom tablet yet! I'm really looking forward to getting my lil hands on one soon! I probably will use Corel Painter since I have the tutorials for it already. Guess we will all find out in the next few weeks what I will end up doing! .

Loverly
Old 09-15-2005, 08:16 PM

Loverly, you are going to hate the hell out of the tablet for the first day or two, it is going to drive you MAD....but keep using it for those first few days and you will get it. I honestly almost returned mine, thinking to myself "are these people sick and twisted, how is this easier than a mouse" But once i gave it a chance, i will never ever use a mouse again.

I kept wanting to actually put the tip of the pen down onto the tablet and thats what was messing me up, you have to hold the pen just a few mm off the surface...but after the learning curve it really makes life easier.

and as far as drawing goes, if you are an old skool drawer that draws from the shoulder, the bigger the tablet the better, if you are tight drawer doing it all from the wrist, a small one is just fine
Old 09-15-2005, 09:23 PM

Oh boy Photo678!
Thanks for the warning! That sounds crazy that you don't touch the pen to the tablet! I had no idea about that! Uhg! As far as how I draw I don't even know so I guess I will find out soon! lol Sounds like I need to give myself a year to complete 20 pages with all the learning curves I will experience with the tablet and Indesign! I'm really rather nervous about the whole thing to tell you the truth but I hope it will all be worth it in the end! I do like a good challenge as well as stretching my abilities so this project seems to have it all in one package!
Hugs,

Loverly
Old 09-15-2005, 09:29 PM

YOu will be fine, the tablet really is not that difficult, its just slightly awkward at first. Like I said, give yourself a good day to play with it, open your web browser, click on links, scroll etc etc...you will get the hang of it.

As far as the learning curve of indesign, its kind of steep for those not at all familiar with any adobe products, but if you have played with photoshop at all, you already know your basic way around indesign. I am available all day, so if you ever have any questions or anything, do not hesitate to send me an email or if you use any of the messengers, i can be reached that way as well.

good luck and accept the challenge for it will be worth it.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:57 AM

I touch my pen tip to the pad all the time, it doesn't cause me any problems at all, other than wearing out the tip and pad surface (both easily replaced). But whatever works for you.

Gary
Old 09-16-2005, 06:58 AM

Loverly,

I use the Wacom Graphire tablet and pen for retouching with Photoshop. I also use it for drawing illustrations and general artwork. It is a pressure-sensitive stylus and so is used in contact with the tablet. the harder you press, the thicker the line.(You can also set it up for pressure variation to alter other things)

I haven't used illustrator, so can't comment on its use there.

If it is any help, here's an illustration:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0 copy.jpg (84.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-16-2005, 11:11 AM

Photo 678,Swampy,Tom and Gary,
Thank you very much for your encouragement and information. I really do appreciate ya'all taking the time out to give me valuable information that you have learned. I am definitely one that likes to learn from others hard work( hate to say mistakes)!
I think I like the Intuos3 tablet because it has the buttons on the tablet as well as more pressure sensitivity. I just wasn't sure what size I was going to get. Of course being the all American girl that I am I want the 9x13!

Loverly

Last edited by Loverly; 09-16-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooB
"Adobe® Photoshop® CS2 software, the professional image-editing standard and leader of the Photoshop digital imaging line." -- Adobe.com
Do you think Adobe might try to limit descriptions in order to sell other products? I do. In fact, their rather slim description of what Photoshop can do doesn't nearly cover the territory -- and they do the same with other products. However, even if we take that statement as written above, it doesn't limit to digital photography, as you have done. Images do not have to be derived from photography.

Thinking of Photoshop as something that can only handle digital image editing is fating one's self to wearing blinders. Just a simple example: what does web development (like you can do with Image Ready) have to do with image editing? And if web page creation is not the intent of Image Ready, why is it included in the package? On top of that, it can be used for image creation, text placement, and output control.

I think you are right that occassionally there is one product that handles a job better than another, but without their names attached to your ideas, it is not possible to guess what you are talking about. Placing a limitation on a product do to the company description of it doesn't make sense.

RetouchPRO > Tools > Product Review Discussions