Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Product Review Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Review Discussions Threads created automatically by the reviews system. Post your actual reviews over there.

Review:Epson: Stylus Photo 2200 inkjet printer

Old 03-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by HMMeister

I am a photographer and I have added an Epson 2200 to my peripherals. I have been using an Epson 1280 for years, and I love it. My computer is a Mac G5 running OSX 2.8.1 and I use Adobe PhotoShop 7.0

The 2200 makes beautiful color prints on your Enhanced Matte Paper, but I am unable to match the tones in the sample black and white image supplied with the printer. I am using their Matte Black cartridge on Enhanced Matte Paper. Printing from an 8-bit grey scale file (having no color information at all), using Standard settings I get *very* brown, sepia, images. After downloading and installing the ICC profile from the Epson site, I get very green images. I have spoken with Epson tech support at great length, but they have not been able to help me correct this awful problem even through several guesses at different settings.

Amazingly, Epson Customer Relations ("Mary") told me that there is nothing I can do about the problem. Mary said that Epson is aware that there is a flaw, but that they cannot or will not provide the software fix. She insists that even *her* personal, 2200 won't print like the sample... her's prints green.

I just can't believe that Epson has sold me a machine that will simply not ever print a simple b+w image properly. That would be false advertising, and utterly unlike the many other Epson products I have owned. So I am appealing to you for help.

How do I configure this system to print neutral, untinted, black and white tones, like the sample provided, like the 1280... like nearly every other printer in the world?

Thank you-

Howard Meister
To negate the slightly green cast I get on my HP printer when attempting to print BW, I've found that adding a Color Balance adjustment layer and nudging the Green/Magenta slider towards Magenta just a little has the effect of "subtracting" green.

It isn't elegant and it might take some experimenting to get it right, but for me is better that slightly green.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Thumbs down

Two nearly perfect methods, both better than Photoshop workaround techniques (with desaturation, layers etc) according to people who have gotten good with PS techniques :

1) Just select "black ink only" under Preferences. It'll do exactly that, very nicely, though it'll first tell you that you'll be unhappy with the results. But it's a stupid machine and it's wrong. It just uses your two Epson black pigments, like you'd hope.

2) Download QTRgui
It's wonderful shareware that gives you B&W tone control from cool to sepia/warm using Epson's standard pigments. It's free until you admit to yourself that you like it, then you will of course pay the developer his $50 because you're a good person.

QTRgui requires you to copy your file into a TIFF and print from that...a lossless step and instantaneous.

These both produce very real B&W. The only real disadvantage to "black only" is that it can sometimes look a little 35mm-grainy in smooth highlights. Most people would never notice or would actually like it. QTRgui gives you tone control and perhaps smoother skintones...or perhaps not.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Epson 2200 b+w unwanted sepia cast

Thank you both, Danny Raphael and westsidemaurice.

I'll give your suggestions a try.

Howard Meister

RetouchPRO > Tools > Product Review Discussions