RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Cookbook
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The RetouchPRO Cookbook Recipes, cookery, and foodtalk

Lemon Jelly

Old 03-03-2002, 06:42 PM

Lemon Jelly

OK, I got desperate seeing 2 trees of citrus going to waste. And being that we are not real marmalade lovers here, I figured why not just make straight jelly out of them. Well, I got a big surprise, not only is it easy to do but the results are excellent. It has a sweet taste of fruit jelly with just a tiny tang of lemon and the combination really is good. I can't understand why the food industry doesn't make jellies out of citrus. It's excellent.

So here is what I did.

3 3/4 cups of lemon juice
7 cups of sugar
2 (3 oz. pkgs.) pectin

Juice the citrus and combine in a pan with sugar and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Remove the foam on the top of the mixture and add the pectin. Pour it into sterilized jars and lids. Screw on the covers and turn upside down for 5 minutes. Turn the jars over and make sure when they cool that the lids are not able to push in.

That's all there is to it. I did the same thing with grapefruit juice too and it too turns out fantastic. My son hates grapefruit but he loves the jelly. You can do it with any citrus.
DJ

Last edited by DJ Dubovsky; 03-03-2002 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2002, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the recipe. I plan on trying it tomorrow.I've been freezing the lemon juice because I've run out of things to make with them.Might even give the grapefruit jelly a try. There's a food magazine out called " Cook's Illustrated" which I've gotten some very good recipes from.I usually pick it up at Barnes & Noble. Anyway the latest issue has an excellent recipe for lemon pound cake which is very easy because you melt the butter and do the mixing in the blender. The only thing which takes the time is getting the zest although with a new zester rasp that I recently purchased it went much faster.Wouldn't want to let any woodworker on this site know how much I paid for it in William
Sonoma!
Off to watch the X Files. Apparently this will be the last season and they will be starting the wind-up episodes tonight.Really liked the show for many years but it's been disappointing recently. Alias is much better.But I'm curious how they'll end X files.
PC
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2002, 08:53 PM

Glad you liked the recipe. I think you will enjoy the results. I was looking for recipies for lemons that actually used up alot of lemon but with the overpowering element of lemon, most recipies use just a little. I also use it with melted butter about a half and half mix and dip my chicken in it and then sprinkle the chicken with McCormick Lemon Pepper season and or Lemon Herb season. Then bake the chicken for excellent Lemon pepper chicken. It's great.

Ditto on the X-Files. Although, I tend to like the weird/scary single episodes better than when they started all the cloak and daggar series shows. Heard Mulder is coming back for the finale. Ought to be a good one.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2002, 09:15 PM

I love the X-files, too. At least, I used too. I don't like it without Mulder. I wonder if liking retouching and weird shows has something in common?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2002, 01:54 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
That sounds good (both of them)! I'm a kid at heart! My wife makes an excellent lemon pie. She grates up some lemon rind. Do you ever use that?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2002, 02:13 PM

Ed
I love Lemon Pie. As a matter of fact, lemon merangue is one of my favorites. Sounds good. From all the recipies listed already, I think you may have touched on a tasty topic that appeals to everyone.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2002, 02:57 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I had a ton of posts to go through, and just got to the recipes. Now I'm getting hungry! It can only get bigger and better!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2002, 04:57 PM

The lemon jelly came out great . Used 2 pouches of the liquid pectin. Wonderful taste. May add some of the rind the next time to make a marmalade .I did make a real mess however when I took my eye away from the pot for 5 seconds ands it started to boil over. Looked like a volcanic eruption! Stove needed a good cleaning anyway.Hope that I got it all cleaned up or I'll have every ant in South Florida paying a visit. ..Had a good lemon mousse recipe at one time...will have to look for it....
PC
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2002, 05:12 PM

Sorry Paulette, I should have mentioned that when it gets boiling all of a sudden it starts to boil up in a bubbly mess if you don't take the heat down fast. I'm glad you liked it. To make the marmalade, you need to boil those rinds to a soft texture.
Yup, you better clean every little speck because those Floridian ants can smell it all the way to Mexico. You know we have a big freezer and I am constantly storing flours, dry mixes, pastas and cereals and more in it because the bugs here are so tough to keep up with. I guess that's the hidden drawback to paradise.
See what you can do to find that mousse recipe. That sounds great.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon > The RetouchPRO Cookbook